Flying Wild Alaska

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Slats
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:35 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by Slats »

co-joe wrote:Can anyone with offstrip experience comment on the water landings Mr Tweto does in his 180? He comes in and seems to plant it right in the river and absolutely soakes his bird on landing.Then on departure is airborne at least a few feet before the water. Ok he's much lighter on departure but wow!
I've done a few gravel bar landings but they were long enough they didn't require dipping the wheels. From what I understand it's fairly common among the hardcore bushwheel Supercub types. Lots of videos all over youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chsD90I8WEk&NR=1
---------- ADS -----------
 
ehbuddy
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:55 pm
Location: Halifax

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by ehbuddy »

At first I thought this show actually had some potential but after last nights episode I am done with it.

The Princess points at the DG and thinks its the altimeter.............maybe taking g/s like everyone else might be in order.

Retarded and a waste of time. IMHO
---------- ADS -----------
 
Last edited by ehbuddy on Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2967
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:59 pm
Location: LA

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by Nark »

It's growing on me. At first it was absolute crap, but since leaving Alaska, the show is growing on me.

When I told people I flew in Alaska, they say, "you mean like on that TV show?"

Makes it much easier to describe what we do (did) when flying in the north.

I became an instructor in 2009, and taught 1 dude from start to end. I flew with a few other folks, and wanted to create a few unmarked graves for sure.
Ponts has a crap load of patience.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
MUSKEG
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 872
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:49 am

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by MUSKEG »

That girl is cute as a button, and dumb as one or smart as a whip and whats coming out is acting. If it's not acting then help us all if she is able to procure even a private licence. If a human could be carbonated she would be the model they would try to copy. I am tired of reality TV.
---------- ADS -----------
 
floatpilot
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:18 am

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by floatpilot »

the more she speaks the less i like her! it's all for show i'm sure but still...she does live in hollywood now.
---------- ADS -----------
 
paul65
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by paul65 »

I'm wondering how they get all the off airport shots. Like Jim landing on the frozen river this week. Does he land, drop off the crew, then takeoff and do another landing for the camera? Same for the takeoff, does he have to come back for the crew? Or is the crew in another aircraft that goes in before, leaves after him?
---------- ADS -----------
 
ybwflyguy
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by ybwflyguy »

Only discovered this show recently, and prefer it over Ice Pilots hands down.

Anyone else notice the weird stuff in the cockpit footage of her flying lessons? Almost as if all footage of her hands and feet is shot after the flight and then spliced in. In one clip she was on final with the mixture at idle cut off, then during the last episode whilst landing with Jim her pitch controls were way exaggerated.

Maybe I was just watching it too closely and should lighten up a little!
---------- ADS -----------
 
180
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 636
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:10 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by 180 »

I just stumbled on the show by accident last night.

The boss was doing some pretty hair-ball take offs and landings in his 180 which were pretty impressive/on the edge.

At first I thought they were following a Mom and Pop shop with a couple of planes but I'm pretty sure I heard him say he had 70 planes. Did I hear right?

Those 207's landing in the big cross winds were right on the edge hey! (Don't forget to keep your cross wind inputs in on the ground too people.)

I think Ariel is a cute kid. She's a beaming 22 year old with lots of character and spunk and I like that. Naive you think? Well she's just a pup and she grew up in the bush so what do you expect? I like her spirit. With 5 hours TT and no ground school, of course she didn't know what anything was. And I agree with the other poster who said the skate board pilot had nerves of steel. Instructing is not for me...I don't even like sitting right seat doing check rides with 1000 hour plus guys.

Flying Wild and Ice Pilots are both entertaining in my opinion. I set up my PVR to catch both of next weeks episodes...

Edited for typos...
---------- ADS -----------
 
Last edited by 180 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2562
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:32 am

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by fish4life »

It was originally a bunch of smaller airlines that have now formed a conglomeration to form a much bigger airline. They have dash 8's and a bunch of other planes
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2967
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:59 pm
Location: LA

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by Nark »

---------- ADS -----------
 
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
RFlyer
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:17 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by RFlyer »

At the bottom of that quote there's a reference to Reeve Aleutian airways. On this week's installment of Ice Pilots when they were in England looking at those Electras, one or two of them still had Reeve painted on them. They looked derelict, though. Interesting if Joe had to fly all the way to England to buy some planes that used to be based in his neighbourhood.
---------- ADS -----------
 
ArcticKat
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:38 am

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by ArcticKat »

180 wrote:
I think Ariel is a cute kid. She's a beaming 22 year old with lots of character and spunk and I like that. I like her spirit.
Keep watching, You'll get over it. ;)
RFlyer wrote: Interesting if Joe had to fly all the way to England to buy some planes that used to be based in his neighbourhood.
There was a segment in which Joe was reviewing the Journey Log for the plane and talked about how quickly it flew from Alaska to England with a stop somewhere in Russia I believe. Just over 14 hours.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 476
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:32 pm
Location: Why Vee Arrr

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by all_ramped_up »

ArcticKat wrote:
180 wrote:
I think Ariel is a cute kid. She's a beaming 22 year old with lots of character and spunk and I like that. I like her spirit.
Keep watching, You'll get over it. ;)
RFlyer wrote: Interesting if Joe had to fly all the way to England to buy some planes that used to be based in his neighbourhood.
There was a segment in which Joe was reviewing the Journey Log for the plane and talked about how quickly it flew from Alaska to England with a stop somewhere in Russia I believe. Just over 14 hours.
ANC-YFB-CVT with 7.2 average per leg was what Joe said on the show.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
oldyellr
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:03 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by oldyellr »

ArcticKat wrote:
180 wrote:
I think Ariel is a cute kid. She's a beaming 22 year old with lots of character and spunk and I like that. I like her spirit.
Keep watching, You'll get over it. ;)
I'm already over it. :wink:

I was taken by her cuteness in the earlier shows, but now she seems like a real ditz. Look closely. Maybe you'll see blonde roots showing. :rolleyes:
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
the_cr
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:58 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by the_cr »

paul65 wrote:I'm wondering how they get all the off airport shots. Like Jim landing on the frozen river this week. Does he land, drop off the crew, then takeoff and do another landing for the camera? Same for the takeoff, does he have to come back for the crew? Or is the crew in another aircraft that goes in before, leaves after him?
Can't confirm it one way or another but the crew probably uses a helicopter. Makes a lot more sense than trying to get 2 aircraft onto some of those strips and gives them a little more freedom to get their shots.
---------- ADS -----------
 
RFlyer
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:17 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by RFlyer »

the_cr wrote:
paul65 wrote:I'm wondering how they get all the off airport shots. Like Jim landing on the frozen river this week. Does he land, drop off the crew, then takeoff and do another landing for the camera? Same for the takeoff, does he have to come back for the crew? Or is the crew in another aircraft that goes in before, leaves after him?
Can't confirm it one way or another but the crew probably uses a helicopter. Makes a lot more sense than trying to get 2 aircraft onto some of those strips and gives them a little more freedom to get their shots.
I think some of the trips Jim makes (for instance) are too far from base for a Helo, but Jim clearly has a cameraman aboard when he goes flying. I think he might land once with the cameraman aboard, then, for TV's sake, might actually take off and land again solo with the cameraman on the ground filming again. But it's TV and very deceptive. They could equally well have gone somewhere completely different and reshot Jim landing on a bar in the river (and maybe with an accompanying helo in that case).

If you look closely enough to see blond roots on Ariel, you will also notice a bunch of continuity problems in the film on this show and especially on Ice Pilots. For all we know, the events of Ariel taking flying lessons were days/weeks/months apart from other segements on the episode. It's however the producers decided to put together the footage they accumulate.

I like both shows, but have no illusions that the narrative is cobbled together from different times/places, etc.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:55 pm
Location: Between a dock and a hard place.

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by Human Factor »

the_cr wrote:
co-joe wrote: Agreed. She's completely adorable. The really funny part that had my girlfriend and I laughing our asses off is that she was on an early episode of "Wipeout". They called her Ariel "never been kissed" Tweto. Then she came back on the fan favourites episode and they asked her if she'd kissed a boy yet? Her reply was hysterical. Hard to see her cry though. :(
I didn't make the connection until you brought that up, I do remember seeing her on Wipeout :lol:
Wipeout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cslbz3X2mQE

:mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Will fix airplanes for food.
User avatar
oldyellr
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:03 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by oldyellr »

You just have to see this. Ariel on Craig Ferguson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb9XJCH0K_I
---------- ADS -----------
 
180
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 636
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:10 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by 180 »

While she might not be discovering a cure for cancer anytime soon, there's no denying her spunk.

(You'd be a little naive too growing up in a community of 700 with only 7 of your cousins in your graduating class.)

I still like her spirit and smile.
---------- ADS -----------
 
amraam
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:17 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by amraam »

Thanks for providing the links...and she definitely won't be finding a cure for cancer anytime soon...but at least she won't date her cousins either!
---------- ADS -----------
 
Dr. Mcillicuddy
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:41 am

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by Dr. Mcillicuddy »

most likely the next vice president for the excited states of america from alaska. :shock: :shock:
---------- ADS -----------
 
paul65
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by paul65 »

A three seat Cub! Interesting...
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
modi13
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:49 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by modi13 »

I'm not too familiar with the rules regarding ab initio training in the US, but how does Ariel do her "training" with line pilots on revenue flights? Are Ponts and her father flight instructors? Do they keep a PTR for her? Is she even allowed to train on aircraft registered for commercial, non-flight training purposes?
---------- ADS -----------
 
paul65
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by paul65 »

At lease some of her flights were not rev flights. The flight with her dad wasn't a rev flight.

Jim at said, when she wanted to start flying that "Ponts is an instructor, why don't you go fly with him". Don't know about Jim.

Too bad they don't teach her about the "basics" first, like just flying the plane (attitudes and movements ???) before they expect her to land the plane. She needs to know what makes the plane go up and down before trying to land it.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
modi13
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:49 pm

Re: Flying Wild Alaska

Post by modi13 »

paul65 wrote:Too bad they don't teach her about the "basics" first, like just flying the plane (attitudes and movements ???) before they expect her to land the plane. She needs to know what makes the plane go up and down before trying to land it.
That's another thing: what about ground school and PGI? And is she going to have to go to Anchorage to do her flight test?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”