New hire bids

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: New hire bids

Post by kiaszceski »

You can give a call to HR, they are pretty open to discussing the future GSs.
---------- ADS -----------

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:18 pm
PIC26 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:01 pm Anyone have info on next GS’s? Was told new year they’d start a steady amount of classes, wondering if anyone has been contacted to start training
While you wait, apply to any other regional and go there if you get an offer. Not to beat a dead horse but jazz has the lowest regional pay, and is the slowest path to Air Canada. So no benefit working at jazz. However, to get 705 experience if no one else calls. I would definitely say it’s a good stepping stone.
....and sell all your stock options cause they tanked while you're at it....

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

Any news on the today's hiring bid?

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

3 YYC Q
5 YYZ Q
8 YYZ RJ
2 YYZ EMB
2 YUL EMB

ALL FO

Pcpilot12
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pcpilot12 »

Average TT and multi time of the class? ATPL none ATPL?

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

No CA spots in GS?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:22 pm No CA spots in GS?
Other than new-hires that are current as CA on the Q400 or CRJ, it is possible that the DEC initiative may be on hold. Reality is the language in the current CBA is not conducive to DEC hiring.

No idea if there is any dialogue ongoing between ALPA and the company. If there is, this would be on the list. If there are no ongoing discussions then perhaps the company is trying to figure out how to manage DEC hiring within current CBA. Having 1501 hour fresh ATPL (no 705 experience) new hires bidding for a CA training opportunity is far from ideal and in most cases will not result in a successful CA qualification. What is required is a matrix. Until one is agreed to and codified in the CBA, pilots with an ATPL and a seniority number can bid without restriction.

AC adjusted to lack of an ACPA agreement by adjusting 2023 staffing levels. It remains to be seen what the Jazz strategy will be absent an agreement with ALPA.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

rudder wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:41 am
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:22 pm No CA spots in GS?
Other than new-hires that are current as CA on the Q400 or CRJ, it is possible that the DEC initiative may be on hold. Reality is the language in the current CBA is not conducive to DEC hiring.

No idea if there is any dialogue ongoing between ALPA and the company. If there is, this would be on the list. If there are no ongoing discussions then perhaps the company is trying to figure out how to manage DEC hiring within current CBA. Having 1501 hour fresh ATPL (no 705 experience) new hires bidding for a CA training opportunity is far from ideal and in most cases will not result in a successful CA qualification. What is required is a matrix. Until one is agreed to and codified in the CBA, pilots with an ATPL and a seniority number can bid without restriction.

AC adjusted to lack of an ACPA agreement by adjusting 2023 staffing levels. It remains to be seen what the Jazz strategy will be absent an agreement with ALPA.
I don't know if this rumor is true, but I had heard the last few DECs, only 1 in a dozen are making through succesfully.

Could explain them refocusing their resources.

Turboprops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Turboprops »

The YYZ spots (8RJ & 5Q) were all CA/FO spots. No one took CA spots that’s all

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Turboprops wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:21 am The YYZ spots (8RJ & 5Q) were all CA/FO spots. No one took CA spots that’s all
And that is the other issue. Hire a pilot as DEC, but you cannot force them to bid a CA spot. Obvious concern is for job security if fail to qualify as CA.

Once again, the CBA does not contemplate DEC.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Lots of qualified F/Os at the company that don’t want to bid the left seat due to a rotten schedule as well….. Seniority is everything at Jazz. If you’re near the bottom you’ll work almost every weekend and holiday and/or be stuck with reserve or continuous duties aka stand ups. And they are horrible on your body and quality of life.

Let’s Go Brandon
daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Inverted2 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:56 pm Lots of qualified F/Os at the company that don’t want to bid the left seat due to a rotten schedule as well….. Seniority is everything at Jazz. If you’re near the bottom you’ll work almost every weekend and holiday and/or be stuck with reserve or continuous duties aka stand ups. And they are horrible on your body and quality of life.
It is. A lot of people don't know how bad it is.
It's either you starve on the right seat, or you have a disgusting horrible quality of life (especially commuting for BOTL reserve ... @#$! THAT!) and you can somewhat stay on top of your condo payments without having to work for skip the dishes on the side.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
loose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by loose »

daedalusx wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:07 pm
Inverted2 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:56 pm Lots of qualified F/Os at the company that don’t want to bid the left seat due to a rotten schedule as well….. Seniority is everything at Jazz. If you’re near the bottom you’ll work almost every weekend and holiday and/or be stuck with reserve or continuous duties aka stand ups. And they are horrible on your body and quality of life.
It's either you starve on the right seat, or you have a disgusting horrible quality of life (especially commuting for BOTL reserve ... @#$! THAT!) and you can somewhat stay on top of your condo payments without having to work for skip the dishes on the side.
If AC is your cup of coffee then stick around at Jazz. The Regional model is dead in the water and this Pilot well, Captain shortage is only going to get worse. You will get a seniority number at AC soon enough otherwise they may have to park some aircraft not far in the future. It’s already happening in US regionals and these guys are not scrapping the bottom of the barrel yet as we are in Trudeau land.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

loose wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:46 pm
daedalusx wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:07 pm
If AC is your cup of coffee then stick around at Jazz. The Regional model is dead in the water and this Pilot well, Captain shortage is only going to get worse. You will get a seniority number at AC soon enough otherwise they may have to park some aircraft not far in the future. It’s already happening in US regionals and these guys are not scrapping the bottom of the barrel yet as we are in Trudeau land.
Oh I put my money where my mouth is and I left Jazz in 2019 and it was the best decision I've done in my professional aviation life.
If you have an ATPL and some 703 PIC time, Jazz is the worst place you could possibly go in 2023.

Here is my price to go back to work the left seat at Jazz, and these are not even unreasonable compared to the American regional market.
140K a year
4 on/4 off schedule
Paid hotels if the pairing does not allow same day travel.
Paid POS space commute.
J class on all company deadheads.

BTW this is what a rotational king air capt would make up north. The fact that people hate themselves enough to be willing to be a 705 captain for 70K a year is utterly baffling to me, especially to be on reserve or on CDs.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

An honest question for the new hires. Why did you accept an offer at jazz? Thank you!

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

I think that statement is valid for any airline.

I never liked the schedule based on seniority system. All airlines in Canada should have a type of "social bidding" where everyone gets a crack at a decent schedule. You can guarantee 2 weekends off a month to everyone, so junior pilots can enjoy a work/lifestyle balance as well. Holidays should also be balanced out. If you get Christmas off, you have to work new year's etc. or you get the holidays off this year, but you have to work next year. Certain middle Eastern Airlines have a rotating social bidding system where you are at "the top" this month, and by the 3rd month you're at the bottom, and it keeps rotating every 90 days. (top/middle/bottom seniority). Again, this is the only for scheduling purposes. When it comes to pay, upgrades, layoffs, etc. it should be based on seniority.

If you live more than 1.5 hours away (driving) from your base or have to commute by air, you're not going to be able to make it work (reserve /junior schedule) without some sort of living arrangement near the airport. That means you have to get a hotel room, rent a room, a crash-pad or stay with friends or family members. In many instances, any money you'd make as a captain you'd have to spend that on living accommodation.

How much is it to rent a room in Toronto or Vancouver? I'd say at least $1000 a month for anything decent. Sleeping in the same room with 3 other people is not something I'd ever do. I rather quit flying that do that. So, many people are stuck in their place because upgrading is not worth the extra cost. In the end, any money you make (after our government takes a large percentage) is just not worth it.

I find it odd that if you're a business, you can expense a truck, house, etc. but if you're a commuting pilot or FA you cannot expense your "crash-pad"...

Many of us that chose to stay at Jazz for the long term (me included) do it because of the work / life balance and job security (and for me flight passes). There's no way I'd ever go to a company like Flair, Canada Jetlines or Lynx. Given Canadian aviation history, most LCCs don't really make it for too long.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:33 pm An honest question for the new hires. Why did you accept an offer at jazz? Thank you!
See my above post. It applies to many that see beyond the first "4 years".

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:11 am

I never liked the schedule based on seniority system. All airlines in Canada should have a type of "social bidding" where everyone gets a crack at a decent schedule. You can guarantee 2 weekends off a month to everyone, so junior pilots can enjoy a work/lifestyle balance as well. Holidays should also be balanced out. If you get Christmas off, you have to work new year's etc. or you get the holidays off this year, but you have to work next year. Certain middle Eastern Airlines have a rotating social bidding system where you are at "the top" this month, and by the 3rd month you're at the bottom, and it keeps rotating every 90 days. (top/middle/bottom seniority). Again, this is the only for scheduling purposes. When it comes to pay, upgrades, layoffs, etc. it should be based on seniority.

If you live more than 1.5 hours away (driving) from your base or have to commute by air, you're not going to be able to make it work (reserve /junior schedule) without some sort of living arrangement near the airport. That means you have to get a hotel room, rent a room, a crash-pad or stay with friends or family members. In many instances, any money you'd make as a captain you'd have to spend that on living accommodation.

How much is it to rent a room in Toronto or Vancouver? I'd say at least $1000 a month for anything decent. Sleeping in the same room with 3 other people is not something I'd ever do. I rather quit flying that do that. So, many people are stuck in their place because upgrading is not worth the extra cost. In the end, any money you make (after our government takes a large percentage) is just not worth it.

I find it odd that if you're a business, you can expense a truck, house, etc. but if you're a commuting pilot or FA you cannot expense your "crash-pad"...

Many of us that chose to stay at Jazz for the long term (me included) do it because of the work / life balance and job security (and for me flight passes). There's no way I'd ever go to a company like Flair, Canada Jetlines or Lynx. Given Canadian aviation history, most LCCs don't really make it for too long.
Rouge had this.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:22 am
RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:11 am

Rouge had this.
Sure, it sounds all warm and fuzzy but how do you get the ones who had to wait in line for their good schedule to now give it up for the I want it now group.
I would tell you foxtrot oscar!

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

cdnavater wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:17 am Sure, it sounds all warm and fuzzy but how do you get the ones who had to wait in line for their good schedule to now give it up for the I want it now group.
I would tell you foxtrot oscar!
I understand your point of view, but you're just one of 1500+ pilots at Jazz. Remember, as a group we have voted some "interesting" things in the past... and I'll leave it that. It's not my place or to judge my fellow colleagues. We all voted what we thought (and, in the future, will think) is best for us, both as individuals and for the good of the collective.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”