Flying Wild Alaska

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

User avatar
the_cr
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:58 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by the_cr »

canwhitewolf wrote:
Captain X wrote:http://thepiratebay.org/

then use a torrent downloading program

such as http://www.utorrent.com/
********************************************************************

im not the smartest with computers..is this a difficult thing to do?
It is not overly difficult. utorrent is a free program that you download and install and it will run automatically when you choose the shows you want.

thepiratebay is one of the most user friendly sites i've used. If you would like some help shoot me a pm :)
---------- ADS -----------
 
ilovelamp
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 11:07 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by ilovelamp »

What a Beautiful metis girl on that show. Whats her name? I may have to make my up that way for a visit :) Her Marshalling skills need a bit of work haha. Great show so far.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
oldyellr
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:03 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by oldyellr »

---------- ADS -----------
 
ogc
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:52 am

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by ogc »

Go Juice wrote:
ogc wrote:Just noticed they have the first two episodes on tonight on Discovery Canada

Been watchine the Mythbusters today by anychance?
Yes yes indeed haha.

I enjoyed the show, its on par with Ice Pilots I suppose.

A little more interesting talking about some of the struggles in these communities.

Definitely one of my biggest shocks with aviation was actually learning how people live in the north.
---------- ADS -----------
 
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4228
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 am

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by CpnCrunch »

catan man wrote:
CpnCrunch wrote: although I'm not so sure about some (one) of his pilots. If you watch the show, you'll probably know which ex-surfdude guy I mean :)
Has he done something to make you say that?
Yeah, the episode where he was flying "VFR" in the bottom of the clouds with zero forward visibility. Then the kicker was that he said that it's better to do that because if you keep going lower because of cloud you'll eventually hit the ground :prayer:

I realise that if you fly in alaska then VFR-into-IMC is probably a fact of life, but his boss seems to have a slightly safer attitude (and he's been around long enough to show that he's probably doing something right :)
---------- ADS -----------
 
DHCdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:56 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by DHCdriver »

Saw the two shows last night, it's got Ice Pilots beat hands down. The COO seems pretty classy giving the youth a chance at a job(pilot) if they want to put in the hard work and studying.Especially in a troubled community where unemployment is pretty high. It's good to see that in our small aviation family. :prayer: Great show.

P.S. Love the paint job on the 1900.
---------- ADS -----------
 
ogc
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:52 am

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by ogc »

DHCdriver wrote: P.S. Love the paint job on the 1900.
I was thinking that myself, good looking aircraft.
---------- ADS -----------
 
catan man
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:49 pm
Location: the deep south

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by catan man »

CpnCrunch wrote:
catan man wrote:
CpnCrunch wrote: although I'm not so sure about some (one) of his pilots. If you watch the show, you'll probably know which ex-surfdude guy I mean :)
Has he done something to make you say that?
Yeah, the episode where he was flying "VFR" in the bottom of the clouds with zero forward visibility. Then the kicker was that he said that it's better to do that because if you keep going lower because of cloud you'll eventually hit the ground :prayer:
Ouch... I should find that show.
---------- ADS -----------
 
atwork
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:45 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by atwork »

It's an alright show with the made for TV over dramatized crap that most shows like that have, and the ramp chick/daughter is hot and funny. "I'm not a very good eskimo, I hate the cold"
---------- ADS -----------
 
I refuse to go bungee jumping... I came into this world because of a broken rubber, I'm not leaving because of one
godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 863
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:12 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by godsrcrazy »

Both daughters look Hot. No dramatics the COO lands his 185 on a gravel bar on a river gets out unloads then passes up and down the gravel bar to see if he has enough gravel to get out. I wonder if all there pilots fly like that. Land then worry about if you can takeoff.
---------- ADS -----------
 
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4819
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 am
Location: YYC 230 degree radial at about 10 DME

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by co-joe »

ilovelamp wrote:What a Beautiful metis girl on that show. Whats her name? I may have to make my up that way for a visit :) Her Marshalling skills need a bit of work haha. Great show so far.
Agreed. She's completely adorable. The really funny part that had my girlfriend and I laughing our asses off is that she was on an early episode of "Wipeout". They called her Ariel "never been kissed" Tweto. Then she came back on the fan favourites episode and they asked her if she'd kissed a boy yet? Her reply was hysterical. Hard to see her cry though. :(
---------- ADS -----------
 
warbirdpilot7
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:09 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by warbirdpilot7 »

co-joe wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:What a Beautiful metis girl on that show. Whats her name? I may have to make my up that way for a visit :) Her Marshalling skills need a bit of work haha. Great show so far.
Agreed. She's completely adorable. The really funny part that had my girlfriend and I laughing our asses off is that she was on an early episode of "Wipeout". They called her Ariel "never been kissed" Tweto. Then she came back on the fan favourites episode and they asked her if she'd kissed a boy yet? Her reply was hysterical. Hard to see her cry though. :(
Very cute girl indeed......If they added a DC-3 or a B18 to the fleet, it would be totally euphoric for me :wink:
---------- ADS -----------
 
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2562
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:32 am

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by fish4life »

It seems like they are running the 207 IFR, I'm assuming in the US they don't have the rules where only a pt-6 can run a single engine aircraft IFR commercially?
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
burhead1
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: kinda north
Contact:

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by burhead1 »

Show is on tune to Discovery!!
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
the_cr
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:58 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by the_cr »

co-joe wrote: Agreed. She's completely adorable. The really funny part that had my girlfriend and I laughing our asses off is that she was on an early episode of "Wipeout". They called her Ariel "never been kissed" Tweto. Then she came back on the fan favourites episode and they asked her if she'd kissed a boy yet? Her reply was hysterical. Hard to see her cry though. :(
I didn't make the connection until you brought that up, I do remember seeing her on Wipeout :lol:

+1 to your last sentence. She holds it together fairly well but Its definitely tough for some to be in a situation like that. I used to work security where we monitored not for profit inuit housing. It was pretty rough to see some of what we saw there. The housing units we monitored were the only sites where we had authority to enter the individual apartments by force if we needed to :|
---------- ADS -----------
 
172PIC
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:58 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by 172PIC »

Fun show, I'd say I prefer Ice Pilots but no reason you can't watch both. Hoping National Geographic brings their Alaskan Wingmen show here too.
---------- ADS -----------
 
linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1902
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:53 am
Location: On final so get off the damn runway!

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by linecrew »

Anyone else happen to notice that their "splash screen" logo is on a DeHavilland Canada Chipmunk?

Image
---------- ADS -----------
 
murman
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:23 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by murman »

What do you think of that "Alley Oop" and his wife living in the middle of nowhere? I mean c'mon...250 miles from the nearest highway. Oh yeah...that sounds really good! :roll: And, what's with all of the raw meet hanging out? Why is it not turning into a grisly bear's picnic?

I am enjoying the show from the standpoint that it has made me appreciate flying in civilization. :)
---------- ADS -----------
 
ehbuddy
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:55 pm
Location: Halifax

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by ehbuddy »

I have such fond memories of Deadhorse............minus 46 with a 40 kt wind from the North. And that was the one of the better flights we did.................
---------- ADS -----------
 
down north
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by down north »

Flying in the North/Bush is much more enjoyable then flying "in civilization".

How often can you pull over wherever you feel like it and fish for a few hours on a lake that has probably never been fished on while you wait for the clients.
I am enjoying the show from the standpoint that it has made me appreciate flying in civilization. :)
---------- ADS -----------
 
nightguy
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:13 am
Location: yyc

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by nightguy »

You guys have to be kidding me... This is the worst show in the history of TV. Am I the only one who thinks it makes pilots look stupid? The public watches shows like this and thinks this is real.
---------- ADS -----------
 
The FCU is a BFM
kiloindiapapa
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by kiloindiapapa »

All the over dramatization aside. I love it. Love the shots from the helm, the air to airs, the cameras on the fusalage, tail, landing gear.....all of it. Just feeds the need to see cool planes, sweet landing strips, the bush and everything aviation when I am not doing it.
---------- ADS -----------
 
If a pilot walked into a forest and had to make a decision, and no one from AVCANADA was there. Would the pilot still be wrong?
WileyCoyote
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Between a rock and a grain field...

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by WileyCoyote »

I like it alot more than Ice Pilots.... At least it doesnt make us look like we're desperate and we'll do anything for a job...
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 6618
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:53 am
Location: A couple of meters away from others.

Post by Beefitarian »

This.
kiloindiapapa wrote:All the over dramatization aside. I love it. Love the shots from the helm, the air to airs, the cameras on the fusalage, tail, landing gear.....all of it. Just feeds the need to see cool planes, sweet landing strips, the bush and everything aviation when I am not doing it.
I'm not a huge TV fan partially because of unreal reality shows but this one has airplanes! Turn off the sound and put on some tunes if the way it's edited drives you crazy.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Darkwing Duck
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:30 am

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by Darkwing Duck »

murman wrote:What do you think of that "Alley Oop" and his wife living in the middle of nowhere? I mean c'mon...250 miles from the nearest highway. Oh yeah...that sounds really good! :roll: And, what's with all of the raw meet hanging out? Why is it not turning into a grisly bear's picnic?
My thought exactly. And the trees, are they not a little too tall for being north of the Arctic Circle. I have only been past the line a couple times in the NWT and never in Alaska? The trees I saw were a little short compared to those ones on the show.

Another thing I loved was the routing they took to fly those explosives "just about within Russian airspace." Give me a break. I am sure they could of flown straight down the middle of Alaska missing built up communities by a wide margin. "You see any MiGs?" :roll:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Kowalski: Sir, we may be out of fuel.
Skipper: What makes you think that?
Kowalski: We've lost engine one, and engine two is no longer on fire.
Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”