To the North !

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Indanao
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:25 pm

Re: To the North !

Post by Indanao »

:smt024 Well done. I have followed this from the beginning, and was surprised to see that your so far from home over here. It's great to see what can be done with ambition. :wink:
---------- ADS -----------
 
SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: To the North !

Post by SAR_YQQ »

Hey Digits - any more posts coming? I am thoroughly enjoying the trip so far to Churchill.
---------- ADS -----------
 
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7200
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: To the North !

Post by digits_ »

SAR_YQQ wrote:Hey Digits - any more posts coming? I am thoroughly enjoying the trip so far to Churchill.
Yes yes, definately. The goal was to have everything online by New Year. Don't think I'll reach that, but the first half should be possible.
---------- ADS -----------
 
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7200
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: To the North !

Post by digits_ »

First half is published online: http://flytheimpossible.com/

Enjoy, merry christmas!
---------- ADS -----------
 
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
User avatar
culver10
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:35 am

Re: To the North !

Post by culver10 »

I thoroughly enjoyed your pictures and commentary on your website!! Thank you for sharing your trip with us. It would be depressing to know what that trip finally cost in fuel and expenses?
Cheers from Alberta!!
---------- ADS -----------
 
NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:31 pm
Location: YCO

Re: To the North !

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

Glad you had a good trip, Digits. You proved all the naysayers wrong!

Way back when you were planning this trip and seeking advice, I must admit that I had assumed you were heading for the magnetic north pole. I was very impressed that you made it to the real pole!

I'd love to make that same trip with the PA-12 on tundra tires - maybe even land at the pole.

Larry
C-GAMW
---------- ADS -----------
 
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7200
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: To the North !

Post by digits_ »

NunavutPA-12 wrote:Glad you had a good trip, Digits. You proved all the naysayers wrong!

Way back when you were planning this trip and seeking advice, I must admit that I had assumed you were heading for the magnetic north pole. I was very impressed that you made it to the real pole!

I'd love to make that same trip with the PA-12 on tundra tires - maybe even land at the pole.

Larry
C-GAMW
Hi Larry,

if you want to land at the pole, you'll need to go in march/april. You won't even need tundra tires then.

Good luck !

Digits
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
sigmet77
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 335
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:28 am

Re: To the North !

Post by sigmet77 »

Great of you to share your adventure, really enjoyed it and I hope you have part II for your trip south on there soon. Congratulations.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Kestral
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:52 am

Re: To the North !

Post by Kestral »

How did you manage to get 16 hours endurance in a 172?
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
burhead1
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: kinda north
Contact:

Re: To the North !

Post by burhead1 »

Kestral wrote:How did you manage to get 16 hours endurance in a 172?
You have to read his story, he was carrying a fuel bladder. (extra gas) just had a problem with the other bladder. LOL
---------- ADS -----------
 
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7200
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: To the North !

Post by digits_ »

burhead1 wrote:
Kestral wrote:How did you manage to get 16 hours endurance in a 172?
You have to read his story, he was carrying a fuel bladder. (extra gas) just had a problem with the other bladder. LOL
You are right , two times :)

endurance airplane: 16 hours.
endurance pilot: 9 hours. A bit of a problem when the first one is bigger than the second one :)

http://www.chickenwingscomics.com/?p=775
---------- ADS -----------
 
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7200
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: To the North !

Post by digits_ »

Part II is almost finished, but untill then a little movie:



Sorry it takes soo long. But the full story will appear online soon!
---------- ADS -----------
 
NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:31 pm
Location: YCO

Re: To the North !

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

Bravo!
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2735
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Right seat but I own the seat

Re: To the North !

Post by Rudder Bug »

COOL!!!!!
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
culver10
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:35 am

Re: To the North !

Post by culver10 »

I did not see Santa's Village :( :( That is a speedy 172!! :)
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 403
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:17 pm
Location: YQT
Contact:

Re: To the North !

Post by Taiser »

Just found this thread...that was one AWESOME trip.... :prayer:

Wish my wife would give me the go-ahead for something like that LOL.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Arian17
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:13 pm
Location: Germany

Re: To the North !

Post by Arian17 »

Interesting read! Cool flight! What an adventure!
And being allowed to do this in a rental plane...amazing!

How did You get back from Resolute? Your report stops there...
---------- ADS -----------
 
sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:02 am
Location: Muskoka

Re: To the North !

Post by sheephunter »

Digits, I just got home a while back and noticed your updated posting, really enjoyed the video and waiting for more. Brought a smile to my face here first thing this morning. Too bad we couldn't have got the "sno scooter" going. You need to come back for another visit sometime. Take care, Kevin
---------- ADS -----------
 
cranman
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: To the North !

Post by cranman »

Digits: That was a great accomplishment. My late friend Reg Fast did the trip from The Pas about 20 yrs ago in his Super Cub on skiis and landed there to make tea. He had a lot of photos and some video to show us on his return. I can't find any reference to it on the net . His family would have them. He was a heck of a pilot, fixed and rotors. Lost him a few years back ,way to soon, and not to flying..
---------- ADS -----------
 
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7200
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: To the North !

Post by digits_ »

Hi all,

the full finished report is online: http://flytheimpossible.com/

Hope you enjoy it,
Greetings,
Digits
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 6618
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:53 am
Location: A couple of meters away from others.

Post by Beefitarian »

Looks like fun. Are you planning a new adventure?
---------- ADS -----------
 
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7200
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re:

Post by digits_ »

Beefitarian wrote:Looks like fun. Are you planning a new adventure?
Hi Beefitarian,

I must have missed your question a year ago. But I am glad you asked, since it provides the perfect link with my next question.

The New Adventure

I've been busy getting all my Canadian paperwork sorted out, and I will be ready for the Canadian pilot job(less) market in February. I posted my resume here: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=92596

Sooooooo, if any of you might know of a company (preferably in Manitoba) looking for a pilot -or some addresses to visit on my road trip-, I would be very eager to hear about it! I'm available starting February.

My dream job would be flying floats in summer, (light)twins in winter and instructing on the side. I don't have the big airline virus, but of course I wouldn't refuse such a job, or any flying job for that matter. It would be cool if I got to see the North Pole again at some point.

Many thanks again,
Digits
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”