Air Sprint Questions

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Minimums
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Air Sprint Questions

Post by Minimums »

AirSprintInc wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:23 pm
blueoval56 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:36 pm Hello sir,

I am seeing your most recent job ad a little late, but have you filled all of your Captain positions?

As a side note, after reading through this entire thread, the openess and transparency of the Airsprint team is truly refreshing!

Thanks
Hi blueoval56,

Our application window is still open for both Captains and First Officers so I encourage you to apply!

Matt
Are there not enough people to fill internally, especially the captain ranks? I know you guys are growing, but i can’t see a citation guy not wanting a legacy seat, unless there is something overwhelming tempting about the smaller jet that i don’t know about.

Also, noticed your payscale hasn’t changed in a few years, nor is it indexed to inflation, which, i presume, means you are not unionized, or that wouldn’t be a thing. 90k starting 5 years ago was alright. 90k, is the old 80k at the bank of Canada average 5 years ago, and that’s not taking in this years wild and crazy. Judging by your chart, raises would barely keep in pace with inflation, am I incorrect?

Have noticed a few of your guys lately. They are not the happy go lucky that they used to be. I see a lot of black eyed pilots coming through, some of them starting their shifts, not just ending it, usually mumbling some level of dissatisfaction and fatigue. Lot of new faces too, whom seem more grumpy than some of your veterans.

Hope someone is steering the ship out there.
---------- ADS -----------

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

Minimums wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:31 am
AirSprintInc wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:23 pm
blueoval56 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:36 pm Hello sir,

I am seeing your most recent job ad a little late, but have you filled all of your Captain positions?

As a side note, after reading through this entire thread, the openess and transparency of the Airsprint team is truly refreshing!

Thanks
Hi blueoval56,

Our application window is still open for both Captains and First Officers so I encourage you to apply!

Matt
Are there not enough people to fill internally, especially the captain ranks? I know you guys are growing, but i can’t see a citation guy not wanting a legacy seat, unless there is something overwhelming tempting about the smaller jet that i don’t know about.

Also, noticed your payscale hasn’t changed in a few years, nor is it indexed to inflation, which, i presume, means you are not unionized, or that wouldn’t be a thing. 90k starting 5 years ago was alright. 90k, is the old 80k at the bank of Canada average 5 years ago, and that’s not taking in this years wild and crazy. Judging by your chart, raises would barely keep in pace with inflation, am I incorrect?

Have noticed a few of your guys lately. They are not the happy go lucky that they used to be. I see a lot of black eyed pilots coming through, some of them starting their shifts, not just ending it, usually mumbling some level of dissatisfaction and fatigue. Lot of new faces too, whom seem more grumpy than some of your veterans.

Hope someone is steering the ship out there.

Hi Minimums,

As addressed elsewhere in this thread, our preference is to always upgrade from within, whether that be for a CJ or Embraer FO to CJ Captain or CJ Captain to Embraer Captain position. Unfortunately crewing numbers do not always allow for this and with our unprecedented growth we are simply not able to fill every Embraer Captain position internally.

It is true our pay scale has not changed in a few years, but again as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, we are constantly evaluating our pay scale to ensure it is competitive within the industry. As we believe in transparency we have posted our salaries for prospective pilots to see. If our salary range does not meet someone’s expectations I would imagine they would choose not to apply.

AirSprint has experienced unprecedented growth in the past year and this, combined with pent up travel demand from our owners, has resulted in our flying being well beyond what we normally see, and as a company this level of demand is not desired. Every department, from pilots to maintenance to dispatch etc. are all effected by the extra workload.

While each department is tackling the increased workload in different ways, from the Flight Department side of things we will have welcomed 12 new pilots to our team in Q4 alone and will continue to add to the team well into next year. Our management pilots are flying the line on a regular basis to help with the workload and training. The FD Management team is also constantly reviewing the schedule and providing proactive support wherever possible, and our Duty Pilot (on call management pilot for operational support) is on call 24/7 to assist with anything a crew may need.

With three aircraft joining the fleet next month and our owners pent up demand subsiding we will start to see a return to normal workloads in the near future. And the future remains bright as we do have 4 additional new aircraft deliveries scheduled for 2022, these are in addition to the three aircraft joining the fleet next month mentioned earlier.

All of the above is not news to our pilots though as both the leadership team and FD management have communicated this to the team. Our CEO, James Elian, hosts a weekly meeting with all employees to provide updates on how AirSprint is doing, what is going well, what the struggles are, and what is being done to address those struggles.

COVID has been a struggle for our entire industry, and each company is facing challenges unique to its own operation. While we have not been immune to these struggles, we are learning from them so they are not repeated in the future.

Minimums I appreciate your concern for our pilot group and their working conditions and I hope I provided some sense of how the “ship is being steered” as it were. I welcome you to contact me directly to discuss these issues further should you so desire.

Fly Safe!
Matt

byo747
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by byo747 »

Hi Matt,
Thanks for all of your replies on this thread. While I understand most trips are assigned the day before, what would be the callout time while on reserve the day off? Or rather how close to your base do most pilots live?

Look forward to your reply.

Regards,
Mark

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

byo747 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:23 pm Hi Matt,
Thanks for all of your replies on this thread. While I understand most trips are assigned the day before, what would be the callout time while on reserve the day off? Or rather how close to your base do most pilots live?

Regards,
Mark
Good Morning Mark,

We have a 90 minute report time after a phone call to do so. We don't stipulate where a pilot can or cannot live however, with our 90 minute requirement, most pilots do live within that range. As we do not have reciprocal agreements with airlines commuting would be difficult and is not recommended.

Kind Regards,
Matt

hamstandard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hamstandard »

AirSprintInc wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:59 am

Regards,
Mark
Good Morning Mark,

We have a 90 minute report time after a phone call to do so. We don't stipulate where a pilot can or cannot live however, with our 90 minute requirement, most pilots do live within that range. As we do not have reciprocal agreements with airlines commuting would be difficult and is not recommended.

Kind Regards,
Matt
AirSprint pilots have 16 days on reserve, and 12 days off,
out of out of every 28 day period as a standard schedule. AirSprint also has optional 18 days reserve (10 off) or
14 days reserve (14 off) schedules that can be requested by pilots when spots on that schedule are available. A
pilots salary is adjusted up or down based on the schedule they choose and is detailed on the next page. The
minimum consecutive reserve days is 7, with a maximum of 8. A pilot may choose to allow up to 13 consecutive
reserve days if they select that option in the PBS software.

I thought with the blocks of time off, one might be able to commute. Can you give some examples of days on and off for pilots in November. How many days off in a row are the guys getting off.

98flyguy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 98flyguy »

Hi Matt,

I’ve been reading this thread thoroughly to understand more about the company and I thank you greatly for all the informative replies. It’s very admirable and reflects well on the culture at AirSprint, and definitely something I’d like to be a part of.

Would 1200 hours total (200 Northern turbine time, 1000 hours PIC instructing time) with ATPLs written and an aviation diploma be realistically adequate for an opportunity at the company as an FO or would I need to work until the 2000 hours total for consideration?

Thank you in advance and I look forward to connecting with you.

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

hamstandard wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:57 pm
AirSprintInc wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:59 am

Regards,
Mark
Good Morning Mark,

Kind Regards,
Matt
AirSprint pilots have 16 days on reserve, and 12 days off,
out of out of every 28 day period as a standard schedule. AirSprint also has optional 18 days reserve (10 off) or
14 days reserve (14 off) schedules that can be requested by pilots when spots on that schedule are available. A
pilots salary is adjusted up or down based on the schedule they choose and is detailed on the next page. The
minimum consecutive reserve days is 7, with a maximum of 8. A pilot may choose to allow up to 13 consecutive
reserve days if they select that option in the PBS software.

I thought with the blocks of time off, one might be able to commute. Can you give some examples of days on and off for pilots in November. How many days off in a row are the guys getting off.
Hi Hamstandard,

This is a tough one to answer as everyone is getting something a bit different depending on how they bid. Through December on the CJ fleet I see anywhere from 3 days off (special request, normally 4 is the least amount of days off the system will assign) up to 14 consecutive days off. Normally, on the 16/12 schedule, 8 on and 6 off is fairly repeatable to give you a general idea. The longest continuous stretch of days on reserve you could bid for is 13, but you are not guaranteed that every bid block as the system works to try and keep everyone's satisfaction level high, and if granting a 13 day stretch would negatively affect the group as a whole, the system may not grant it.

For that, and the reasons mentioned previously, I would not recommend commuting on our schedule.

That said, if you would like to discuss your particular situation in detail to see if it would be a fit I would be happy to do so, just send me an email at mnr@airsprint.com.

Kind Regards,
Matt

Last edited by AirSprintInc on Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

98flyguy wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:34 pm Hi Matt,

I’ve been reading this thread thoroughly to understand more about the company and I thank you greatly for all the informative replies. It’s very admirable and reflects well on the culture at AirSprint, and definitely something I’d like to be a part of.

Would 1200 hours total (200 Northern turbine time, 1000 hours PIC instructing time) with ATPLs written and an aviation diploma be realistically adequate for an opportunity at the company as an FO or would I need to work until the 2000 hours total for consideration?

Thank you in advance and I look forward to connecting with you.
Hi flyguy,

While we do tend to stick to our hiring minimums for the most part, we have on occasion hired outside of them so I would definitely encourage you to apply if you have not done so already! At the very least, it does show the desire and interest to join our team once you do meet the minimums, which is something we always like to see.

Kind Regards,
Matt

hawker driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by hawker driver »

Seeing as pilot pay is increasing everywhere lets see how Air Sprint compares to other fractional operators.

Here is the first officer pay scale for as advertised by Air Sprint and Flexjet for a first year Legacy/Praetor co pilot.
16 day schedule per month on same type of aircraft doing same job.

Year 1 first officer
Air Sprint $55,000
Flexjet $108,038. US$ plus average 8% bonus per year.

Year 5 first officer
AirSprint. $65,000
Flexjet. $121,597 US$ plus average 8% bonus per year.

Even without converting the US to Canadian dollars ( 1.25 ) you have a serious pay difference.
I did not consider the soft money of 12+ hour duty bonus rate of $70 per hour for FO's and $156 /hour for Captains at Flexjet.

Now we go to Captain pay on the Legacy/Praetor comparison.
16 days work per month

Year 5 with the company Captain pay
Air Sprint $ 120,000
Flexjet. $ 190,490 US$ plus 16% bonus per year

Year 10
Air Sprint. $ 130,000
Flexjet $ 223,523 US$ plus 16% bonus per year

Year 20
Airsprint. $ 150,000
Flexjet. $ 288,697 US$ plus 16% bonus per year. Flexjet year 18 pay is maximum then you just get an extra 3.5% anniversary bonus after that.

With the US now opening up to Australian pilots and possibly Canadian pilots in the next few years pay will have to increase considerably to prevent a total collapse in the Canadian pilot ranks. Consider this Flexjet announced they will hire 300+ new pilots this year after hiring 200 last year.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

It won't happen, until it has to happen. The Canadian industry is so reactive they will not actively take from the profits until they have to.

It'll be interesting see how quick or slow companies are to adjust their investment strategy from constantly adding new jets to their fleet, to paying competitive salaries to avoid a significant brain drain (that goes for nearly every company in Canada, not just Air Sprint).

Just be ready and wait for the border to open with ticket in hand. I hope we can avoid bringing our bad Canadian habits down of signing gigantic one way financially penalizing training agreements, to falling apart during negotiations, thereby severely undercutting our U.S brethren.

throwawaycorporate
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by throwawaycorporate »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:09 am It won't happen, until it has to happen. The Canadian industry is so reactive they will not actively take from the profits until they have to.

It'll be interesting see how quick or slow companies are to adjust their investment strategy from constantly adding new jets to their fleet, to paying competitive salaries to avoid a significant brain drain (that goes for nearly every company in Canada, not just Air Sprint).

Just be ready and wait for the border to open with ticket in hand. I hope we can avoid bringing our bad Canadian habits down of signing gigantic one way financially penalizing training agreements, to falling apart during negotiations, thereby severely undercutting our U.S brethren.
If the border opens QOL will go down in the US and up in Canada. Just supply and demand. The good thing is that in theory Canada has 10% as many pilots as the US and so wages in Canada would have to come up much more than their wages would go down.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

throwawaycorporate wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:50 pm
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:09 am It won't happen, until it has to happen. The Canadian industry is so reactive they will not actively take from the profits until they have to.

If the border opens QOL will go down in the US and up in Canada. Just supply and demand. The good thing is that in theory Canada has 10% as many pilots as the US and so wages in Canada would have to come up much more than their wages would go down.
The only good news, is that we have such a small number of pilots we would only do very minimal damage to their QOL, as one major airline down there has the capacity to absorb all the ATP pilots in Canada and it still wouldn't be enough to account for their growth.

As long as the current group of MECs stay north of the border and out of the unions down there, we should be fine - mostly looking at ACPA. Unfortunately those people would be the first to spillover and ruin a perfectly well oiled united machine.

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

AirSprintInc wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:54 am AirSprint has experienced unprecedented growth in the past year
and
AirSprintInc wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:54 am It is true our pay scale has not changed in a few years, but again as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, we are constantly evaluating our pay scale to ensure it is competitive within the industry
You would think with "unprecedented growth" there would be room in the budget for improving wages...

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

As long as pilots keep showing up for work and are shackled by training bonds there is no need to raise wages. These operators will only raise the bar when they absolutely have to

ASPilotsUnited
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ASPilotsUnited »

hawker driver wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:12 pm Seeing as pilot pay is increasing everywhere lets see how Air Sprint compares to other fractional operators.

Here is the first officer pay scale for as advertised by Air Sprint and Flexjet for a first year Legacy/Praetor co pilot.
16 day schedule per month on same type of aircraft doing same job.

Year 1 first officer
Air Sprint $55,000
Flexjet $108,038. US$ plus average 8% bonus per year.

Year 5 first officer
AirSprint. $65,000
Flexjet. $121,597 US$ plus average 8% bonus per year.

Even without converting the US to Canadian dollars ( 1.25 ) you have a serious pay difference.
I did not consider the soft money of 12+ hour duty bonus rate of $70 per hour for FO's and $156 /hour for Captains at Flexjet.

Now we go to Captain pay on the Legacy/Praetor comparison.
16 days work per month

Year 5 with the company Captain pay
Air Sprint $ 120,000
Flexjet. $ 190,490 US$ plus 16% bonus per year

Year 10
Air Sprint. $ 130,000
Flexjet $ 223,523 US$ plus 16% bonus per year

Year 20
Airsprint. $ 150,000
Flexjet. $ 288,697 US$ plus 16% bonus per year. Flexjet year 18 pay is maximum then you just get an extra 3.5% anniversary bonus after that.

With the US now opening up to Australian pilots and possibly Canadian pilots in the next few years pay will have to increase considerably to prevent a total collapse in the Canadian pilot ranks. Consider this Flexjet announced they will hire 300+ new pilots this year after hiring 200 last year.
Hi Hawker Driver,

Yes, there are some stark pay differences between us, and our US counterparts. Couple notes on this however.

US pay since instituting the 1500hr rule has increased exponentially across the board, be that on the topic of charter operators, pure part 91 (Corporate), fractional, or airline. They all pay nearly twice the Canadian rate when you include the exchange rate. So to make the comparison of Air Sprint wages to Flexjet wages, is the same as making the comparison of encore to silver, or Air Canada To Delta or United; you will find equal discrepancies there as well. Not advocating that it’s right, it’s merely a reflection of the supply and demand model differences. In Canada you can jump into big iron at 250 hours, and thus, have no time filling slots at regionals, which trickle effect spreads throughout the industry and throughout the country. As for the ability to work down there, don’t hold your breath on change coming soon. Wish it would, but that’s just not the current reality, and we’d be better off lobbying to meet the 1500 hour minimum, which would yield a greater impression on our industry.

Second note. Our scale is dated, this we are aware. However as per our management, it is under review just as it always is every few years. While we don’t expect huge increases, it should be brought up some to meet current competitive standards. One thing we are set on (as the pilot group) is tying any new scale to the inflationary index. We expect word back on it’s result in the next couple months, again, that’s coming directly from management. As for duty day, callout, night shift bonuses, time will tell when the results come in.

Hope that helps.

ASPilots United

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

What does ASPilotsUnited stand for? Are you guys unionizing?

Didn't the guy who tried to start a union mysteriously leave the company within a few weeks?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
UndisputedTruth
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by UndisputedTruth »

digits_ wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:33 pm What does ASPilotsUnited stand for? Are you guys unionizing?

Didn't the guy who tried to start a union mysteriously leave the company within a few weeks?
Mysterious circumstances :roll: the guy was flake who started the whole thing to get out of his bond. Talked a big game of solidarity, hyped up everyone for a week and then claimed he felt “threatened” by some forces within the company. Management was happy to oblige, showed him the door and breathed a collective sigh of relief.

The union drive is dead in the water as far as I know, management is “promising” changes but doubt it’s gonna lead to anything meaningful. With the drive dead it’s gonna be crumbs from the table for the Proles

ASPilots United ✊🏻

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

UndisputedTruth wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:27 pm the guy was flake who started the whole thing to get out of his bond.
That's an original tactic. Quite the game of chicken to play with management though :mrgreen:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
ASPilotsUnited
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ASPilotsUnited »

digits_ wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:33 pm What does ASPilotsUnited stand for? Are you guys unionizing?

We are a small group of a few senior and newer pilots whom are carrying on where the last left off, albeit in a less combative manner in a more anonymous state. We understand and appreciate the unique business and position we are in, and seek improvements as any other group does, without having to turn towards unionization. That being said, we are not unwilling to go that route, if promises are not lived up to and slide of hand tactics are given. At this point however, the ball is in management’s court and we have no reason to believe they will not deliver on their stated intentions, with a firm date of response self imposed on themselves.

As for the original pilot who started it, there may have been some individual vendetta, but is our understanding he chose to leave on a mutual understanding under a non disclosure agreement.

ASPilots United.

scabbydoo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by scabbydoo »

ASPilotsUnited wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:08 am

We are a small group of a few senior and newer pilots whom are carrying on where the last left off, albeit in a less combative manner in a more anonymous state. We understand and appreciate the unique business and position we are in, and seek improvements as any other group does, without having to turn towards unionization. That being said, we are not unwilling to go that route, if promises are not lived up to and slide of hand tactics are given. At this point however, the ball is in management’s court and we have no reason to believe they will not deliver on their stated intentions, with a firm date of response self imposed on themselves.

As for the original pilot who started it, there may have been some individual vendetta, but is our understanding he chose to leave on a mutual understanding under a non disclosure agreement.

ASPilots United.
So...company-sponsored representation. Where have I seen that before?

Return to “Corporate”