Terminated Apprentice AME

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

thsa00458
Rank 0
Rank 0

Terminated Apprentice AME

Post by thsa00458 »

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice. I was dismissed after 13 months from my first apprenticeship 3 months ago and I've been very unsuccessful looking for work. I'm still unclear on why I was dismissed, but it was without notice (though I had a feeling something was up) and the reasons were inconsistent. The termination letter was, in brief, describing some generic concerns they had; in the termination meeting i was told that one of the Licensed AMEs I was working under said I consistently did not follow instructions (honestly the first time I heard of that); and the ROE said I was not a good company fit, though I felt T was doing well (and took all constructive feedback to heart) and became friends with most of the crew. I've always prided myself in my work ethic, so needless to say, it was a surprise. On top of that, since this employer is quite honestly my only experience in aircraft maintenance, I asked my crew chief (who seemed to be on my side for the whole ordeal) for a reference, but he refused, saying that it would be awkward and complicated. That AMO is the only maintenance organisation in my town.

I'm not writing to discuss whether there was cause for my dismissal because I'm ready to move on. However, I'm looking for some advice on finding work after having been fired. I list my former employer on my resume, and I disclose the fact that I was dismissed truthfully, despite not being able to offer any references. For the past year, as you can imagine in this industry, the only people I was associating with at all was at that AMO, and to not be able to get a reference from anyone hasn't been helping my case. Despite the fact that I have a growing family (two kids and one more on the way), I've been applying and cold calling all across the country. If you are a hiring manager at an AMO in Canada, chances are you have or will soon be receiving a call from me. What can I do to improve my chances of making it through your hiring process? Should I keep trying? Should I find another aviation job and try again in a couple years? Should I just leave aircraft Maintenance?

Any suggestion, discussion, or advice is openly welcome and appreciated.

-Fired and frustrated
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Terminated Apprentice AME

Post by co-joe »

I'd leave the dismissal off the resume, but be prepared to discuss it at length at any point along the process. Personally I think you're better off to accept responsibility for the mistakes made and own up to them. Maybe they had no reason, maybe the boss wanted to hire his buddy but you were in the way. Sometimes the hardest lessons are the ones that serve us the best in the long run. Blaming others or not owning the experience makes you look at fault, whether you are or not.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

I would spend the small amount of money it costs to consult a lawyer. There are strong laws in this country about employment and dismissal without cause is one of them. I recently read that even during probation they need a good reason to toss you. Look into it.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Ditch the aeroplanes altogether, and run to your nearest import car dealership. Sign on there, and learn all that you can, while working 9-5 on workdays (warm, inside, no bugs, no midnights....) After 5, 7, 10 years, quit, and build your own business specializing in the cars you were just repairing.
I just took my car to the local dealership - $140/hr for mx; found a local guy who'd worked at the same dealership for 13 years, and had struck out on his own..$90/hr. still a kick in the..., but a lot cheaper!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Good advice from North Shore with the possible exception of what cars are changing into, perhaps similar to cart repair or blacksmithing? And once you strike out on your own you get the same headaches as any other business owner.

Unless you are very specialized, I would never be an ame, just like I would never be a helicopter pilot in Canada - working conditions.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
kilpicki
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by kilpicki »

You are going to move your family to anywhere a job is offered and support them on apprenticeship wages?

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

If the crew chief was in any way "on your side", I don't see why he would not give you a reference accordingly. As long as the contact # was not via work how would "work" know? I think the crew chief is either exceptionally paranoid of his workplace, he really doesn't think your performance is worthy of recommendation, or both.
What indications did you feel you had that you were doing well?
I was dismissed, but it was without notice (though I had a feeling something was up)
In all honesty, if you felt that for any long duration you should've worked on preempting the eventual outcome by finding a new place to work and avoiding the situation you're now in.
Unfortunately, we get to hear only one side of this story, so who really knows what to make of the story, but I would also not mention you were dismissed on the resume either. Just list your work experience and time there.
I'd personally suggest leaving aviation, especially with three kids. Unless your wife makes a shit ton of money I have no idea how a apprentice AME could afford to even drive to work with that overhead.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I'd speak to a lawyer because you are likely entitled to some severance. The other thing you can do is threaten to sue them for wrongful dismissal and use that as leverage to have them agree to say you were terminated without cause (ie laid off). This way you can collect EI and it's not an issue when you reapply for a job.

Return to “Employment Forum”