WestJet To Launch ULCC

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Arctic84
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: WestJet To Launch ULCC

Post by Arctic84 »

squawk wrote:If you are truly a WestJet Pilot and a millennial then I'm very sceptical about our future. Think long and hard before you vote. Could be for your own demise or your own sucsess. Good Luck to you.

That's the spirit. We are all in it together. The guy who brags about all the money he makes and how he doesn't care about anyone else. Then he tries to make it like he cares about one list and DOH for the regional pilots. Or the guys that only care about paying 2.50 a pay for dues to the company run union.

Every man for himself. That's a hell of a legacy, so no wonder you are sceptical about the future.
---------- ADS -----------

squawk
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by squawk »

Arctic84 wrote:
squawk wrote:If you are truly a WestJet Pilot and a millennial then I'm very sceptical about our future. Think long and hard before you vote. Could be for your own demise or your own sucsess. Good Luck to you.

That's the spirit. We are all in it together. The guy who brags about all the money he makes and how he doesn't care about anyone else. Then he tries to make it like he cares about one list and DOH for the regional pilots. Or the guys that only care about paying 2.50 a pay for dues to the company run union.

Every man for himself. That's a hell of a legacy, so no wonder you are sceptical about the future.
2.50 a pay check? You don't work at Westjet then. It's 20dollars a pay check. I'm starting to think you work elsewhere and would revel in our demise. You have NO Dog in this fight.

Last edited by squawk on Mon May 01, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squawk
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by squawk »

altiplano wrote:
That list does not occur under any ALPA CBA
Your present terms and conditions can't be eroded unilaterally at certification. You would have everything you do today unless you bargained it away.
You are correct. But eventually everything is on the table pre abritration.

Arctic84
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Arctic84 »

I get more bang for my buck at 480 bucks (WJPA) a year, thank you. You can only guarantee me a magazine subscription for 2k a year after I deduct it from my taxes.[/quote]

squawk
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by squawk »

Arctic84 wrote:I get more bang for my buck at 480 bucks (WJPA) a year, thank you. You can only guarantee me a magazine subscription for 2k a year after I deduct it from my taxes.
[/quote]

That's correct. Good on you. 40 times 12 is 480 bucks. Math is hard!

Arctic84
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Arctic84 »

I get paid 26 times a year. So that works out to 520 bucks a year, not 480. So apparently, math is hard!

Maybe it's you that doesn't work here. LOL

The 2.50 a pay makes you all nostalgic tho, don't it.

squawk
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by squawk »

Arctic84 wrote:I get paid 26 times a year. So that works out to 520 bucks a year, not 480. So apparently, math is hard!

Maybe it's you that doesn't work here. LOL

The 2.50 a pay makes you all nostalgic tho, don't it.
Tell you what! i'll through that extra 40 into the kitty. My bet is your job will cost you more and pay you less than it does now, if after ALPA gets in and finally gets awarded a CBA through arbitration. We haven't layed off a pilot in 21 years. You may end up getting payed zero times a year.

Arctic84
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Arctic84 »

Sure I will. It's always been overpriced pilots that bankrupt airlines, never incompetent management.

You just keep on giving back until it feels good. Maybe if you get right back to minimum wage, you can keep working forever at the ULCC.

squawk
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by squawk »

Arctic84 wrote:Sure I will. It's always been overpriced pilots that bankrupt airlines, never incompetent management.

You just keep on giving back until it feels good. Maybe if you get right back to minimum wage, you can keep working forever at the ULCC.
Blaming the company and its management has been union mantra since time in memorable.

Arctic84
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Arctic84 »

squawk wrote:
Arctic84 wrote:Sure I will. It's always been overpriced pilots that bankrupt airlines, never incompetent management.

Blaming the company and its management has been union mantra since time in memorable.
You got me there. It's unions that manage companies into the ground. Always suspected that. Like how I never get tired of hearing how when C3 went out how the union didn't do a thing for the pilots. Was it the union that decided to buy Royal and Canjet without any due diligence? Was the union to blame for the 911 attacks?

Get real.

squawk
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by squawk »

Arctic84 wrote:
squawk wrote:

You got me there. It's unions that manage companies into the ground. Always suspected that. Like how I never get tired of hearing how when C3 went out how the union didn't do a thing for the pilots. Was it the union that decided to buy Royal and Canjet without any due diligence? Was the union to blame for the 911 attacks?

Get real.
I hope someday you find that Airline job for that company that has gotten real.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

These threads over here are interesting and entertaining, and about pretty serious stuff...

- over at the Air Canada section the hot topic is how to keep your nose from drying out while you sleep at hotels :P (but maybe its a good thing when that's all there is to talk about)

hurtin'albertan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hurtin'albertan »

Why don't you guys keep the internal sh!t internal. You make all Wj pilots on both sides of the debate look like idiots carrying on like this. Who are you trying to convince here, the kid flying a beaver in Butthole, NWT who is trying to figure out how to apply to Encore?

Seriously. grow the f-up and stfu in public.

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

This topic kinda concerns everyone as it's a ripple effect in the industry, not just WestJet

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

Outsiders need to realize that 90% of the bafflegab being posted here is coming from one individual using several accounts.

NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NewCommercialPilot »

Between yourself and Arctic84, and a few others, you really don't seem possible of addressing arguments, or the points raised in them. Instead, you attack the character of the poster.

Very telling.

Cheers!!!

:D :D :D

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

infiniteregulus wrote:This topic kinda concerns everyone as it's a ripple effect in the industry, not just WestJet
Increasing wages and improving working condition for Wesjet pilot should be good for everyone yes no? There is a reason the wage at Air Canada is not increased like South of the border. They don't have to increase it when they are the best game in town. If Westjet can retain more pilot maybe Air Canada will have to do something to be more attractive.

Smitty
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Smitty »

Arctic84

We have paid reserve in the current contract. It's called OCD and it's been used more often in the last 3-4 months and not just for those the part time pilots. Westjet has also implemented pay for some of those long sits. I can only guess as to whether this trend will continue, but I think it's disingenuous to ignore that to paint such a negative picture.

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

Smitty wrote:Arctic84

We have paid reserve in the current contract. It's called OCD and it's been used more often in the last 3-4 months and not just for those the part time pilots. Westjet has also implemented pay for some of those long sits. I can only guess as to whether this trend will continue, but I think it's disingenuous to ignore that to paint such a negative picture.
+1

Things are good here. I'm on the fence about alpa. Yes the wjpa has made errors, no one will refute that. They aren't 100% independent of management influence and I want representation that is. Look at how complex an operation we've become since 1997 and how much bigger we're going to get over the next decade. Seeking professional independent representation to look after our own and maybe also the industry's best interests while management looks after the company's best interests is rational thinking. What bugs me is the rhetoric I hear from both sides.

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

http://www.bnn.ca/westjet-posts-45-fall ... t-1.740336

"WJ posts 45% fall in Q1 profit"

“To do the best job of it, we need to lower our costs even more..." - Saretsky

Going to take a lot of cheap pilots to clean those flashy B787s

Return to “WestJet”