AVEOS LOCKS OUT 3000 WORKERS

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Cat19
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:18 am

Re: AVEOS LOCKS OUT 3000 WORKERS

Post by Cat19 »

[quote="CID"]DanWEC, Premier Aviation is an excellent example of how an MRO can operate in Canada successfully. The success of Aveos (and the failure) does not depend on the government. It's squarely on the companies involved and the workers. There is plenty of MRO work in Canada.[/quote]

The only way an MRO can operate successfully anywhere in the world is by cutting corners on repairs and maintenance. At Aveos, we did everything according to the SRMs and by doing so, the repairs take time and because if this...we could not be competitive. In other words, any MRO that does repairs and maintenance "by the book" might as well close the doors because fly by night joe blow mechanic is going to undercut you everytime. I can't even count how many times an aircraft would come into the hangar that had it's previous check done in another country and we would see the shoddy repair work that they did.

These MROs in Ireland, China , South America and non union places in the US may be able to get the planes out on time and on budget but they are only doing so by seemingly making up their own repairs because from what I have seen, they are definitely not doing them to any SRM that I know of. I saw a flap track fairing on an Air Canada 767 once that obviously had a hole in it about 4 inches in diameter...previous check done in Shannon Ireland... and the repair method used was to just fill the hole with bondo and paint it. Now when they do the paperwork and sign this repair off, what reference are they siging it off to? Nowhere in the SRM does it tell you to just fill damage that size with bondo! Sure...it may just be a fairing but this makes me wonder...what else are they cutting corners on...the engines, the hydraulics, electrical systems? Scary thought!

I fear for the future of aviation. If airlines are going to continue down this path of sending their planes to "Joe's garage" with non union mechanics making $15 an hour who were only hired because their experience with aircraft was..."Well I saw an airplane fly over my house once" , probably have no post secondary training in aircraft maintenance and can't even read English well enough to read the SRM even if they bothered to use it , we are going to start seeing smoking holes in the ground once a week on the news. I don't know about you but I want the plane I'm flying on to be maintained by licenced union mechanics making good money who take pride in their work not some shmuck making little more than a burger flipper at McDonalds who has the attitude that a screw is a screw...once they're in, they all look the same!!

I wouldn't last a week in a place where the lead told me to just use whatever is handy and get the repair done..as long as the paper work is right...who cares what the actual repair is done like. If this is the future of aircraft maintenance...I don't want any part of it!

Make no mistake people...airlines are putting profits ahead of your safety. Airlines have contingency funds to deal with disasters and it is cheaper for them to pay out the families of the victims than to do proper maintenance on the aircraft.

God help us all who choose to fly. You're gambling with your life everytime you board an aircraft these days.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Last edited by Cat19 on Sat May 12, 2012 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:21 am

Re: AVEOS LOCKS OUT 3000 WORKERS

Post by fixnfly »

Deleted
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “Maintenance”