Flying Wild Alaska
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog
Re: Flying Wild Alaska
The tree line has nothing to do with the arctic circle. Hence you could be above the tree line in northern Manitoba yet below it in, NWT, YT, Alaska.
Re: Flying Wild Alaska
i think he was talking about the size of the trees around the cabin, not the fact that there were trees above the arctic circle. here in Inuvik trees come in many shapes and sizes, including ones that look similar the the trees around the couple's cabin.
Re: Flying Wild Alaska
When did it show them running the 207 IFR?fish4life wrote:It seems like they are running the 207 IFR, I'm assuming in the US they don't have the rules where only a pt-6 can run a single engine aircraft IFR commercially?
In what ways does it make pilots look stupid?nightguy wrote:You guys have to be kidding me... This is the worst show in the history of TV. Am I the only one who thinks it makes pilots look stupid? The public watches shows like this and thinks this is real.
-
Dr. Mcillicuddy
- Rank 3

- Posts: 117
- Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:41 am
- Beefitarian
- Top Poster

- Posts: 6618
- Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:53 am
- Location: A couple of meters away from others.
Wouldn't it be the same as the Prairies? You don't see trees where there isn't a creek unless they are near a farm house where people planted then watered them. Suddenly there's big trees where they would never be without human intervention.jet a1 wrote:i think he was talking about the size of the trees around the cabin, not the fact that there were trees above the arctic circle. here in Inuvik trees come in many shapes and sizes, including ones that look similar the the trees around the couple's cabin.
- Darkwing Duck
- Rank 6

- Posts: 430
- Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:30 am
Re: Flying Wild Alaska
Slats wrote:The tree line has nothing to do with the arctic circle. Hence you could be above the tree line in northern Manitoba yet below it in, NWT, YT, Alaska.
HUH????
You got it Jet A-1. I know there are trees above the arctic circle, my question was, Slats, they just looked a little bigger then the ones I saw the few times I have been to Inuvik.jet a1 wrote:i think he was talking about the size of the trees around the cabin, not the fact that there were trees above the arctic circle. here in Inuvik trees come in many shapes and sizes, including ones that look similar the the trees around the couple's cabin.
Kowalski: Sir, we may be out of fuel.
Skipper: What makes you think that?
Kowalski: We've lost engine one, and engine two is no longer on fire.
Skipper: What makes you think that?
Kowalski: We've lost engine one, and engine two is no longer on fire.
Re: Flying Wild Alaska
I really don't know why everybody is going "ga ga" about this girl, but to each his own.
Generally, I am finding the show pretty hoaky and with each new episode, it is making me appreciate NOT living in that part of the world more and more.
Generally, I am finding the show pretty hoaky and with each new episode, it is making me appreciate NOT living in that part of the world more and more.
Re: Flying Wild Alaska
I personally love the show, sure somethings are hoaky but what isn't nowadays on tv. Ariel, you gotta love her, she so bubbly,always happy,never bitching and complaining. Great show.
p.s. Could someone talk about that 406 ? Don't know anything about it. Can't say I recognize that type?
DHCdriver
p.s. Could someone talk about that 406 ? Don't know anything about it. Can't say I recognize that type?
DHCdriver
Re: Flying Wild Alaska
I'm pretty sure they said 406 and not a 404. I could be mistaken, that is why I'm asking? 
Re: Flying Wild Alaska
\Darkwing Duck wrote: My thought exactly. And the trees, are they not a little too tall for being north of the Arctic Circle. I have only been past the line a couple times in the NWT and never in Alaska? The trees I saw were a little short compared to those ones on the show.
Remember.. the tree-line is not exactly straight.. and doesnt run perfectly parrallel to any of the lines.. Heres a good representation.

Re: Flying Wild Alaska
the reim cessna F406 is basically the 404 body with the wings/powerplant of the 425. air st pierre used to have one, and they are used in the UK for coastwatch
-
co-joe
- Rank 11

- Posts: 4819
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 am
- Location: YYC 230 degree radial at about 10 DME
Re: Flying Wild Alaska
I was also wondering about that "406". Looked like a 425 but with square windows like a Beech 99?
How about the gravel bar landing in the 180 where he lands in what looks like a foot of water? Looked a little nuts to me.
How about the gravel bar landing in the 180 where he lands in what looks like a foot of water? Looked a little nuts to me.
Re: Flying Wild Alaska
anyone else find it funny that the chick Ariel is one of the contestants that appeared twice the show Whipout, couple times in Hanna Montana, as well as recent appearances on talk shows. I would say that because of who she is has alot to do with why her Dad is now on TV.
Just to change the subject abit, also don't ask me how I know that. hahaha
Just to change the subject abit, also don't ask me how I know that. hahaha
-
cooty monster
- Rank 0

- Posts: 9
- Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:02 am
-
Northern Flyer
- Rank 6

- Posts: 437
- Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:40 pm
Re: Flying Wild Alaska
I must say, I really like this show. Ya it's reality TV, but if you can look past the fact that it's over dramatized, it's really a decent show. The country these guys are flying in is just beautiful. Flying off strip is the most challenging and dangerous flying IMHO that a civilian pilot can do. I had the pleasure of flying off strip for years, and loved every minute of it.
You will come across all sorts of personalities while flying, and flying in the north takes a special kind of person. I think that saying "this show makes pilots look stupid" is pretty small minded. Not everyones flying career is cut from the same cloth. Some of us choose to make a life out of bush flying, and have no interest in an airline career. It can be a challenging and rewarding path for those who choose it and are successful. This doesn't make a person stupid.
I look forward to the next episode.
You will come across all sorts of personalities while flying, and flying in the north takes a special kind of person. I think that saying "this show makes pilots look stupid" is pretty small minded. Not everyones flying career is cut from the same cloth. Some of us choose to make a life out of bush flying, and have no interest in an airline career. It can be a challenging and rewarding path for those who choose it and are successful. This doesn't make a person stupid.
I look forward to the next episode.
Re: Flying Wild Alaska
Well said, I've been lucky to have been involved in both worlds, and I have to say I'll never forget my 12 years flying the "Bush". Only left because I couldn't refuse the job I'm presently at right now. I would return in a heartbeat. Happy Flying fellow bush drivers.Northern Flyer wrote:I must say, I really like this show. Ya it's reality TV, but if you can look past the fact that it's over dramatized, it's really a decent show. The country these guys are flying in is just beautiful. Flying off strip is the most challenging and dangerous flying IMHO that a civilian pilot can do. I had the pleasure of flying off strip for years, and loved every minute of it.
You will come across all sorts of personalities while flying, and flying in the north takes a special kind of person. I think that saying "this show makes pilots look stupid" is pretty small minded. Not everyones flying career is cut from the same cloth. Some of us choose to make a life out of bush flying, and have no interest in an airline career. It can be a challenging and rewarding path for those who choose it and are successful. This doesn't make a person stupid.
I look forward to the next episode.
Re: Flying Wild Alaska
Extremely well said.Northern Flyer wrote:I must say, I really like this show. Ya it's reality TV, but if you can look past the fact that it's over dramatized, it's really a decent show. The country these guys are flying in is just beautiful. Flying off strip is the most challenging and dangerous flying IMHO that a civilian pilot can do. I had the pleasure of flying off strip for years, and loved every minute of it.
You will come across all sorts of personalities while flying, and flying in the north takes a special kind of person. I think that saying "this show makes pilots look stupid" is pretty small minded. Not everyones flying career is cut from the same cloth. Some of us choose to make a life out of bush flying, and have no interest in an airline career. It can be a challenging and rewarding path for those who choose it and are successful. This doesn't make a person stupid.
I look forward to the next episode.
I left that exact area in January to pursue another part of my career, and it'll always have a special place in my heart.
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
Re: Flying Wild Alaska
Oh man I am jealous,
The only off strip bush flying I got was from isabelle in pikangikum
The only off strip bush flying I got was from isabelle in pikangikum
-
co-joe
- Rank 11

- Posts: 4819
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 am
- Location: YYC 230 degree radial at about 10 DME
Re: Flying Wild Alaska
Hanah Montana? Seriously? I've never watched that show before either, but you know may have flipped there and lingered longer than a standard blink... but I didn't inhale.
Re: Flying Wild Alaska
watching Ariel take flying lessons was painful, you could see the look of horror on John's face. Thank God I never instructed, there would be a few more unmarked graves
-
co-joe
- Rank 11

- Posts: 4819
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 am
- Location: YYC 230 degree radial at about 10 DME
Re: Flying Wild Alaska
Can anyone with offstrip experience comment on the water landings Mr Tweto does in his 180? He comes in and seems to plant it right in the river and absolutely soakes his bird on landing.Then on departure is airborne at least a few feet before the water. Ok he's much lighter on departure but wow!
Re: Flying Wild Alaska
> So which one is the altimeter?
> Uuuhhhh this one (points to heading indicator)
> No thats the heading indicator
> (Points to everything else)
> You're pointing at everything except the altimeter
(Pan to ground view of Ariel with her talking) "There are lots of those turning dialy things in the plane its kind of weird cause you gotta look at those and outside at the same time"
> Uuuhhhh this one (points to heading indicator)
> No thats the heading indicator
> (Points to everything else)
> You're pointing at everything except the altimeter
(Pan to ground view of Ariel with her talking) "There are lots of those turning dialy things in the plane its kind of weird cause you gotta look at those and outside at the same time"
Daniel Gustin
Online Ground School
Online Ground School
Re: Flying Wild Alaska
Watching her at all is painful. I'm just counting on the editing department making her look like such a bimbo. Deep down in my heart I must believe she's actually a smart girl, otherwise I would never be able to watch the show. The crush she has on Ponts couldn't be more obvious, but I believe he is getting a little disillusioned by her lack of.....rigpiggy wrote:watching Ariel take flying lessons was painful, you could see the look of horror on John's face. Thank God I never instructed, there would be a few more unmarked graves



