Carson King Air Medevac Captain

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Post Reply
Message
Author
johngalt
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:34 pm

Carson King Air Medevac Captain

#1 Post by johngalt » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:59 pm

What kind of pay and schedule does a 350 cap get at Carson? Can a guy afford a mortgage and food on the goBig rate somewhat near the airport?
---------- ADS -----------
  

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1594
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:59 pm
Location: The Best Coast

Re: Carson King Air Medevac Captain

#2 Post by wallypilot » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:41 am

The short and easy answer is no. However, if you are single, or d-I-n-k, yes, you could afford a place near the airport on their starting salary. Otherwise, it's the Burbs. You're looking at $1500 per month for a one bedroom within 15 min drive of the airport. YVR is expensive...only come here if you really want to be here in Van or are obsessed with the Ocean or prefer rainy winter to snowy cold winter. The mountains are great, but you can get that and much lower cost of living in Calgary. Otherwise, go somewhere else where you'd get the same or more salary and living expenses halved. Just my $.02

Schedule is something like 5 on 5 off, or 4 on 4 off...someone who currently works there should chime in. Starting salary is in the 55-60k range.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Rtodd
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:20 am

Re: Carson King Air Medevac Captain

#3 Post by Rtodd » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:22 am

johngalt wrote:What kind of pay and schedule does a 350 cap get at Carson? Can a guy afford a mortgage and food on the goBig rate somewhat near the airport?
Check your PM's
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
Big Bird Anonymous
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 6:36 am

Re: Carson King Air Medevac Captain

#4 Post by Big Bird Anonymous » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:05 am

wallypilot wrote:The short and easy answer is no. However, if you are single, or d-I-n-k, yes, you could afford a place near the airport on their starting salary. Otherwise, it's the Burbs. You're looking at $1500 per month for a one bedroom within 15 min drive of the airport. YVR is expensive...only come here if you really want to be here in Van or are obsessed with the Ocean or prefer rainy winter to snowy cold winter. The mountains are great, but you can get that and much lower cost of living in Calgary. Otherwise, go somewhere else where you'd get the same or more salary and living expenses halved. Just my $.02

Schedule is something like 5 on 5 off, or 4 on 4 off...someone who currently works there should chime in. Starting salary is in the 55-60k range.
...or you could move to northern Alberta and make 85k and live in the frozen wasteland buy a cheap house and wish you were in Vancouver everyday until your bond is repaid...
---------- ADS -----------
  
Little Bird

AWOS
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:38 am

Re: Carson King Air Medevac Captain

#5 Post by AWOS » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:47 pm

Big Bird Anonymous wrote:
wallypilot wrote:The short and easy answer is no. However, if you are single, or d-I-n-k, yes, you could afford a place near the airport on their starting salary. Otherwise, it's the Burbs. You're looking at $1500 per month for a one bedroom within 15 min drive of the airport. YVR is expensive...only come here if you really want to be here in Van or are obsessed with the Ocean or prefer rainy winter to snowy cold winter. The mountains are great, but you can get that and much lower cost of living in Calgary. Otherwise, go somewhere else where you'd get the same or more salary and living expenses halved. Just my $.02

Schedule is something like 5 on 5 off, or 4 on 4 off...someone who currently works there should chime in. Starting salary is in the 55-60k range.
...or you could move to northern Alberta and make 85k and live in the frozen wasteland buy a cheap house and wish you were in Vancouver everyday until your bond is repaid...

Ouch. Too real.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Cobra64
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:10 am

Re: Carson King Air Medevac Captain

#6 Post by Cobra64 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:27 pm

Big Bird Anonymous wrote:
...or you could move to northern Alberta and make 85k and live in the frozen wasteland buy a cheap house and wish you were in Vancouver everyday until your bond is repaid...
Or you could move to Norther Ab and enjoy your community, your sub 1 million dollar house, go camping, fishing, or quadding with your buddies all the time, and be thankful you aren't stuck in traffic for 20 hours a week.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:57 am

Re: Carson King Air Medevac Captain

#7 Post by Black_Tusk » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:53 pm

If that's the starting salary, yes you'll have no issues living in Vancouver so long as you don't want to live in Kits or something. Richmond rents can be around $1200/month for a pretty nice place.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Rtodd
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:20 am

Re: Carson King Air Medevac Captain

#8 Post by Rtodd » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:45 pm

Cobra64 wrote:
Big Bird Anonymous wrote:
...or you could move to northern Alberta and make 85k and live in the frozen wasteland buy a cheap house and wish you were in Vancouver everyday until your bond is repaid...
Or you could move to Norther Ab and enjoy your community, your sub 1 million dollar house, go camping, fishing, or quadding with your buddies all the time, and be thankful you aren't stuck in traffic for 20 hours a week.
Some of us happen to love Vancouver...all of the above and even more with no bugs, no -20 for 4 -6 months and really it's only 10 hours a week in traffic
---------- ADS -----------
  

leftoftrack
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 662
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: Carson King Air Medevac Captain

#9 Post by leftoftrack » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:38 am

To be fair, there was snow on the ground all winter last year. Also, it rained every day for 2 months prior to the snow and for 2 months after it left.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
oldncold
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu May 13, 2004 11:17 am

Re: Carson King Air Medevac Captain

#10 Post by oldncold » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:37 am

Latest up date;
Training bond 35k for training on king air or citation 24months no cash up front. Capt Salary 60k jet( first year) 100k after 8years capt salary king air 350. 70-90k depending on Exp. Important to note cost of living YLW or yvr particularly parking, traffic ,gas incidental. Pst taxes Etc .
---------- ADS -----------
  

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1594
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:59 pm
Location: The Best Coast

Re: Carson King Air Medevac Captain

#11 Post by wallypilot » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:55 pm

oldncold wrote:Latest up date;
Training bond 35k for training on king air or citation 24months no cash up front. Capt Salary 60k jet( first year) 100k after 8years capt salary king air 350. 70-90k depending on Exp. Important to note cost of living YLW or yvr particularly parking, traffic ,gas incidental. Pst taxes Etc .
For the jet, I think if you have some amount of jet pic the starting salary is around 80ish.
---------- ADS -----------
  

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator
Posts: 5251
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Straight outta Dundarave...

Re: Carson King Air Medevac Captain

#12 Post by North Shore » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:04 am

it would appear that news of the 'pilot shortage' hasn't yet travelled up to the Okanagan. If you had previous jet time, why wouldn't you be looking at a major airline, or something that gets you a better QOL than $80k doing medevacs out of YVR?
---------- ADS -----------
  
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.

Rtodd
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:20 am

Re: Carson King Air Medevac Captain

#13 Post by Rtodd » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:50 am

North Shore wrote:it would appear that news of the 'pilot shortage' hasn't yet travelled up to the Okanagan. If you had previous jet time, why wouldn't you be looking at a major airline, or something that gets you a better QOL than $80k doing medevacs out of YVR?
First of all, you are basing your opinion on an anonymous AvCan posters opinion and not everyone is seeking the life of a "scheduled" pilot.

The opportunity to give back to our communities by means of the Air Ambulance service is something that takes a special type of person.

YVR is what it is and for my money, the finest place to live in Canada...see my resume!

The pay is commensurate with experience and we look after the quality of life of our pilots.

Since there is a pilot shortage, movement is brisk.

Carson Air is progressive and honorable company whose staff are dedicated to safety and growth.

Perhaps you would like to contact me directly, I would be happy to help in any way I can.

Randy Todd
Base Manager-YVR
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “Employment Forum”