Westjet doesn't oversell?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Westjet doesn't oversell?

Post by co-joe »

Just saw the tv commercial where WJ says that don't ever oversell flights, and I gotta say I was pretty impressed by this. Are you really able to achieve the load factors you do without overselling?
---------- ADS -----------

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Westjet doesn't oversell?

Post by True North »

I'm pretty sure they never have.

mato
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mato »

I'll bet it's BS. Porter told their contract customer services agents at out stations to tell passengers they don't overbook, but it was known that on certain routes porter over booked flights.

I would imagine certain routes Westjet may not over book. Maybe destinations serviced once a day like London. But routes where they have 5 plus flights daily like YYC YEG, I think they are full of it if they say they don't overbook. I could be wrong though!

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I saw it on tv so it must be true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1ECNvo6DMQ

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

mato wrote:I'll bet it's BS. Porter told their contract customer services agents at out stations to tell passengers they don't overbook, but it was known that on certain routes porter over booked flights.

I would imagine certain routes Westjet may not over book. Maybe destinations serviced once a day like London. But routes where they have 5 plus flights daily like YYC YEG, I think they are full of it if they say they don't overbook. I could be wrong though!
We do not oversell tickets, the Sabre reservation system is not configured to allow tickets to be sold beyond seat capacity. Overbook conditions will only occur due to an operational issue such as a seat cap due to weather conditions or an equipment change due to a maintenance issue.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

This is true. WestJet does not oversell flights on purpose. It definitely has a negative effect on the loads on some of the shorter business routes (i.e. LGA where United, AA and AC consistently have higher loads than WJ (through my own observations commuting multiple times each month)). If there are 168 seats on the 737-800, that's all they will sell.

As aerobod outlines above, that doesn't mean there won't be situations where folks get bumped or there are more confirmed guests for a particular flight, but that's in cases where there have been cancellations, IROPs, equipment downgrades etc.

mato
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mato »

Well that's pretty fantastic from the point of view of those who want to commute or fly standby. Wonder how long they will stick this out? They have overbooked in the past? Is this just a new development with all the news on the topic?

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

They have never overbooked, it would actually be in WJ best interest to lobby the government to change the rules and not allow overbooking since it wouldn't cost them anything

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

It appears the new regulations will not prevent overbooking however it will not allow airlines to bump passengers from an oversold flight. The airlines will have to keep increasing the compensation amount until someone volunteers. This is a bonus for passengers, and an airline that oversells becomes more attractive than an airline that doesn't. But a ticket on an oversold flight, volunteer to sit in J class on the next flight and your given more money than you paid for your ticket.

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

fish4life wrote:They have never overbooked, it would actually be in WJ best interest to lobby the government to change the rules and not allow overbooking since it wouldn't cost them anything

Maybe they can speak to certain senators...
lol

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

We've never overbooked.
Occasionally, a plane goes mechanical and has to be swapped out for a smaller one (that always causes problems), but we do our best to re accommodate as best as we can.

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
Lateralus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lateralus »

mato wrote:Well that's pretty fantastic from the point of view of those who want to commute or fly standby. Wonder how long they will stick this out? They have overbooked in the past? Is this just a new development with all the news on the topic?

No its always been this way. This is nothing new.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

flyer 1492 wrote:
fish4life wrote:They have never overbooked, it would actually be in WJ best interest to lobby the government to change the rules and not allow overbooking since it wouldn't cost them anything

Maybe they can speak to certain senators...
lol

Hahaha

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Doesn't happen. I have seen accidental over sells of premium, but otherwise no.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Westjet doesn't oversell, But Saber definitely allows it. If saber didnt allow it then the majority of airlines world wide couldn't oversell.

aerobod
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerobod »

leftoftrack wrote:Westjet doesn't oversell, But Saber definitely allows it. If saber didnt allow it then the majority of airlines world wide couldn't oversell.
It depends on the configuration of the Sabre partition for a given airline, WestJet's partition is not configured for overselling.

George Taylor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by George Taylor »

mato wrote:I'll bet it's BS. Porter told their contract customer services agents at out stations to tell passengers they don't overbook, but it was known that on certain routes porter over booked flights.

Yep, you are wrong.

FAD3C
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FAD3C »

co-joe wrote:I saw it on tv so it must be true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1ECNvo6DMQ
So this is what they were filming a few weeks ago over by the satellite gates in Terminal 3....

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Did you see a guy laying on the check in counter making PA announcements? :lol:

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Dude said they can't oversell cause of saber. Saber aint why they don't oversell. Dont over think this one

Return to “WestJet”