The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 972

Captain101
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by Captain101 »

Would it make sense for a Porter E2 captain to leave for AC now considering the new E2 captain pay scales at Porter? It would be almost a $100k pay cut the first year but is it true that the upgrade times on the narrow body at AC are now roughly 2 years? Also looking at the long term benefits since AC has a pension does anyone know how the pension at AC actually works? Also trying to consider the life time earnings since I have 30 years till I hit 65. My estimate is that life time earnings will be more at AC since there is an opportunity to move to the widebody.
---------- ADS -----------

lee123
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lee123 »

Captain101 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:27 pm Would it make sense for a Porter E2 captain to leave for AC now considering the new E2 captain pay scales at Porter? It would be almost a $100k pay cut the first year but is it true that the upgrade times on the narrow body at AC are now roughly 2 years? Also looking at the long term benefits since AC has a pension does anyone know how the pension at AC actually works? Also trying to consider the life time earnings since I have 30 years till I hit 65. My estimate is that life time earnings will be more at AC since there is an opportunity to move to the widebody.
Yes, go.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Captain101 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:27 pm Would it make sense for a Porter E2 captain to leave for AC now considering the new E2 captain pay scales at Porter? It would be almost a $100k pay cut the first year but is it true that the upgrade times on the narrow body at AC are now roughly 2 years? Also looking at the long term benefits since AC has a pension does anyone know how the pension at AC actually works? Also trying to consider the life time earnings since I have 30 years till I hit 65. My estimate is that life time earnings will be more at AC since there is an opportunity to move to the widebody.
Want to trade? I was thinking of making the move to Porter with the new pay scales posted. AC is good in the long term but it depends on your situation in the short term and if your family and dependants can survive the massive pay cut until the upgrade comes.

Captain101
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Captain101 »

As for pension I was reading in the CBA that for example if one is to retire in 2024 the MPU is $4996. If one did 30 years of service would their annual pension be $4996 x 30 = $149,880. Not sure if my understanding of it is correct but just trying to come up to a ball park figure of what my pension could be if I retire after 30 years at AC.

Thanks for any info.

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

Captain101 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:57 pm As for pension I was reading in the CBA that for example if one is to retire in 2024 the MPU is $4996. If one did 30 years of service would their annual pension be $4996 x 30 = $149,880. Not sure if my understanding of it is correct but just trying to come up to a ball park figure of what my pension could be if I retire after 30 years at AC.
There is an additional restriction …

It’s the MPU x number of years of service OR 2% x number of years x your best five years. Whichever is lower.

For example, with 30 years in, if your average yearly salary during your best five years was $200,000, then your pension would be $120,000. If it was $300,000, then your pension would be $149,880, capped by the MPUs.

Dash.Trash
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dash.Trash »

Crewbunk wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:02 pm
Captain101 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:57 pm As for pension I was reading in the CBA that for example if one is to retire in 2024 the MPU is $4996. If one did 30 years of service would their annual pension be $4996 x 30 = $149,880. Not sure if my understanding of it is correct but just trying to come up to a ball park figure of what my pension could be if I retire after 30 years at AC.

It’s the MPU x number of years of service OR 2% x number of years x your best five years. Whichever is lower.

For example, with 30 years in, if your average yearly salary during your best five years was $200,000, then your pension would be $120,000. If it was $300,000, then your pension would be $149,880, capped by the MPUs.
Assuming the question is from someone considering employment at AC and not someone currently on the DB plan, the whole MPU point is irrelevant. They would be on the CWIPP (MEPP) plan which functions completely differently.

Captain101
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Captain101 »

Dash.Trash wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:15 pm

Assuming the question is from someone considering employment at AC and not someone currently on the DB plan, the whole MPU point is irrelevant. They would be on the CWIPP (MEPP) plan which functions completely differently.
Thanks for the clarification Crewbunk.

Yes, I am considering future employment at AC and not currently there. Would you or someone be able to help explain how the CWIPP plan will work for someone who will retire in 30 years if they start at AC today. Or is there any reading material around on it. Haven't been able to find anything of value on it.

Thanks in advance.

LittleNelly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LittleNelly »

Captain101 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:29 pm

Yes, I am considering future employment at AC and not currently there. Would you or someone be able to help explain how the CWIPP plan will work for someone who will retire in 30 years if they start at AC today. Or is there any reading material around on it. Haven't been able to find anything of value on it.

Thanks in advance.
CWIPP is a target benefit plan, basically works the same way as a DB as you get a payment for life but not 'guaranteed' to not be reduced in the future if the pension plan falls into trouble. This is not an issue though as unlike DB plans companies arnt allowed to take funding holidays(not paying into a plan if there is a surplus). In the CWIPP that surplus results in increased benefits to the member, not reduced company contributions. It is a much more sustainable system and results in increased benefits(acts kind of like indexation which the DB plan lacks). I believe the increase was 6.3% on Dec31 2022. This applies to all earned pension credit for current members or an increase to your monthly payment for those in retirement.

Air Canada Service Member Contribution Employer Contribution
Less than 2 years 6.00% of pensionable earnings 6.00% of pensionable earnings
Between 2 and 5 years 7.50% of pensionable earnings 8.25% of pensionable earnings
More than 5 years 7.50% of pensionable earnings 10.50% of pensionable earnings

Takes a bit of math to calculate but you can throw some estimate numbers in the formula. It will vary widely on your career path. ie fast upgrade, WB FO, stay NB longer, etc..

Monthly pension benefit is based on a pre-set formula. Here’s how the formula works:
Your total pensionable earnings x The benefit factor for your group = Yearly pension
Do that for each of the 3 benefit factor levels below and add them together.

Air Canada Service Benefit Factor
Less than 2 years 1.40% of pensionable
Between 2 and 5 years 1.75% of pensionable
More than 5 years 1.90% of pensionable earnings

Captain101
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Captain101 »

LittleNelly wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:49 pm
Captain101 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:29 pm

Thanks in advance.
CWIPP is a target benefit plan, basically works the same way as a DB as you get a payment for life but not 'guaranteed' to not be reduced in the future if the pension plan falls into trouble. This is not an issue though as unlike DB plans companies arnt allowed to take funding holidays(not paying into a plan if there is a surplus). In the CWIPP that surplus results in increased benefits to the member, not reduced company contributions. It is a much more sustainable system and results in increased benefits(acts kind of like indexation which the DB plan lacks). I believe the increase was 6.3% on Dec31 2022. This applies to all earned pension credit for current members or an increase to your monthly payment for those in retirement.

Air Canada Service Member Contribution Employer Contribution
Less than 2 years 6.00% of pensionable earnings 6.00% of pensionable earnings
Between 2 and 5 years 7.50% of pensionable earnings 8.25% of pensionable earnings
More than 5 years 7.50% of pensionable earnings 10.50% of pensionable earnings

Takes a bit of math to calculate but you can throw some estimate numbers in the formula. It will vary widely on your career path. ie fast upgrade, WB FO, stay NB longer, etc..

Monthly pension benefit is based on a pre-set formula. Here’s how the formula works:
Your total pensionable earnings x The benefit factor for your group = Yearly pension
Do that for each of the 3 benefit factor levels below and add them together.

Air Canada Service Benefit Factor
Less than 2 years 1.40% of pensionable
Between 2 and 5 years 1.75% of pensionable
More than 5 years 1.90% of pensionable earnings
Thanks for the clarification LittleNelly. Appreciate it.

Captain101
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Captain101 »

If you are a year 3 FO at AC and you upgrade, do you slot into year 3 CA pay or does your pay start at year 1 CA?

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Captain101 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:39 pm If you are a year 3 FO at AC and you upgrade, do you slot into year 3 CA pay or does your pay start at year 1 CA?
Years of service remain. You upgrade after three years you slot into year 3 captain pay.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
Captain101
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Captain101 »

jpilot77 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:43 pm
Captain101 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:39 pm If you are a year 3 FO at AC and you upgrade, do you slot into year 3 CA pay or does your pay start at year 1 CA?
Years of service remain. You upgrade after three years you slot into year 3 captain pay.
Thank you!

tsukubacpe
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tsukubacpe »

For those that have recently applied, did you receive a confirmation email after submitting the application? Asking because right after I submitted mine there was a message saying that but I never received a confirmation email.

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

tsukubacpe wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:54 am For those that have recently applied, did you receive a confirmation email after submitting the application? Asking because right after I submitted mine there was a message saying that but I never received a confirmation email.
You need to receive the confirmation email. If you don't, your application is not active in the system. For some reason, the online application portal is very finicky when it comes to web browsers - try another browser and see if you get the confirmation email. It should come in within a minute or two of the application being submitted.

tsukubacpe
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tsukubacpe »

Cavalier44 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:27 am
tsukubacpe wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:54 am For those that have recently applied, did you receive a confirmation email after submitting the application? Asking because right after I submitted mine there was a message saying that but I never received a confirmation email.
You need to receive the confirmation email. If you don't, your application is not active in the system. For some reason, the online application portal is very finicky when it comes to web browsers - try another browser and see if you get the confirmation email. It should come in within a minute or two of the application being submitted.
Okay thanks! I was using google chrome so I’ll try a different web browser

Captain101
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Captain101 »

Had the interview about a month ago but just got an email a couple of days ago saying to come in for a secondary assessment because the results of the first MMPI assessment were inconclusive. Anyone experience this before? Does it mean I could still potentially be in consideration?

Admiral Benson
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Admiral Benson »

Absolutely no issue other than the minor delay you will take completing the process. Lots of people have to take the assessment multiple times.

There are no wrong answers but the test asks the same questions in a whole bunch of different ways. If your answers are "inconsistent" the system will flag you.

kilocharliemike
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kilocharliemike »

This thread has been quiet...What the latest from those that know? April classes filled? 30% raises United style ? bye bye flat pay....?

KCM

Captain101
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Captain101 »

After getting the request for a background check, how many days or weeks has it been generally taking before getting an offer?

skystudent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skystudent »

Captain101 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:00 pm After getting the request for a background check, how many days or weeks has it been generally taking before getting an offer?
Approximately 2 weeks.

Return to “Air Canada”