YRL - The good the bad and the ugly

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

YRL - The good the bad and the ugly

Post by valleyboy »

I was sitting here today thinking back and an idea popped into my head that maybe an OCA reunion would be interesting but then I thought WTF maybe a Red Lake reunion would be even better but even better than that maybe a NWO reunion since Red, Sioux,Pickle, Kenora and Fort Flunk were all closely tied in the bygone years. Connecting it to the Norseman Days of 2018 (time to give Red Lake to prepare -- haha) might just give that some aviation injection I think it's been lacking in the last few years. I think it would be a great trip down memory lane for many and to see pilots from airlines that have faded away over the years who were major players in the past would help keep the history going. I might just be blowing smoke up my own ass but the idea is still intriguing. Any thought or support. It would take some organizing and hopefully welcomed as a recognized part of Norseman Days 2018 ----
---------- ADS -----------

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: YRL - The good the bad and the ugly

Post by NWONT »

I made the trip to Red Lake last year...or was it two years ago, when they dedicated Norseman Park. They had a get-together at the Lakeview before the dedication. I was the only geezer pilot there until the last couple of minutes. I asked the other two late-comers what was going on? They said there is no interest anymore and Norseman Days is just a kids carnival and a rock concert. All the old guys are dead or too old to be involved. There was just one flyable Norseman on Howey Bay and I don't think it even flew. I was on my Harley at 7AM next morning heading down the highway. The era has passed..........

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

valleyboy wrote:I was sitting here today thinking back and an idea popped into my head that maybe an OCA reunion would be interesting but then I thought WTF maybe a Red Lake reunion would be even better but even better than that maybe a NWO reunion since Red, Sioux,Pickle, Kenora and Fort Flunk were all closely tied in the bygone years. Connecting it to the Norseman Days of 2018 (time to give Red Lake to prepare -- haha) might just give that some aviation injection I think it's been lacking in the last few years. I think it would be a great trip down memory lane for many and to see pilots from airlines that have faded away over the years who were major players in the past would help keep the history going. I might just be blowing smoke up my own ass but the idea is still intriguing. Any thought or support. It would take some organizing and hopefully welcomed as a recognized part of Norseman Days 2018 ----
Well I think it would be a great idea. There are still enough of us left from the halcyon days of flying in NW Ontario to have a reunion. Lots of work to organize though.

In the same theme a reunion of anyone ever connected with Yukon Aviation is planned in Whitehorse this July, I think it is the same weekend just before Oshkosh starts.

AP

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

I am getting more input locally and there could be interest. Even if it was just a small hard core group it would be worth it. I would also like to suggest it be opened up to anyone involved. Engineers were major part of it all as well. The owners are certainly gone but there are a few "old timers" still kicking around as well as newer generation. The venue is also flexible. If Red Lake doesn't work or show interest there are other choices with possibly better facilities as well. Norseman Days is losing it's aviation based theme maybe just a good old fashioned "Freeze UP" soiree might be in order.

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

valleyboy wrote:I am getting more input locally and there could be interest. Even if it was just a small hard core group it would be worth it. I would also like to suggest it be opened up to anyone involved. Engineers were major part of it all as well. The owners are certainly gone but there are a few "old timers" still kicking around as well as newer generation. The venue is also flexible. If Red Lake doesn't work or show interest there are other choices with possibly better facilities as well. Norseman Days is losing it's aviation based theme maybe just a good old fashioned "Freeze UP" soiree might be in order.
You may be onto something with a "Freeze Up" shindig. Perhaps more people would be able to attend then in the middle of summer. Also a central location like Dryden might work. Not sure of facilities in YHD like banquet rooms etc.

AP

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

Lots of banquet rooms, etc, in Dryden. BTW, some local jackoff who knows nothing about writing has written a book and some of it is about this topic. He's a poor excuse for an aviator by todays standards and by no means an example for young aviators. He also has a Facebook page called "Habitual Lawbreaker" which gives you an idea the kind of person he is. Rumor has the book is being printed now and will be available in a couple of weeks.

Attachments
17904521_1858659520827056_82119255204347793_n.jpg
17904521_1858659520827056_82119255204347793_n.jpg (68.98 KiB) Viewed 4939 times
CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

And if some jerk wanted to buy a copy, what is the best way to get their hands on it?

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

I hear that this embarrassment to aviation will announce it on "Habitual Lawbreaker" when the books and the bills are in hand so he can figure out how much everything will cost to put a price on it. Shipping cost will be determined, etc. "They" said this would be cheap and easy to do.....it's neither!!!

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

OK then a combined book signing and freeze up party. :smt040 Thinking of venues there are actually only 3, well 4 that we partied at. Red Lake, when there was an official party, but others of memorable events were Kenora, Fort Frances and Winnipeg.
Obvious all have their benefits. Accessibility being a main consideration for guys using airline benefits. I think first step is to see what interest there is and go from there. Small response, small venue and adjust accordingly.

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

If Dryden is chosen. 50 or less, could use Dryden Flying Club, deck overlooking the lake with what floatplanes there are left decorate the shoreline (there is a Facebook page) more people, Riverview Lodge, more yet, Best western....I'm sure there are more.

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

Fall is rapidly approaching. Is there still interest in this idea, or did it die a natural death?

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

It's been kicked around a little. Venue location seems to be an issue. We need easy access since most can use travel benefits to get there. Winnipeg seems to be the place of choice. If that's the case I say we just make it a free for all -- haha -- it's hard to know how big or small it could be. I think setting sights a less than 20 and likely closer to a dozen is reasonable. That being the case a hospitality room and a diner and a hotel all within stumbling distance would likely be sufficient place to start. I'm thinking I'm just going to put it out there, find a venue and show up -- see who else does the same. If it grows or catches on there is always bigger and better - maybe we should just do it in loss wages nevada -- haha -- cheers

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”