Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, Sulako, North Shore

av8ts
Rank 7
Rank 7

AC to start new loyalty plan

#1 Post by av8ts » Thu May 11, 2017 5:10 am

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1135

What a great scam. Sold Aeroplan for huge profit and will now start another loyalty plan. In a few years lather, rinse, repeat
---------- ADS -----------

fish4life
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: AC to start new loyalty plan

#2 Post by fish4life » Thu May 11, 2017 5:55 am

Or brilliant on the part of AC.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 7
Rank 7

#3 Post by YYZSaabGuy » Thu May 11, 2017 7:54 am

av8ts wrote:http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1135

What a great scam. Sold Aeroplan for huge profit and will now start another loyalty plan. In a few years lather, rinse, repeat
I'm not sure where your "scam" is. AC hasn't owned Aeroplan since 2008. Presumably there is no contractual restriction with Amia against launching a competitive program 9 years on. And could a new program be any worse than the current Aeroplan, with its hugely crappy website, limited seat availability, and poor departure/arrival times (at least on the routes I'm interested in)?

Old fella
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

#4 Post by Old fella » Thu May 11, 2017 1:01 pm

YYZSaabGuy wrote:
av8ts wrote:http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1135

I'm not sure where your "scam" is. AC hasn't owned Aeroplan since 2008. Presumably there is no contractual restriction with Amia against launching a competitive program 9 years on. And could a new program be any worse than the current Aeroplan, with its hugely crappy website, limited seat availability, and poor departure/arrival times (at least on the routes I'm interested in)?
Correct. If one is flexible in their schedule, don't mind late night red eye departures and/or very early morning routing well it(reward miles) is useful. And yes, the Aeroplan web site is next to useless. If AC controls their own reward plan perhaps there may be better flexibility. Last time I used Aeroplan rewards was from YHZ-YYZ-SFO and back although had to use Star Alliance(United) red eye back through Dulles -YOW then back. Everything coordinated great but a very long trip back with the layovers.

FADEC
Rank 2
Rank 2

#5 Post by FADEC » Sat May 13, 2017 7:42 am

I have had many good experiences with Aeroplan. I travel to the other side of the world. Why change what works?

This feels like the selling and subsequent destruction of AVEOS. AC sold it, then engineered its' destruction.

This feels the same; AC sells Aeroplan, and now engineers its' destruction.

gasbag1
Rank 1
Rank 1

#6 Post by gasbag1 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:57 am

The root cause is the monetization during bankruptcy at AC. Who made the money, Robert Milton, Cerberus, GE Capital and more than a few foreign Banks. Likely Aeroplan should never had been spun off by the AC BOD and Milton, now the pendulum swings back to where is should have stayed in the first place.

Return to “Air Canada”