New rfp for all alberta medevac

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

AlbertaPilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#76 Post by AlbertaPilot » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:18 pm

Easy there Jimbob200, who are you trying to convince, us or yourself? I am sure Canwest will offer you the same crappy deal as everyone else..

Fits in line with One provider for the whole province concept that some AHS execs seemed to be asking for. Even though its a stupid idea.. One would think they would have learned what happens when you put all your eggs in one basket. Ontario and BC learned the hard way... why should Alberta be any different.
---------- ADS -----------

JimBob200
Rank 0
Rank 0

#77 Post by JimBob200 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:43 pm

AlbertaPilot wrote:Easy there Jimbob200, who are you trying to convince, us or yourself? I am sure Canwest will offer you the same crappy deal as everyone else..

Fits in line with One provider for the whole province concept that some AHS execs seemed to be asking for. Even though its a stupid idea.. One would think they would have learned what happens when you put all your eggs in one basket. Ontario and BC learned the hard way... why should Alberta be any different.

I don't need to convince anyone.

I know first hand ACA is NOT selling to CW, I'm simply trying to stop the false rumors being spit out.

Captain X
Rank 6
Rank 6

#78 Post by Captain X » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:38 pm

Congratulations to the guys at ACA. I'm happy they can continue providing Alberta the best in fixed wing medevac for the next 10 years.

Pt6-42
Rank 2
Rank 2

#79 Post by Pt6-42 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:15 pm

Congrats to aca and canwest. To bad about some of the back alley shady deals a curtain owner did. But such is business...

7dirty7
Rank 1
Rank 1

#80 Post by 7dirty7 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:40 pm

Pt6-42 wrote:Congrats to aca and canwest. To bad about some of the back alley shady deals a curtain owner did. But such is business...
Care to share the details of the shady deal? Pm me

Rotorwash
Rank 0
Rank 0

#81 Post by Rotorwash » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:52 pm

How exactly do you win 4 bases with no infrastructure at all? I don't think this is over yet boys and girls...something just not quite right!!

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

#82 Post by co-joe » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:17 pm

Captain X wrote:Congratulations to the guys at ACA. I'm happy they can continue providing Alberta the best in fixed wing medevac for the next 10 years.
Agreed, although its doubtful any of their long time GP guys will move to Ft Mac. Congrats to Canwest on becoming the largest fixed wing aeromedical operator in Canada overnight. That must have been some bid. As much as60 million dollars in new metal, half a million dollars in initial PPC's alone....and potentially very sad times for the 2 companies who've been in this game for up to 35 years. A great many wonderful people's jobs will undoubtedly evaporate never to return, and literally AB health is putting all our eggs in basically one basket.

Edited cause I'm no math wizard.
Last edited by co-joe on Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

ditar
Rank 5
Rank 5

#83 Post by ditar » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:12 pm

co-joe wrote: Agreed, although its doubtful any of their long time GP guys will move to Ft Mac. Congrats to Canwest on becoming the largest fixed wing aeromedical operator in Canada overnight. That must have been some bid. As much as half a Billion dollars in new metal, half a million dollars in initial PPC's alone....and potentially very sad times for the 2 companies who've been in this game for up to 35 years. A great many wonderful people's jobs will undoubtedly evaporate never to return, and literally AB health is putting all our eggs in basically one basket.
Ten King Airs cost half a billion dollars?

It stands to reason that those who are displaced from one operator will likely be offered positions at the other. I doubt CanWest has 25 or 30 extra medevac pilots, engineers, etc just kicking around who are willing to move to the communities in question.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

#84 Post by co-joe » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:59 pm

ditar wrote:
co-joe wrote: Agreed, although its doubtful any of their long time GP guys will move to Ft Mac. Congrats to Canwest on becoming the largest fixed wing aeromedical operator in Canada overnight. That must have been some bid. As much as half a Billion dollars in new metal, half a million dollars in initial PPC's alone....and potentially very sad times for the 2 companies who've been in this game for up to 35 years. A great many wonderful people's jobs will undoubtedly evaporate never to return, and literally AB health is putting all our eggs in basically one basket.
Ten King Airs cost? ...

5.8 million US each x 9 machines, if they indeed buy the 250's brand new like the story is. Plus medevac interior. sorry I'm totally out by one decimal on the math. Feel dumb. Long early day. :(
Last edited by co-joe on Sat May 13, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WASIE
Rank 1
Rank 1

#85 Post by WASIE » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:13 am

Pt6-42 wrote:Congrats to aca and canwest. To bad about some of the back alley shady deals a curtain owner did. But such is business...
Correction a few "shady companies" did not get the contract..... :goodman:

Mr.t
Rank 0
Rank 0

#86 Post by Mr.t » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:25 pm

All pilots at canwest and Aca will be sized for helmets just like stars pilots. New Abh standard.

Stoptheworld
Rank 3
Rank 3

#87 Post by Stoptheworld » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:32 am

Rather than reading through all the posts and actually determining it for myself; does this mean that BarXH/Integra is now out of the medevac business?
Stop the World - I Wanna Get Off

ditar
Rank 5
Rank 5

#88 Post by ditar » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:23 am

Stoptheworld wrote:Rather than reading through all the posts and actually determining it for myself; does this mean that BarXH/Integra is now out of the medevac business?
The results of the RFP state that Integra was not chosen as a provider.

5400AirportRdSouth
Rank 5
Rank 5

#89 Post by 5400AirportRdSouth » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:50 pm

WASIE wrote:
Correction a few "shady companies" did not get the contract..... :goodman:

There's probably upwards of 100 people, in all roles at the two companies not selected whose jobs are/were directly tied to this contract. The pilots probably have it the easiest, in this market and considering the incoming provider would most likely be happy to scoop them up. For those in the office, out on the ramp and possibly even in the maintenance kennels ( pens? ), the future may not look very good at all right now. In this economy, in rural Alberta.

You might have your reasons to call them " shady ", but my suspicion is its internet trolling at best. Transport doesn't feel they are " shady ", those that work there don't feel they're " shady ". I hardly think they lost points in the bid due to "Overall Shadiness".
Remember, only YOU can stop Narcissism

Cobra64
Rank 3
Rank 3

#90 Post by Cobra64 » Sat May 13, 2017 4:10 pm

Whats the latest on this contract? Is the NorAlta/Canwest company signed and confirmed as the new provider for almost the entire province? How has the fallout been at some of the other companies like ACA and Northern Air?

Rightseatdriver
Rank 1
Rank 1

#91 Post by Rightseatdriver » Sat May 13, 2017 11:16 pm

Cobra64 wrote:Whats the latest on this contract? Is the NorAlta/Canwest company signed and confirmed as the new provider for almost the entire province? How has the fallout been at some of the other companies like ACA and Northern Air?
Well for starters it has had no real effect on ACA other than the fact that they have been rewarded Ymm and Ylb.

JimBob200
Rank 0
Rank 0

#92 Post by JimBob200 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:14 am

Obviously its good news for CW, pretty much status quo for ACA, lost a based but gained a base, Northern Air will likely be suffering as the other flights are scheds and somedays never full, Integra atleast has numerous scheds

whitney.young88
Rank 0
Rank 0

#93 Post by whitney.young88 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:14 pm

Doesn't this somewhat, or shall I say entirely go against the ball gag that is the RFP?

Konrad
First off let me introduce myself, my name is Jake Fehr I managed the Cann was here Operations. My business partner Mr. Henry Hamm asked me to respond to your request in response to the peace river airport in the opera have RFP. Please find the attached document stating our side. Please contact me should you require any further discussions and you are welcome to post the article in your newspaper.

Best Regards:
Jake Fehr
General Manager
Cell 780-841-1508
jake@canwestair.com
www.noraltaaviation.com

Followed by....

Can West Air Company Press Release May 15, 2017

RE: Media Request: AHS RFP and Peace River Airport

Thank you for the media request for our company to provide a statement confirming our position on the AHS RFP and the future of the Peace River Airport. As a successful proponent, we are confident that we will provide AHS as well the Peace River Area residents, with effective and efficient services consistent with the objectives set out in the RFP. The RFP process was transparent and further clarified by an addendum stating the proponent needed to provide a plan for a facility if successful and did not need a facility at the time of the bid. Can West Air representative met with an airport official Aug 22, 2016, prior to the RFP submission. At that meeting Can West was told there was ‘not land available now, it was a very sensitive issue. The Town has 3 lots tied to the runway that are up for lease sometime near the end of September 2016. The conditions would then possibly be removed and the lots could be available for purchase.’ Can-West Air currently has a plan to erect a new hangar facility on the Peace River Airport once a land lease and building permit gains approval from local authorities. To that end, Can-West has been successful in securing hangar facilities in all Base Locations awarded with the exception of the Peace River Base Location. Many obstacles have been experienced from the Town of Peace River in obtaining vacant land lease, building permits or sub-leasing current/future structures. With the prompt co operation in terms of the town of Peace River allowing Can-West Air to secure one of the many vacant lots at the airport, we would anticipate no delays in patent care with-in the current implementation plan presented to AHS.
The primary focus of Can-West Air will be to implement the air ambulance operation in Peace River. Our primary concern has been the people of Peace River Area coming up with solutions for the transition of the air ambulance providers. Although we have not seen an official statement from Northern Air Charter stating they will stop offering regular schedule service in or out of the Peace River Airport, it has been our understanding that the scheduled air service that is provided is profitable and self sustaining. That being said, Can-West Air would be excited about the future possibility in either providing a scheduled air service in and out of the Peace River Airport or partnering with industry leading companies specialized in scheduled commercial flight to provide the service on behalf of Can-West Air. The benefit of this option could be increased routes subsequently increasing passenger volume far exceeding the current values reported. It is our understanding this solution would not change the current ACAP federal funding for the Peace River Airport.

It is the full intent of Can-West Air as being the successful proponent to supply aviation services for the AHS air ambulance program in Alberta for 4 of the 5 groupings (9 of 11 aircraft) offered in the RFP. The breakdown for this will be as follows:
1. One New 2017 King Air 350C in Edmonton, Special Mission Medevac Configuration
2. One New 2017 King Air 250C in Grand Prairie, Wide Door Medevac Configuration.
3. Seven New Standard King Air 250 in Medivac configuration – 2 in Peace River, 1 in High Level, Fort Vermilion, Slave Lake, Calgary, and Medicine Hat

Can-West Air will be bonded to these aircraft and base locations as described in the RFP. Focus with in our organization is on implementing this plan as described, not altering it.
Can-West participated in a meeting with town officials May 1, 2017. At that meeting we gathered the primary concern was the future of the airport and scheduled passenger service. Our focus has been medevac services and we have excelled at that. Our intentions never were to interfere in scheduled services provided by other carriers. At the above meeting, the question was asked if other options had been pursued and the reply was they had not. Should other options be explored and fail, Can West would take a serious look into this.
In closing, we hope to have answered the primary concerns with regards to the upcoming changes in terns of the air ambulance provider, scheduled air service in and out of Peace River Airport and the future of the Peace River Airport itself. We look forward to becoming a pillar iu your community and surrounding area providing advanced best practice service in any capacity required to the people in the Peace River area.

Hmm.... guess that cat is out of the bag? I thought no media was supposed to be involved.... *slow clap*

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

#94 Post by co-joe » Wed May 17, 2017 4:35 pm

Goodness that was poorly written.

So he says he never had a hangar in Peace River and just started looking for one but the town said no but he hopes they change their mind.

Then he said he might run a sched but then again he might not.

lol OK

Cobra64
Rank 3
Rank 3

#95 Post by Cobra64 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:18 pm

co-joe wrote:Goodness that was poorly written.

So he says he never had a hangar in Peace River and just started looking for one but the town said no but he hopes they change their mind.

Then he said he might run a sched but then again he might not.

lol OK

Considering Northern Air owns basically all of the hangars on the field, I highly doubt they will sell him one! And it looks like NA is still hiring so why even talk about replacing their scheds.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 4
Rank 4

#96 Post by PostmasterGeneral » Thu May 18, 2017 6:55 am

Did they manage to secure a hangar in Medicine Hat? Can't see them buying the Integra facility as they also use it as an FBO.

BE20_FTW
Rank 0
Rank 0

#97 Post by BE20_FTW » Thu May 18, 2017 1:22 pm

The Mayors of Peace River and Medicine Hat are now weighing in with press releases and newspaper articles. I think the Can-Was-Here ship has hit the iceberg and is taking on water!

https://peaceriver.ca/air-ambulance-rfp/

https://peaceriver.ca/air-ambulance-cen ... re-access/

http://medicinehatnews.com/news/local-n ... n-the-air/

sfostersa
Rank 0
Rank 0

#98 Post by sfostersa » Fri May 19, 2017 9:44 am

So reading through the media coverage of this no where does it mention if Northern Air or Integra have a good track record in Aviation regarding safety, finacially etc.. The industry has their opinions on these operators and to be honest it isn't great. Ahs probably doesnt want to deal with them but cant come out and simply say it. That being said the operators cant expect to prevent this process from moving forward simply because they own the only property at an airport. If youve had aviation incidents in the past and possibly not be financially sound then you dont deserve to be a provider of such an important contract. Its as simple as that. Trying to back ahs into a corner and force them to issue you a contract based on the property you own is manipulative. Thats not how things work and further shows the tactics of at least Northern Air. Wouldnt it have been better to argue an awesome track record and company stability and be chosen on that merit than to force ahs to possibly renew a contract because of the property you own. The oil patch is going to be heating up again soon and you can rest assured there are too many oil and gas related projects in that area to permit the peace river airport to close. In our society today there seems to be too much sense of entitlement going around. Basically work hard, play by the rules and dont cut corners and good things will usually come. Forcing someones hand is not the way to go. Anyhow this is the food for thought that did not end up in the media.

Rotorwash
Rank 0
Rank 0

#99 Post by Rotorwash » Fri May 19, 2017 11:41 am

Your correct nowhere in this media post does it say or speak to the excellent track record of these 2 companies, NAC and Integra, also nowhere in this media post does it speak to Canwests recent crash of their citation jet.
Financial well both Integra and NAC i believe earn their money honestly they work for it its not donated by certain groups.
The Industry's view on these 2 companies is a very positive one ...keep in mind the background of Canwest...Slave air, Little red ..nor Alta......how many times have they changed to hide who they were? if you live in glass houses don't throw stones....
No one went on here and slagged Canwest you just decided to attack NAC and Integra because of the poor planning and horrible execution of Canwests RFP and the way they are now handling everything currently which is very poor.
If based on what your suggesting is they work hard plan well then Canwest is not the right choice, quite the opposite based on the news they put no effort into planning or investing in these communities simply felt they were entitled and everyone should simply cooperate.

not looking to troll here simply ensuring you have all the facts

http://medicinehatnews.com/news/local-n ... n-the-air/
https://peaceriver.ca/air-ambulance-cen ... re-access/
http://medicinehatnews.com/news/local-n ... -mla-says/
https://peaceriver.ca/air-ambulance-rfp/

Cobra64
Rank 3
Rank 3

#100 Post by Cobra64 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:32 pm

sfostersa wrote: If youve had aviation incidents in the past and possibly not be financially sound then you dont deserve to be a provider of such an important contract. Its as simple as that. Trying to back ahs into a corner and force them to issue you a contract based on the property you own is manipulative.

Where are you pulling this nonsense from?

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”