The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
17%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 969

tata324
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by tata324 »

Does anyone know if calls are going out for march already ?
---------- ADS -----------

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I got a PFO along the lines of never re-apply again and then they called me a year later for another interview. Strange hiring practices there. I respectfully declined the interview but I would say keep trying. I know a guy who got turned down 3x and then he got hired. :shock:

Let’s Go Brandon
northtosouth
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by northtosouth »

Still nothing yet for March I'm guessing........

tata324
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tata324 »

northtosouth wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:57 pm Still nothing yet for March I'm guessing........
I am also on the lookout. Heard from a friend that calls are heading out for March 22 already but he said t was a Jazz person. spoke to another OTS waiting for a response and he also hasn't heard back yet. Both of us have gotten background check requests, I interviewed in late November he did in December. We are both hoping it is the same no news is good news.

JeppsOnFire
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JeppsOnFire »

Not to poop the party or anything but this pilot hiring is a little too frothy and it makes my spidey sense tingle.
Entirely anecdotal, of course, but I know more than a few solidly middle class families that have become fairly recently either barely solvent or living on credit. If this is widespread (maybe I just hang out with broke people), that will certainly be felt in our industry.

When everyone is scared, it's time to be greedy. When everyone is greedy, it's time to be scared. Or something like that.

Last edited by JeppsOnFire on Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

JeppsOnFire wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:40 pm Not to poop the party or anything but this pilot hiring is a little too frothy and it makes my spidey sense tingle.
Entirely anecdotal, of course, but I know more than a few solidly middle class families that are either barely solvent or living on credit. If this is widespread (maybe I just hang out with broke people), that will certainly be felt in our industry.

When everyone is scared, it's time to be greedy. When everyone is greedy, it's time to be scared. Or something like that.
?

I'm not entirely sure what you're implying here. Most of the hiring is because of the new duty rules. The rest is either retirements or projected growth. Literally every airline in Canada is hiring and short right now.

JeppsOnFire
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JeppsOnFire »

flying4dollars wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:43 pm
JeppsOnFire wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:40 pm Not to poop the party or anything but this pilot hiring is a little too frothy and it makes my spidey sense tingle.
Entirely anecdotal, of course, but I know more than a few solidly middle class families that are either barely solvent or living on credit. If this is widespread (maybe I just hang out with broke people), that will certainly be felt in our industry.

?

I'm not entirely sure what you're implying here. Most of the hiring is because of the new duty rules. The rest is either retirements or projected growth. Literally every airline in Canada is hiring and short right now.
What I'm saying is the times don't get better than this.

People are good at projecting a current situation indefinitely into the future. When times are bad, they think times will be bad forever. When times are good, they think times will be good forever.

Anyways, hopefully it lasts.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

JeppsOnFire wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:18 pm
What I'm saying is the times don't get better than this.

People are good at projecting a current situation indefinitely into the future. When times are bad, they think times will be bad forever. When times are good, they think times will be good forever.

If you have 1000 behind you then you are (usually) golden. In a downturn you will still have a job.

If you have just 100 behind you - then that is a different story.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

JeppsOnFire wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:18 pm What I'm saying is the times don't get better than this.

I don't know what you're smoking... times are not good. We are barely back to where we were pre-pandemic and we are getting screwed left, right, and center.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

People said the same thing 3 years ago, then suddenly they were the worst they ever were.

The good times won't last, but neither will the bad. 2 years from now we might be in WW3, or we might not.

20 years ago Air Canada was bankrupt.

Make sense? ;)

Newbieyyz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Newbieyyz »

olivierw wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:17 am Background check roughly 10 business days after interview/medical.

Call back 2 months after the interview.

Does anyone know if you dont get a background check in 3 weeks is a bad thing?

a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by a2btrail »

cdnavater wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:52 pm
a2btrail wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:32 pm
bobcatdriver wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:24 pm

All hiring finished by June 2023?
Hiring will carry on throughout the summer. Potentially a slight tapper in numbers but from what I've been made aware of hiring will continue through summer 2023.
verb: taper
diminish or reduce in thickness toward one end
tapper
one who taps something or produces a tapping sound
Just saying;)
LOL oops my bad!

somealbertan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by somealbertan »

Have any GS calls been made recently? Any idea what class they’ll be hiring for?

UndisputedTruth
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by UndisputedTruth »

So after doing an interview a not too short time ago just received a response regarding the psychological assessment. Request do a follow with their Dr. Please tell me someone else has gotten this somewhere out there? What’s the deal with this interview? Didn’t think I was :rolleyes: but now I’m not so sure!
:lol:

Bugsie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bugsie »

When did you interview?

Freshredmeat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Freshredmeat »

UndisputedTruth wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:15 pm So after doing an interview a not too short time ago just received a response regarding the psychological assessment. Request do a follow with their Dr. Please tell me someone else has gotten this somewhere out there? What’s the deal with this interview? Didn’t think I was :rolleyes: but now I’m not so sure!
They probably can't believe pilots would work for so little and want to make you're sane.

It's a valid point

newcomer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by newcomer »

Freshredmeat wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:58 pm
UndisputedTruth wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:15 pm So after doing an interview a not too short time ago just received a response regarding the psychological assessment. Request do a follow with their Dr. Please tell me someone else has gotten this somewhere out there? What’s the deal with this interview? Didn’t think I was :rolleyes: but now I’m not so sure!
They probably can't believe pilots would work for so little and want to make you're sane.

It's a valid point
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

newcomer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by newcomer »

Don't worry. I had it too a few months ago. They thought I lied during the test. The Dr realized I was a good guy and I passed. But in the end I declined their offer as I found a much better job.

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

Freshredmeat wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:58 pm

It's a valid point
Definitely a Catch 22 :lol:

I answered that I didn't love my mother and wondered if it would be disqualifying. It sounds like honesty is the best policy though.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Did they ask you about the widebody starting pay? :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “Air Canada”