Air Georgian says it goes extra mile for safety.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

User avatar
Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1458
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:18 pm
Location: CYYZ

Re: Air Georgian says it goes extra mile for safety.

Post by Localizer »

That, however, is not the case in Canada, where pilots are paid three times as much as American ones, said Edmondson. He noted the company builds an hour each way commuting time into the 14-hour shift, and also requires those who live further away to travel a day before they go on duty.
Funny .. I never worked at GGN or CMA, but airlinepilotpay.com has the CMA pay rates posted, and unless this guy (Eric) is on glue ...

Image

Again .. I can only assume that the pay rates are close .. Please feel free to correct me ..

Cheers!
---------- ADS -----------
 
Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1213
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:47 pm

Re: Air Georgian says it goes extra mile for safety.

Post by Mig29 »

Close, first officers start around 27K max out around 34.5K.
Captains begin just under 50K and top out after a decade or so around 65K.

I hear few guys keep posting how they are "impressed" with 11GDO and how they only had a handful at their workplace. So what's your point? (forgive me if you were only sarcastic :wink: ) but I also know outfits that run on a 24/7 sked for a full month and 'create' their days off when they don't get called in so they can satisfy CARs. That is NOT legal and if you chose to operate like that, that's your call. But having 11GDO's and flying near 100hrs a month with Time Away From Base over 300hrs is barely enough! People spend on average 160hr away from home at their 9-5 job with 8 days off a month. Does that mean we pilots should get then double that, since we spend double time on the read??? Last time I checked, a hotel in some hick town is not my residence of choice as is sitting at the airport for 5hrs so that I can finish my last turn is not my version of a living room!

.....and when you add all that up, is 27K or 40K a year something to be proud of???? Put that (over)time at any other non-flying job and you will make over 50K easy!!

Just think about it....
---------- ADS -----------
 
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2581
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:07 pm
Location: Negative sequencial vortex

Re: Air Georgian says it goes extra mile for safety.

Post by Meatservo »

I didn't know there were so many nights away from base and 14 hour days. My apologies if I offended any Georgian dudes with my attitude. 12 days a month is OK for normal working people but not if your time on is spent sleeping away from home.

On another note, the chart above seems to indicate that if you stay at CMA for 12 YEARS you'll be eligible for $62000 a year? Be still my beating heart. What an excellent salary for a TWELVE YEAR employee. If I only made 62000 after twelve years, I'd firebomb the fu@kin place. Jeez. Does anyone work there more than 2 years? Do they want anyone to?
---------- ADS -----------
 
If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Phlyer
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 859
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:46 pm

Re: Air Georgian says it goes extra mile for safety.

Post by Phlyer »

Georgian and CMA are completely different companies and have different pay scales.
---------- ADS -----------
 
navajo_jay
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:07 pm
Location: YUL

Re: Air Georgian says it goes extra mile for safety.

Post by navajo_jay »

I don't work for GGN but for another airline, and I just find stupid that we get paid by block hours. Why don't we get paid by duty time. When I check in i'm not home, i'm at work. Normal month is around 200hr hours of duty + the time we spend away from home. I don't think a Zamboni driver is paid by the number turns he does on the ice!! and he's probably paid better than we do!
---------- ADS -----------
 
Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1213
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:47 pm

Re: Air Georgian says it goes extra mile for safety.

Post by Mig29 »

I can only wish navajo_jay!
---------- ADS -----------
 
flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 975
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:27 am

Re: Air Georgian says it goes extra mile for safety.

Post by flyincanuck »

No Auto pilot; no GPS (I've heard that's since changed); +50kt gusty winds; vis down in the RVRs, and 8-leg days. Anytime I didn't grease one on (which of course was maybe once a year :shock: ), I'd look at the CA and sheepishly ask "what did you expect for a $9.21 landing? I threw in the take-off and held altitude at cruise for free."

Those 1900 drivers are the hardest working out there. Probably the sharpest as well. Much respect. What a shameful article.
---------- ADS -----------
 
flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 975
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:27 am

Re: Air Georgian says it goes extra mile for safety.

Post by flyincanuck »

Oh, $9.21 before taxes and deductions. To be clear.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3956
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:46 am

Re: Air Georgian says it goes extra mile for safety.

Post by Inverted2 »

Did you factor taxiing to/from the north end in that? :D
---------- ADS -----------
 
DEI = Didn’t Earn It
flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 975
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:27 am

Re: Air Georgian says it goes extra mile for safety.

Post by flyincanuck »

No, sorry. Forgot to mention that was Halifax. I got out at the gate bought a sandwhich combo at Timmies with my fresh $9. Backseat-driving practice to the north end and back would have been the straw that broke my back.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”