Plane missing in Antarctica
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore
Re: Plane missing in Antarctica
Bob, Mike and Perry
May you all rest peacefully. Blue skies and tailwinds.
God bless.
May you all rest peacefully. Blue skies and tailwinds.
God bless.
Re: Plane missing in Antarctica
It is a small community that we live in .... and when a crew like this is lost, it takes a little of each of us with them. Blue skies and happy landings always Boys ....we will miss you.
THE JOURNEY
Under a cold and starry night, somewhere over a lonely sea,
Two PT6’s warm my soul and thoughts of my past .... they comfort me.
I am a lonely rogue of the sky,
I seek no remorse where I choose to fly.
An airman of fortune, at home anywhere,
A trusted friend, for those who will care.
I control my craft with defining grace
And tears of joy may stain my face.
I dive and roll and loop and spin,
The love of flight in the air so thin.
I skim the rivers in a Northern land
Of evergreens and rock and sand.
As the clouds and painted sky unfold,
The setting sun shimmers, like a sea of gold.
The billowing ramparts ascend to the stars,
Where the lightning explodes and the thunder jars.
The currents of air may pound my bones
And hail may slam my wings like stones.
And through the storm, I kept my head
And emerged intact, after all was said.
So I lived to fly another day
My head held high, it was my way.
Life may be hard, but Life is real,
For tough decisions, there is no appeal.
To err is human …. there are few regrets,
I am stronger now to face other threats.
Like an albatross, on the course of Life,
My destination …… beyond the strife.
Family and friends remain close to my heart,
A lonely existence when we’re apart.
A thousand departures and a thousand arrivals,
They are always the same, to ensure my survival.
A cup of black coffee before I begin,
And when the sun goes down, I am into the gin.
My sense of humor is always alive,
My gutsy pride and my will to survive.
I am certain, I don’t push the odds.
I am old and wise, and there is a God.
In a far away land, I am but a squatter.
I chose the back roads …. I fly a Twin Otter.
Home from the Coral, home from the Ice,
Home from the North, I have paid a dear price.
So scatter my ashes on a gentle sea.
I am not dead …. Remember me.
JAMES (JIMBO) PEARCE
29 MARCH, 2011 at BAGUIO CITY, PHILIPPINES
THE JOURNEY
Under a cold and starry night, somewhere over a lonely sea,
Two PT6’s warm my soul and thoughts of my past .... they comfort me.
I am a lonely rogue of the sky,
I seek no remorse where I choose to fly.
An airman of fortune, at home anywhere,
A trusted friend, for those who will care.
I control my craft with defining grace
And tears of joy may stain my face.
I dive and roll and loop and spin,
The love of flight in the air so thin.
I skim the rivers in a Northern land
Of evergreens and rock and sand.
As the clouds and painted sky unfold,
The setting sun shimmers, like a sea of gold.
The billowing ramparts ascend to the stars,
Where the lightning explodes and the thunder jars.
The currents of air may pound my bones
And hail may slam my wings like stones.
And through the storm, I kept my head
And emerged intact, after all was said.
So I lived to fly another day
My head held high, it was my way.
Life may be hard, but Life is real,
For tough decisions, there is no appeal.
To err is human …. there are few regrets,
I am stronger now to face other threats.
Like an albatross, on the course of Life,
My destination …… beyond the strife.
Family and friends remain close to my heart,
A lonely existence when we’re apart.
A thousand departures and a thousand arrivals,
They are always the same, to ensure my survival.
A cup of black coffee before I begin,
And when the sun goes down, I am into the gin.
My sense of humor is always alive,
My gutsy pride and my will to survive.
I am certain, I don’t push the odds.
I am old and wise, and there is a God.
In a far away land, I am but a squatter.
I chose the back roads …. I fly a Twin Otter.
Home from the Coral, home from the Ice,
Home from the North, I have paid a dear price.
So scatter my ashes on a gentle sea.
I am not dead …. Remember me.
JAMES (JIMBO) PEARCE
29 MARCH, 2011 at BAGUIO CITY, PHILIPPINES
Re: Plane missing in Antarctica
My sincerest condolences to the family and friends of these three aviators. RIP 
Re: Plane missing in Antarctica
Very tragic news. My condolences to all families.
I met Bob when I started at Bearskin in 1989. We were in Red Lake and my captain used to work with him at Sabourin. When he introduced us it wasn't just an empty "yeah, nice to meet you," he was genuine and treated me like a friend. A true gentleman.
Years later, he remembered me when we corresponded on here about the possibility of me doing a Twin Otter painting.
Back in Red Lake he had a patch on his flight suit that said 10,000 hours. I imagine he added a couple more since.
RIP boys.
Swamp
I met Bob when I started at Bearskin in 1989. We were in Red Lake and my captain used to work with him at Sabourin. When he introduced us it wasn't just an empty "yeah, nice to meet you," he was genuine and treated me like a friend. A true gentleman.
Years later, he remembered me when we corresponded on here about the possibility of me doing a Twin Otter painting.
Back in Red Lake he had a patch on his flight suit that said 10,000 hours. I imagine he added a couple more since.
RIP boys.
Swamp
Re: Plane missing in Antarctica
I have no words to offer other than my condolences.
I wish the Kenn Borek team and the families of those who have been lost all the best during this difficult time.
I wish the Kenn Borek team and the families of those who have been lost all the best during this difficult time.
Re: Plane missing in Antarctica
I'll add mine to the voices here. I believed they would be cold but ok. Was watching the news and getting frustrated every time I found out the weather wasn't co-operating. Bob, I didn't know you well but from the few chats that we had, I knew you were a class act. It's not every day that someone you never met gives you their home phone number when you've got a heavy decision resting on your shoulders. Mike and Perry I didn't know at all but I have no doubt we would have crossed paths in the future. Everyone I know who knew them spoke very highly of them. To the friends and families of everyone at KBA, our thoughts are with you and we're here to help if it's needed.
We won't forget them.
We won't forget them.
- slowstream
- Rank 7

- Posts: 553
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:15 am
- Location: Canada
Re: Plane missing in Antarctica
Bob I never had the pleasure to meet you or the rest of your crew and sadly, that's my loss!
My condolences to your families, friends and co-workers.
Clear skies to all of you
My condolences to your families, friends and co-workers.
Clear skies to all of you
-
wee_in_yyc
- Rank 1

- Posts: 33
- Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:21 am
Re: Plane missing in Antarctica
Not the news I was hoping to wake up to this morning.
I didn't know these gentleman at all but from what I've been reading it sounds like they shared a lot of their knowledge and passion of aviation as well as life in general with everyone.
I just want to offer my condolences to their families and the team at Kenn Borek.
I didn't know these gentleman at all but from what I've been reading it sounds like they shared a lot of their knowledge and passion of aviation as well as life in general with everyone.
I just want to offer my condolences to their families and the team at Kenn Borek.
Re: Plane missing in Antarctica
My thoughts are of the families, friends and co-workers of these 3 exceptional people and of course those Avcanadians who knew and admired them. My condolences to all.
Re: Plane missing in Antarctica
9 years working and learning from bob. this clip sums him up quite well.
i miss my friend.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOF37fHWx28
i miss my friend.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOF37fHWx28
Re: Plane missing in Antarctica
I didn't know Bob, but from following this thread it's obvious that he was all class and a true gentleman. From the sounds of things, I think the same can be said of Mike and Perry too.
I can't imagine the devastation for the families and for everyone who knew the crew. My prayers are for their comfort in this tragedy.
Rest easy Bob, Mike, and Perry.
I can't imagine the devastation for the families and for everyone who knew the crew. My prayers are for their comfort in this tragedy.
Rest easy Bob, Mike, and Perry.
Re: Plane missing in Antarctica
Condolences to all those affected, especially the families of the crew. This crash represents a huge loss of life to the aviation community.
Although I only talked to Bob on a few occasions, he has left a lasting impression on me. Bob taking an hour out of his busy day to give advice to me over the phone, me being a 17-year old PPL student at the time, speaks volumes to his character.
Godspeed to Bob and the crew. Blue skies ahead!
Although I only talked to Bob on a few occasions, he has left a lasting impression on me. Bob taking an hour out of his busy day to give advice to me over the phone, me being a 17-year old PPL student at the time, speaks volumes to his character.
Godspeed to Bob and the crew. Blue skies ahead!
Last edited by BTyyj on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Plane missing in Antarctica
I lived in the north and experienced the comaradery, the care for each other and strong friendships that last a life time.
I never knew the crew and I can only imagine the grief and loss felt today. My sincerest sympathies to family, close friends, and the avcanada community impacted by this tragic loss.
I never knew the crew and I can only imagine the grief and loss felt today. My sincerest sympathies to family, close friends, and the avcanada community impacted by this tragic loss.
Re: Plane missing in Antarctica
Tonight, we will raise a drink and remember!
Condolences to all family, friends, and the Borek team.
Blue Skies gentlemen, we will see you at heaven's airport again!
Cheers!
Condolences to all family, friends, and the Borek team.
Blue Skies gentlemen, we will see you at heaven's airport again!
Cheers!
-
sky's the limit
- Rank Moderator

- Posts: 4614
- Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:38 am
- Location: Now where's the starter button on this thing???
Re: Plane missing in Antarctica
Just had an early morning Scotch in Bob and the crew's honour. Tragic loss for our whole community, and of course those close to all three men.
RIP guys.
stl
RIP guys.
stl
Re: Plane missing in Antarctica
Bob would have loved this piece by John Gillespie Magee, Jr...probably lived by it:
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air. . . .
Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.
"High Flight" ca August, 1941
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air. . . .
Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.
"High Flight" ca August, 1941
Last edited by swordfish on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
Old Dog Flying
- Rank (9)

- Posts: 1259
- Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:18 pm
Re: Plane missing in Antarctica
May the sun always shine , with the wind at your back. RIP Gentlemen
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Barney
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Barney
Re: Plane missing in Antarctica
A toast of Glen to a gentelmanly aviator and his crew. RIP
Re: Plane missing in Antarctica
As we all have done for the last few days, I am sending my thoughts and prayers to the families and friends of these fine gentlemen. I am also wishing a safe return home for the rest of the crews who still have to work through these difficult times and then journey home. Drive safe please- you are all important to someone who is waiting, like me...
Re: Plane missing in Antarctica
Why, why, why!! I am so sorry for everyone involved. This one hits too close to home. Let's keep this thread positive, no back seat captains trying to speculate. The only thing to remember from this is: at any given time, it could happen to any of us. Fly safe everyone!
Bob, I guess I won't get that chance with you again. I will have a rum and coke tonite. (maybe even a couple). RIP
Bob, I guess I won't get that chance with you again. I will have a rum and coke tonite. (maybe even a couple). RIP
Re: Plane missing in Antarctica
My sincere condolences to all family and friends.
Mike, I always enjoyed chatting with you at CFC, you left us far too soon.
Mike, I always enjoyed chatting with you at CFC, you left us far too soon.
Re: Plane missing in Antarctica
Only met Bob once, but he seemed first class
RIP All.
RIP All.
Re: Plane missing in Antarctica
It is difficult to put into words how this feels. Bob was a class act. A very sincere and experienced aviator. I had the privilege to be taught some ground school from Bob and speak with him several times.
We all know that we are in a profession with inherent risks. Some forms of flying have more than others. These are risks we have chosen to take for our own reasons, and for most of us it is because in our way we are in love with this crazy business of flying. That may not mean much to love ones in times like this. Maybe it means everything.
My sincerest condolences to family, friends and the Borek fraternity. Fare thee well, Bob, Mike and Perry. May the skies be clear and the breezes fair.
Blessings.
We all know that we are in a profession with inherent risks. Some forms of flying have more than others. These are risks we have chosen to take for our own reasons, and for most of us it is because in our way we are in love with this crazy business of flying. That may not mean much to love ones in times like this. Maybe it means everything.
My sincerest condolences to family, friends and the Borek fraternity. Fare thee well, Bob, Mike and Perry. May the skies be clear and the breezes fair.
Blessings.
-
flyer 1492
- Rank 7

- Posts: 561
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:55 pm
Re: Plane missing in Antarctica
My sincere condolences to all the families and to the men and women who work for Ken Borek.
RIP gentlemen
RIP gentlemen
-
Tiny Voices
- Rank 4

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:46 pm
Re: Plane missing in Antarctica
Thanks for posting Bob's bio Sulako. I'm sure when he wrote those words he never imagined they would serve as a beautiful eulogy to a life tragically cut short, but certainly well lived. Bob never would of cut it as an airline pilot. His wander lust was too strong. And he has an impressive collection of photos to prove it. I can only hope that when my time comes, no matter how I meet my fate, that I've lived my life half as well as you've lived yours. Catch up to you over that next horizon bud.






