New hire bids

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

PIC26
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: New hire bids

Post by PIC26 »

Any tips for the sim eval? CRM and IFR ride - but do you get to discuss with your sim partner before the ride to go over things , and does it matter which side you sit on?…. Aside from studying plates and going over basic procedures/checklists any tips on what they make you do and what’s expected would be appreciated!
---------- ADS -----------

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

CRM CRM CRM. Two-crew environment. BRIEF BREIF BREIF. Make sure both of you are on the SAME MENTAL MODEL the entire ride. Don't do any cowboy stuff. If it doesn't work GO AROUND. Be polite, give a vigorous handshake, dress well and be humble. If you don't know, ASK; ATC, dispatch, your co-pilot.... Nobody is perfect and they DO NOT expect to see perfection.

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

CPT.HarshColdReality wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:57 pm CRM CRM CRM. Two-crew environment. BRIEF BREIF BREIF. Make sure both of you are on the SAME MENTAL MODEL the entire ride. Don't do any cowboy stuff. If it doesn't work GO AROUND. Be polite, give a vigorous handshake, dress well and be humble. If you don't know, ASK; ATC, dispatch, your co-pilot.... Nobody is perfect and they DO NOT expect to see perfection.
Don’t forget your FAs ;-)

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

PIC26 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:26 pm Any tips for the sim eval? CRM and IFR ride - but do you get to discuss with your sim partner before the ride to go over things , and does it matter which side you sit on?…. Aside from studying plates and going over basic procedures/checklists any tips on what they make you do and what’s expected would be appreciated!
When I was doing them the key phrase "show them that you're trainable. If your co-pilot gives you a "fly at a pitch of 5 degrees to stay level" do it and make a point of noticing that it their pointers are working. Shows that when you're doing an initial you're able to adapt to techniques that your instructor will give you.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

So what's the bid for the current GS?

maverick21
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by maverick21 »

I heard it’s 8 E175, 6 RJ and 6Q. Bases were YYZ and YUL, unsure of the exact breakdown for each base.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Dec 13 GS Class

Q, EMB, RJ in YYZ & YUL

PIC26
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PIC26 »

What’s the current backlog in the hiring pool? Was told they have groundschools every 3 weeks however will they keep a candidate in the pool forever until one gets an atpl or hours etc.. just looking for info on how long to expect to be in the pool

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

PIC26 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:19 am What’s the current backlog in the hiring pool? Was told they have groundschools every 3 weeks however will they keep a candidate in the pool forever until one gets an atpl or hours etc.. just looking for info on how long to expect to be in the pool
I don't know if anyone other than HR would know how many candidates are in the pool at any given moment and as far as how long one could wait depends mostly on if more experienced pilots are also interviewing and getting job offers. My two cents on the matter would be to apply else where.

Admiral Benson
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Admiral Benson »

Does anyone know how many showed up for the initial course that started today?

nick_m_007
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nick_m_007 »

Admiral Benson wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:14 pm Does anyone know how many showed up for the initial course that started today?

8 YYZ CRJ FO
6 YYZ Q400 FO/CA
4 YUL E175 FO

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

nick_m_007 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:42 pm
Admiral Benson wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:14 pm Does anyone know how many showed up for the initial course that started today?

8 YYZ CRJ FO
6 YYZ Q400 FO/CA
4 YUL E175 FO
Wonder if they got AC interview dates yet?
Kidding.

Glad to hear classes still getting filled. Still curious as to the west coast work.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

20 is full, 18 is two short of full.

We have people leaving all over the place, with a bunch more doing interviews.

Some are getting Sims canceled because they don't have instructors, while the candidate also have interviews elsewhere. Some are barley finishing line indoc before leaving.

Captains are leaving for Flair and Porter, transat, westjet and then AC on top of it.

Routes keep disappearing, or being reduced/getting covered by mainline.

I think we are past the tipping point and will see a much smaller operation this summer. The time to fix this has essentially past, and whoever controls the purse strings is being oddly stubborn, as of they can't actually beleive the situation the are witnessing.

I am at a loss for how we get ahead of this at this point. I suspect when the time comes, it will cost a lot more to fix now than it would have 6 months ago. No one who left is coming back, and as we dither, nearly everyone else is upping their payscales, and hiring people that might have otherwise come here. The hole just gets bigger, and management just wants to pretend it isn't happening.

China is opening up, and will likely need pilots, and if that southern border cracks just an inch, it will be over.

Such a bizzare situation.

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:07 pm

8 YYZ CRJ FO
6 YYZ Q400 FO/CA
4 YUL E175 FO
Kidding.

Glad to hear classes still getting filled. Still curious as to the west coast work.
How many of those have an ATPL and 2000hrs ? They could still apply and go to AC in 6 months if the company does nothing to stop the bleeding.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Babar350 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:38 pm

8 YYZ CRJ FO
6 YYZ Q400 FO/CA
4 YUL E175 FO
Kidding.

How many of those have an ATPL and 2000hrs ? They could still apply and go to AC in 6 months if the company does nothing to stop the bleeding.
Not sure as to the experience levels of the new hires.

And Yes. If you have 2000 hours and an ATPL, you’re marketable already (depending on what type of hours those are). You can for sure land a better paying job that isn’t jazz and find your way into AC from OTS.

But If you were to go to jazz, AC has two portals, “express” and “non-express”.

So it may be tough to explain why you applied knowingly in the non-express portal when you work at jazz. But I’ve seen crazier things.

Bluenoser29
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bluenoser29 »

deleted

Last edited by Bluenoser29 on Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bluenoser29
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bluenoser29 »

Babar350 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:38 pm

8 YYZ CRJ FO
6 YYZ Q400 FO/CA
4 YUL E175 FO
Kidding.

A friend of mine is in this class. 1500TT with A's just signed off.

wcpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wcpilot »

If my goal is to be based back in YVR as fast as possible is there any difference between bidding RJ or Q4?

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

wcpilot wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:48 pm If my goal is to be based back in YVR as fast as possible is there any difference between bidding RJ or Q4?
This week, I’d say the RJ…but as soon as you pick the RJ I’m sure the Q will pick back up again..

wcpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wcpilot »

link821 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:10 pm
wcpilot wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:48 pm If my goal is to be based back in YVR as fast as possible is there any difference between bidding RJ or Q4?
This week, I’d say the RJ…but as soon as you pick the RJ I’m sure the Q will pick back up again..
Thanks! Any idea how long on average I can expect to be based out east?

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”