What do you think of the new uniforms?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

What do you think of the new uniforms?

Post by Black_Tusk »

Finished up my fitting for the new uniforms. I think it's a good upgrade in quality of material. The pants alone are about 10x better than what was used before. They have a nice stretch to the fabric and are much slimmer in the leg. The zip up jacket is kinda neat too. It's also nice to see the new shirts with the padded sweat absorbent collar.
---------- ADS -----------

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: What do you think of the new uniforms?

Post by aV1aTOr »

Good to hear, but to be honest I think a couple potato sacks sewn together would be superior to the last pairs of pants I received. Quality of materials used seemingly went way downhill when unisync took over. Here's hoping that trend reverses.

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

How much thinner are the pants? I don't have too large of a waist but do have bigger quads, will they look like yoga pants?

My fitting is next week so time will tell...

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

Black_Tusk wrote:Finished up my fitting for the new uniforms. I think it's a good upgrade in quality of material. The pants alone are about 10x better than what was used before. They have a nice stretch to the fabric and are much slimmer in the leg. The zip up jacket is kinda neat too. It's also nice to see the new shirts with the padded sweat absorbent collar.

Are we getting the "A Cut Above" brand shirts? I was about to place an order on my own because our unisync shirts are either just right in the shoulders but too small in the neck or vice versa. I've used the cut above brand in the past and loved the collar. I guess I have a big neck...

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

ZBBYLW wrote:How much thinner are the pants? I don't have too large of a waist but do have bigger quads, will they look like yoga pants?

My fitting is next week so time will tell...
I squat and dead lift and always have trouble fitting pants because of my quads and butt, but found they fit well. The pants are not that much thinner, just enough to look fitted without being too tight. I ended up going one size up on the waist, but in short inseam. Have a bit more room in the quad but still good fitting at the calf. The guy who did my fitting said a lot of the older pilots aren't liking the new setup but all the younger ones love it. The zip up is neat, it's made of a technical type fabric, and the ties are embossed with the rondel. And much more narrow.

The shirts are not acutabove but similar. I'll probably keep wearing my cutabove shirts though because the fitted ones at the boutique are still quite baggy for me. But they are a huge upgrade from the last ones.

pigboat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pigboat »

Us Old Pilots! We prefer tradition. TCA/Air Canada pilots have been in an Air Force blue uniform since 1937. Pilot wings have changed 5 times since 1937. The simple TCA and original Air Canada straight bar wings were far better than anything since.

Improvement in uniform material quality is welcome but the new design is not! :rolleyes:

Regards, An Old Fart.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Hey, they kept the double breasted jacket! That is something I guess. :)

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I found the pants way too tight in the legs too! But much more comfortable in the waistband. Shirts are better than what was beforehand. I like the tie! I like the black! Not a fan of the zip up though.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

The zip will take time to get used to, especially since I really like the one we have now. I wear it every day.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

Did my fitting today. I think the tie is terrible. The silk makes it feel cheap and it is skinny, making a double windsor knot look terrible. The pants are also too thin in the calve, but if I were to go up a size the rest of the pants would be huge.

I think the folks a little bigger than myself are going to have a tough time feeling comfortable. I get that fit and form are important for the company image, but I have to wear these pants for 12 hours a day. Some comfort is good.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

skypirate88 wrote: I think the folks a little bigger than myself are going to have a tough time feeling comfortable. I get that fit and form are important for the company image, but I have to wear these pants for 12 hours a day. Some comfort is good.
This is the problem with a 'designer' making a 'fashionable' uniform. Those left to wear it in the real world usually end up bearing the brunt of the faults.

The two helping me out both agreed that there were some amendments that needed to be made in sizing.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

There should be two fit options for the flat front pants. Those looking for the skinnier european look (and can actually fit it) and one more like the past fit.

The thing that annoyed me, was I had to spend a decent amount on my last pants to make them fit properly without looking like MC Hammer. So the new ones for me, and my body type they fit OK.

I agree, the tie looks pretty thin, and I noticed the clip on didn't like to stay under the wide shirt collar.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Black Tusk, I asked, because I was quite curious.. A lot of the pieces that were available for fitting were NOT the finished product. They were simply there for sizing. Including the tie.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Shirts are great, but I cannot wear the pants....I will tear the knees and calves apart. Wayyyy too tight.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Hat - only the HUGE size now. We'll all look like admirals.
Wings - not a fan at all. Maybe I'll get used to them.
Shirts - liked them
Rain coat - I looked pregnant
Coat - not a fan. I liked the topper coat.
Tunic - never wear mine anyways so meh.
Tie - agree with what's posted here. So long double winsdor
Pants - really liked them but I'm a thin guy

My 2 cents.

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

atphat wrote:Hat - only the HUGE size now. We'll all look like admirals.
Wings - not a fan at all. Maybe I'll get used to them.
Shirts - liked them
Rain coat - I looked pregnant
Coat - not a fan. I liked the topper coat.
Tunic - never wear mine anyways so meh.
Tie - agree with what's posted here. So long double winsdor
Pants - really liked them but I'm a thin guy

My 2 cents.
Hat - Admiral look will suit the new beards.
Agree on every thing else.

There should be another option for the pants. One of the guys I was with was having some issues.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

ZBBYLW wrote:
Hat - Admiral look will suit the new beards.
Beards?

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

I heard that at AC, "designer stubble" is now permitted... :roll:

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Canoehead wrote:I heard that at AC, "designer stubble" is now permitted... :roll:
I would be surprised at that. Not really AC style.

I am in favour of beards (closely cropped). That appearance standard exists fairly commonly outside of AC. But the "I forgot to shave this morning" look is not very professional.

I know that there is at least one Express carrier that seems to be operating to the "whatever you feel like" grooming standard. Considering the shared uniform, it does not reflect well on others.

Hopefully the final appearance standard will apply equally to AC and Express.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

:lol:

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “Air Canada”