Taxis, pilots, and tipping

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

User avatar
Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:44 am
Location: NWO

Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by Strega »

I flew into Pearson earlier today, and had to take a taxi...

Why is it you're expected to tip a cabbie, but not your pilot?

FYI I would imagine in many cases, a pilot is paid less than the cabbie...

Thoughts?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Rule books are paper - they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
— Ernest K. Gann, 'Fate is the Hunter.
Commonwealth
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:26 pm

Re: Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by Commonwealth »

In my experience taxi drivers are some of the most entitled people when it comes to tips. If you give anything less than 10% almost all of them will cry the blues. Taxi drivers have an easier job than restaurant servers yet expect a tip regardless of the service they provide. I say bring on Uber in every jurisdiction and we can be rid of them all together.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2467
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Commonwealth wrote:In my experience taxi drivers are some of the most entitled people when it comes to tips. If you give anything less than 10% almost all of them will cry the blues. Taxi drivers have an easier job than restaurant servers yet expect a tip regardless of the service they provide. I say bring on Uber in every jurisdiction and we can be rid of them all together.
Some pilots are the most entitled people that I know! Servers work harder than many pilots! Should we "bring on" Uber of the skies? You know, an unlicensed charter or "air taxi"?? Careful what you wish for.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Ricktye
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:23 am

Re: Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by Ricktye »

Point to ponder..... We tip the waitress in the restaurant that brings us our meal, and smile at her doing it. What do you tip the fuel man that puts the go juice in your aircraft at -40? Just wondering... Hmmm, thought so. Why are you being so inconsiderate to him/her?
---------- ADS -----------
 
AWOS
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:38 am

Re: Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by AWOS »

A cab driver told me that they pay their employer to "rent" the cab and for gas and then any profit in fares after that goes to them. I could sort of see why they'd expect to be tipped seeing as they're just trying to turn a profit. That being said, I don't really like the idea of tipping as a whole. Waiters are already getting paid minimum wage in Canada and then are expected to get paid 15% of each bill on top of that. I can put up with tipping for good service, but when I receive average or poor service, why should I still be expected to shell out an extra 15%?
Not only that, but now it seems like everyone is adopting the tipping system. Even my local beer store's debit machine prompts for tips and the workers there don't really do much besides stock the shelves.

Ricktye wrote:Point to ponder..... We tip the waitress in the restaurant that brings us our meal, and smile at her doing it. What do you tip the fuel man that puts the go juice in your aircraft at -40? Just wondering... Hmmm, thought so. Why are you being so inconsiderate to him/her?
Because I'm not personally paying for the fuel and I'm not going to tip out of my own pocket just so I can work - plus, in some cases, the guy fueling up the plane is paid more than the guy driving it. However, back when I worked at an FBO, there were GA guys who would give us a few bucks when fueling them up.
---------- ADS -----------
 
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 848
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by av8ts »

The refueler in not providing me with a service he's providing it to the company
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2467
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by cdnpilot77 »

AWOS wrote:Waiters are already getting paid minimum wage in Canada
Unless something has changed in the very recent past, I'm pretty sure there is a lower wage set for servers as they generate "significant" income from tips. DanWEC, have a go at this one.

Having said that, shitty service gets a shitty tip. That doesn't mean if the food is slow, that means if they generally don't serve you well. I have never left a zero tip, but if I am really pissed off I will leave a penny or a nickel. Then they know it's not because I "stiffed" them.
---------- ADS -----------
 
tipsails
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:52 am
Location: Cowtown

Re: Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by tipsails »

Back in the 703 world I wish I got tipped. I know a few float guys who said they made off quite well in the busy months.
---------- ADS -----------
 
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7197
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by digits_ »

Ricktye wrote:Point to ponder..... We tip the waitress in the restaurant that brings us our meal, and smile at her doing it. What do you tip the fuel man that puts the go juice in your aircraft at -40? Just wondering... Hmmm, thought so. Why are you being so inconsiderate to him/her?
I have always found it weird that you have to tip the waiter. The only part of the whole dining experience I wouldn't mind doing myself: bringing my food to the table from the kitchen.

I'd much rather tip the cook if I really have to tip someone.
---------- ADS -----------
 
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
jspitfire
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:10 pm
Location: North of 60

Re: Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by jspitfire »

Strega wrote:
Why is it you're expected to tip a cabbie, but not your pilot?
Thoughts?
Most of mine come from scenic flights, but the odd charter and even sked passenger have tipped too.

Guess I'm just a better pilot! :wink:
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 864
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:26 pm

Re: Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by JasonE »

digits_ wrote:I have always found it weird that you have to tip the waiter. The only part of the whole dining experience I wouldn't mind doing myself: bringing my food to the table from the kitchen.

I'd much rather tip the cook if I really have to tip someone.
Some restaurants share tips with the kitchen. I have personally walked into a kitchen where I received crap service, but the food was excellent and gave the cooks a decent tip and left nothing for the wait staff...
---------- ADS -----------
 
"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7197
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by digits_ »

JasonE wrote:
digits_ wrote:I have always found it weird that you have to tip the waiter. The only part of the whole dining experience I wouldn't mind doing myself: bringing my food to the table from the kitchen.

I'd much rather tip the cook if I really have to tip someone.
Some restaurants share tips with the kitchen. I have personally walked into a kitchen where I received crap service, but the food was excellent and gave the cooks a decent tip and left nothing for the wait staff...

Yeah, 10 or 20 % of the tips for the kitchen is what I have heard. Should really be the other way around. Actually the whole tip system is messed up.

One of the very few downsides of Canada :D
---------- ADS -----------
 
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2562
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:32 am

Re: Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by fish4life »

Every province is different some allow a lower minimum wage when tips are expected to help out while others don't. As for the cooking staff they get tipped out from the servers, this comes from the servers totals SALES not tips so if you stiff a server and don't tip them at all you just made them pay to serve you because they still have to tip out the back end.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3265
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:10 am
Location: Back here

Re: Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by Panama Jack »

Pilots don't need to be tipped, because they love flying and they love what they do. Taxi drivers and waiters do what they do because it is the best paid job they were able to find with their level of education or according to the job market. Pilots are generally intelligent, well educated, and capable, yet consciously opt to pursue a field which offers lower wages and benefits because its a "labour of love", unlike driving taxis or waiting tables. So don't tip- getting up into the clear blue sky is already reward enough for them!

Yes, this is a tongue-in-cheek comment, however, there is a grain of truth in every joke. I am totally against the North American tipping culture, the way that it gets employers off the hook from paying realistic wages by placing the burden on the customer and the attitude of entitlement (at least 10-15% for mediocre, surly service) it creates. Call me cheap- I'm a pilot. But it is a messed up system.
---------- ADS -----------
 
“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
User avatar
Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:44 am
Location: NWO

Re: Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by Strega »

Pilots are generally intelligent, well educated, and capable, yet consciously opt to pursue a field which offers lower wages and benefits because its a "labour of love", unlike driving taxis or waiting tables.
Im not so sure I would agree with you... I would speculate most cab drivers (foreign) in Canada, are far more educated as a whole than pilots...



Anyway,, I think its absolute rubbish tipping people to do what is expected of them...
---------- ADS -----------
 
Rule books are paper - they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
— Ernest K. Gann, 'Fate is the Hunter.
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1519
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:44 am

Re: Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by Eric Janson »

Every Airline I've worked for had a policy that prohibited staff from accepting tips of any kind.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
User avatar
Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:27 am

Re: Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by Mr. North »

I tip in general, and for truly exceptional service I tip big. But lately tipping has gotten out of hand. For decades it was a standard 10%. Now in the last few years I'm being prompted for 15 or 20%? Why? Has the standard of service suddenly improved by that much? Can we expect 30% by 2020? I'm actually offended when the tip rate on the debit machine is defaulted at 20%. So I either pay less and feel like a cheapskate or give in and get fleeced for every cent. I refuse to play by this mild form of extortion. I don't care if servers or taxi drivers make the bulk of their money through tips, if at the end of the day it isn't enough, find something else!

Dudes slinging beer at the vendor looking for tips. Tip jars popping up at more and more fast food restaurants, and now retail stores..? an ever increasing sense of entitlement! Wouldn't be surprised if in a few years pilots had their hat in hand while people filed by on arrival. And why stop there? Like someone said, that fueller is due for his share too! And ATC, surely they must get tipped for slipping you into that stacked pattern! Tips for everyone!!!
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2467
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Image
---------- ADS -----------
 
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2562
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:32 am

Re: Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by fish4life »

Actually a 1-10 scale you could send via EFB to nav Canada on how your ATC service was when you land would be neat.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:17 pm
Location: The Okanagan

Re: Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by Schooner69A »

I'm with Mr North: for decades, the standard had been around ten percent so that the "tip" kept pace with the cost of the food. Now, fifteen to twenty percent is being "suggested". Suggested by whom, you might ask? Well, I just spent 10 - 15 minutes with my buddy "google" and I couldn't find a definitive answer. However, I did find out that a 'suggested' tip rate at a high end restaurant approaches thirty percent. Meadow Muffins! Horse Puckey! This olde pharte continues to calculate ten percent on the before tax computation. I don't give a rat's rear if the tip has to be shared with the back room staff! Suddenly, I have to ensure the cook is making a living wage? Let's put that onus on the backs of the facility owners and not burden the customer with the well-being of their staffs. FWIW, there are reports of restaurants that have mandated "NO TIPPING".

Now, as to tipping pilots: great idea! However, where would you place the cut-off? I mean, it would be a little disconcerting if I saw my WestJet pilot son standing at the exit door of his Boeing with his cap and an attached note that read "Recommend 30 % as tips have to be shared with cabin staff".
---------- ADS -----------
 
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2581
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:07 pm
Location: Negative sequencial vortex

Re: Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by Meatservo »

In Europe, tipping is less common. In some countries, they look at you funny when you try to tip them. It's almost as if they are insulted. Frankly, way back when I flew for tourist operations, I always felt awkward being presented with tips. I would try to politely deflect the offer, and if the passenger insisted to the point where it felt rude not to accept the tip, I would say thank-you and then use it to buy beer for the apprentices and rampies. I've always felt funny about being offered a tip. I hope it's something other than "ego" talking but I've always felt that I am a professional worker, and that tips are meant to be well-meaning condescensions towards those in a less fortunate position. I feel like a dick saying that, but there you go: that's how I think of it.
---------- ADS -----------
 
If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2972
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:17 pm
Location: west to east and west again

Re: Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by rigpiggy »

Ricktye wrote:Point to ponder..... We tip the waitress in the restaurant that brings us our meal, and smile at her doing it. What do you tip the fuel man that puts the go juice in your aircraft at -40? Just wondering... Hmmm, thought so. Why are you being so inconsiderate to him/her?
When weather was carp, I'd as a matter of rout bring 5 timmys down for Groundcrew, fueller and at times the deice crews
---------- ADS -----------
 
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:05 pm
Location: 404

Re: Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by DanWEC »

I have held almost every position in the restaurant and bar industry for the last 20 years. (Wowza). In Toronto, there is a good chance you could have been a guest at a place I was working at or running in the last decade. Now, I'm dabbling in brewing on my off rotations.

For servers and bartenders who's primary income is tips the legal minimum server wage in Canada is about a $1-1.50 lower that actual minimum wage. In the States you can find server wages to be in the $2-$5 per hour TOTAL! Add that to the fact that most work days are usually only for a few hours, a server's payqcheque will barely amount to much at all.

For those who think it's simple work- it's far from it. It's a skilled job, much more so than assembly line or or roofing. There are also a multitude of skill and stress levels. If you can't handle 20, 30 or a hundred people at once all needing flawless service simultaneously, you can make a comfortable amount at a Denny's or something, and it's fairly easy. If you are an excellent multitasker, can think 30 minutes and a hundred orders ahead, and don't mind constant abuse, you can make excellent money at a high end establishment or club- mind you the constant of bombardment actually manifests itself into some serious health issues- lack of sleep, heart problems, etc. Very stressful. You can make a good 6 figures, really, but it wears you out immensely. My last job before I moved into flying full time provided an income that I won't see for probably 10 more years in aviation. Had a big brand new 2 bed condo on the waterfront, 2 cars, an aviation habit to pay for and was still very comfortable. An increasing amount of people are deciding to make lifelong careers out of it.

About the tipping scenarios. I do think it's odd who you tip and who you don't. You tip a cabbie. Baggage handlers and porters when you're on vacation. Starbucks but not so much at Tims. Weird.
That being said, as far as bars and restaurants go, it's part of the economic structure, and you are NOT allowed to simply opt out of it. (Remember, they make less than minimum wage) Doing so is exactly the same is the same as arbitrarily refusing to pay your mechanic in full for doing work- just because. You are taking advantage of a cost structure that allows you to get a nice meal and then ripping them off for the remaining 20%.
Eg: With tipping, a meal for two, with a typical labour percentage of around 30%, the guest's bill might come in around $100.00. They tip $20 and the final total is $120. Everyone's happy.
In Europe they don't tip, but servers make a much higher wage ($20-$30 per hour or more) because it's a skilled position. You can get degrees in service as well.
In this structure, that meal for two will have to include a labour percentage of around 60% or more. The guest's bill will have to be around $140 to cover the operating expenses. No tip required. Everyone's still happy and making money, but remember you just paid slightly more for that meal overall.

On a side note, usually a net total of about 30% of a server or bartender's tips get taken and distributed to the cooks and other support staff. A bit even goes to the house sometimes, which is supposed to be illegal, but still happens.

A note about the increasing tip percentage over the years- In Canada, operating costs have become astronomical. It literally costs double to run a store from what it was 15 years ago. Mostly due to food costs. Yet, the guest checks haven't doubled. Up, yes, but not by 100%. Margins have just decreased substantially (Some successful chains are in the low single digit percents). You've likely noticed US chains will barely touch us anymore, and are the first to pull out when things take a downturnturn (Think Olive Garden, etc, they just can't make money here.) As a result we have to find every way we can to stretch the dwindling profits. Increasing the suggested tip percentage allows a bit more money to be distributed to all the staff without the operator going broke trying to cover expenses OR jacking up the prices to what would be seen as an unreasonable amount. It's really a benefit to the consumer!
---------- ADS -----------
 
Last edited by DanWEC on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 281
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:14 pm

Re: Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by Roar »

DanWEC wrote: it's part of the economic structure, and you are NOT allowed to simply opt out of it.
Please provide legal reference, either Federal or Provincial that requires a person to pay a 20% tip, or any tip for that matter.
---------- ADS -----------
 
"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:05 pm
Location: 404

Re: Taxis, pilots, and tipping

Post by DanWEC »

Roar wrote:
DanWEC wrote: it's part of the economic structure, and you are NOT allowed to simply opt out of it.
Please provide legal reference, either Federal or Provincial that requires a person to pay a 20% tip, or any tip for that matter.

I hope you're asking simply as a curiosity.... and will keep my opinions to myself, but you sound like you want something for free. Did you read the simple example I wrote about the labour structure?

It could be interpreted that since lower server wage is allowed by law when a "Substantive portion of the income is based on tips", a lawyer who is good with contract law could argue that it's then required to tip in order to justify it. But I'm certainly not a lawyer.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Last edited by DanWEC on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”