Sunwing hiring update

Discuss topics related to Sunwing.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ads-b
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Sunwing hiring update

Post by ads-b »

WellThatAgedWell wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:09 am
fruz wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:35 am Just to be clear for those who are applying here.
The current state of the company is poor. The level of morale is at an all time low.
Likely a statement you could make about every airline in Canada. The ones who are happy are the ones well on their way to retirement. They are looking back thinking, “damn this industry has changed since I first started, good riddance!”. The generation on their way out are the ones who voted yes on the contract for those on the way in.

Sad how that generation sold out their kids futures. All the A and B scale contracts, flat pay, etc. I think airline pilots would be better off with no unions.
You have it completely backwards. Last contract the seniors were sold out. We’re already near the bottom of the airline pay scales. No reason to come here.

Fruz is 100% correct in his/her assessment. Ask hard questions. If you bother to show up. Seems we have a large percentage of candidates not attending interviews. Wonder why?
---------- ADS -----------

fruz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fruz »

I can’t speak for what other carriers are doing or what their pilot group experiencing. I can tell you that the current state of affairs is beyond toxic here. If other carriers are toxic too well add in Sunwing low salaries.

Think long and hard about coming to this company. This is a real warning to those who are considering. Many of us are looking to leave. When I say many, I mean lots. Many have already bailed!

People may brush this off as someone who is just jaded but I assure you it’s an employee group that’s jaded here. I’m just one guy telling you and warning you of what they may not tell you in the interview. Things are very bad here right now and I’d hedge my bets at another company imo.

Pm me if you like. I’ll gladly give you the scoop. Just beware of what you’re getting into by coming here. Sunwing is a toxic, poorly managed company currently that has an uncertain future.

Just an honest warning.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

I recently left Sunwing. When I got my logbook certified, there was no conversation with the Chief Pilot about why I was leaving or where I was going, no pleasant 5 minute chit chat about my time there, no asking what I’ve been up to since last being in the office over 2 years ago due to the pandemic. Just come in, stamp the book, make sure my hours were correct, and show me the door and make sure to turn in my RAIC on the way out. Definitely not a “warm and fuzzy feeling” for my last interaction with the company.

I know senior captains who have practically been there since day 1 who are actively looking to leave.

When you’ve got 15+ years experience and all the perks seniority affords, it speaks volumes that they’re considering on bailing to start over somewhere else.

safetyfirst123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by safetyfirst123 »

Approximately 10% of Sunwing pilots have chosen to leave in the last 6 months or so, and another 2% were let go due to the vaccine mandates. The company acts like pilots should be happy to be back after nearly two years off during the shutdown, but thankfully there are other opportunities available and many are making such choices. When you also consider that approximately 65% of those that applied for the recent upgrade got bypassed in order for the company to apply for temporary foreign workers, it says a lot about the type of management Sunwing has. Air Canada is ramping up hiring in a significant way, and hopefully it will be an opportunity for many to seek a proper career company. The Sunwing airline division will likely cease to exist with the purchase by Westjet, so it's anybody's guess as to how the employees will be treated in this transaction.

GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoHomeLeg »

Things aren't that bad. Relax. Lots of people still like it here.

There's a reason a majority of sunwing pilots don't go on the union message board. And that because it's a constant b**** fest by the same half a dozen or so guys.

Yes there is room for improvement and management as it's faults and failures, but it's far from being a miserable place to work. Yes there are lots who want to leave for AC, but there are lots who have turned down AC or have no desire to apply.

Boo hoo, management wasn't nice to me when I quit. A grown as* man got his feelings hurt. This is my fourth company and the last three didn't give a shit that I quit. It was the same; turn in your ID on the way out. You already made the decision to quit. You didn't go in the office for them to change your mind by hearing some nice words.

We are going through our post COVID recovery and federal restrictions messed things up earlier this year.

Don't let the negative people influence your decision. Most of them will naturally gravitate towards the negative crowd at the next company they work at.

I will say I do find value in some of these people as they do fight for improvement, but some of it is excessive and over the top.

Sunwing is a great place to work. Every company as its pros and cons. If your trying to go to AC one day, go for it, but don't turn this down because of a handful of negative people on a message board.

Respectfully

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

GoHomeLeg wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:33 am Things aren't that bad. Relax. Lots of people still like it here.

There's a reason a majority of sunwing pilots don't go on the union message board. And that because it's a constant b**** fest by the same half a dozen or so guys.

Yes there is room for improvement and management as it's faults and failures, but it's far from being a miserable place to work. Yes there are lots who want to leave for AC, but there are lots who have turned down AC or have no desire to apply.

Boo hoo, management wasn't nice to me when I quit. A grown as* man got his feelings hurt. This is my fourth company and the last three didn't give a shit that I quit. It was the same; turn in your ID on the way out. You already made the decision to quit. You didn't go in the office for them to change your mind by hearing some nice words.

We are going through our post COVID recovery and federal restrictions messed things up earlier this year.

Don't let the negative people influence your decision. Most of them will naturally gravitate towards the negative crowd at the next company they work at.

I will say I do find value in some of these people as they do fight for improvement, but some of it is excessive and over the top.

Sunwing is a great place to work. Every company as its pros and cons. If your trying to go to AC one day, go for it, but don't turn this down because of a handful of negative people on a message board.

Respectfully
+1. I will agree that the management team right now is a mess. The people bypassed for no apparent reason in the latest upgrade bid have a right to be pissed. Stay out of the politics and it’s a pretty sweet gig. I don’t plan on going anywhere. I just hope things don’t get too messy in the Westjet deal.

ads-b
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ads-b »

Here’s 1 question for the last 2 posters.

Why chose Sunwing over Westjet, AC, Swoop, Flair, Jazz or Porter?

futboler14
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by futboler14 »

Remember when Sunwing (and the rest of the industry) took advantage of CEWS and Air Canada didn't?
Things aren't that bad. Relax. Lots of people still like it here.
I agree with this guy^

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

ads-b wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:52 am Here’s 1 question for the last 2 posters.

Westjet - the flying and upgrade times. But it is true that we don’t know how that will change.
AC - go to AC if you have the chance.
Swoop - it’s a dumpster fire there, everyone I know there hates it.
Flair - the flying sucks. I don’t think it will last (I hope I’m wrong for the guys there). No, or almost no, layovers.
Jazz and Porter are regionals. Not even comparable.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

If it’s true that upgradable FO’s were passed over for TFW’s and one chooses to stay you kind of get what you deserve.

Sucks you’d have to start over from the bottom but what’s the point of staying anyways.

RocksAndProps
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RocksAndProps »

ads-b wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:52 am Here’s 1 question for the last 2 posters.

Super long sectors and long average days means very few days worked. My block is usually 12-15 days a month, and I'm fairly junior in base. Fun layovers and you'll get to know lots of your colleagues well. It's rare after a few years not to at least have heard of who you're flying with.

Deployments have been awesome, but they may be coming to a close. Rumours of more Euro deployments are just that. The pay isn't great, but it gets more manageable after the first few years.

With that said I'm not happy with how things are going, for many of the reasons listed above. I'm not keen on hanging my hat here, but the day I leave it will be a sad day.

GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoHomeLeg »

Why choose Swoop over the rest? Glorified regional airline. Don't like the type of flying. Been there done that.
More work, not much pay. To each their own.

Why choose Flair over the rest? Same as swoop and a big gamble.

Why choose Porter over the rest? We'll have to wait and see what the jet bring to the table for pilot careers.

Why choose WestJet over the rest? People are leaving in droves for AC. Same with Encore.

I don't work for any of those airlines so I don't know what it's like to work there, but I hear pilot complaining at those places just a much. Go on the WestJet board and you will see the same amount complaints if not more.
Same with the AC board.

Lots of Sunwing pilots are former Porter and Jazz pilots

Sunwing is what it is today. I'm looking forward to being busy again next winter. Sunwing may be something better or worse five years from now. Picking or switching companies is always a calculated risk. It's worked out really good for some and catastrophic for others.

If you don't like it here, that's fine, but don't sabotage it on the way out because it's not for you anymore. We still work here and will try to make it better during the next CBA. COVID and the continuation of federal restrictions is and was a major set back.

fruz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fruz »

I think it’s pretty naive to believe everything you’re hearing from management these days. The majority of the discord at this company is propagated by this management and affects everyone here. Politics….cmon. Pull your head out of the sand. Your wages are lower than most 737 pilots! Deployments next year?? I have my doubts still, despite managements recent statement. We’re losing pilots and training new ones to fill the void, which is expensive. I’m of the belief that statement was to mitigate further attrition. I could be wrong. But I’ve never known this company to know this far in advanced what was going on the following year - have you?

Look I’m not saying don’t interview. I’m saying, really understand what you’re getting into. New shiny airplane is great but there’s other operators out there. Great flying you say at SWG?..for how long? Deployments and allocation pay?? Again, I’m sceptical. This management has proven time and time again their word is worthless.

Just make sure you ask questions in the interview. The pilots in these interviews fly the line too. You’re interviewing this company just as much as they’re interviewing you. Know what you’re getting into.

Last edited by fruz on Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Latitude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Latitude »

WellThatAgedWell wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:09 am
fruz wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:35 am Just to be clear for those who are applying here.
The current state of the company is poor. The level of morale is at an all time low.
Likely a statement you could make about every airline in Canada. The ones who are happy are the ones well on their way to retirement. They are looking back thinking, “damn this industry has changed since I first started, good riddance!”. The generation on their way out are the ones who voted yes on the contract for those on the way in.

Sad how that generation sold out their kids futures. All the A and B scale contracts, flat pay, etc. I think airline pilots would be better off with no unions.
Not really ? I’m perfectly happy at my current employer and to be honest not much has changed pre pandemic vs today, minus maybe stupid delays in airports but that’s about it.

fruz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fruz »

Ask the interviewer how many people have resigned since the restart. Also ask how many have resigned this month alone. You may be surprised ...or not - I dunno. The rate of resignations is outpacing new hires. Theres a reason. Just saying. Ask what the company intends to do if they cant fulfil the roster requirement for next winter. I don't think thats a surprise but the number may be.

Gohomeleg is naive if they think things are peachy at Sunwing. Most are not happy here and looking elsewhere. I can attest. The pay is low and the future of our flying is in doubt. Relationship between the pilot group and management is bad. Lots of grievances - theres no denying this.

There's no shows in the interviews and one of the new hires just resigned after a week. Buyer beware.

qwe221sd
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by qwe221sd »

Will sunwing announce cadet program like european style ? Self sponsor MCC and jet transition and type rating . :twisted: :twisted:

GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoHomeLeg »

I wonder how many cadets the company is taking in this year. No one on the line, union, or company has mentioned anything about the cadet program.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

safetyfirst123 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:29 am Approximately 10% of Sunwing pilots have chosen to leave in the last 6 months or so, and another 2% were let go due to the vaccine mandates. The company acts like pilots should be happy to be back after nearly two years off during the shutdown, but thankfully there are other opportunities available and many are making such choices. When you also consider that approximately 65% of those that applied for the recent upgrade got bypassed in order for the company to apply for temporary foreign workers, it says a lot about the type of management Sunwing has. Air Canada is ramping up hiring in a significant way, and hopefully it will be an opportunity for many to seek a proper career company. The Sunwing airline division will likely cease to exist with the purchase by Westjet, so it's anybody's guess as to how the employees will be treated in this transaction.
If this is true, disgusting. I recently received an email stating that because I was a successful interview end 2019 they would like to put me back in the pool if I’m interested. I did send an updated resume but I would flat turn down an offer and tell them exactly why if I have confirmation of this. I’m so sick and tired of this bs from sw and I thought it was done years ago. We will never get decent wawcons in Canada because the regulators jerk off the industry and give them whatever they want. We need to force these companies to play fair and by the rules by voting with our asses and not filling their seats with them

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

Blueontop wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:30 pm If this is true, disgusting. I recently received an email stating that because I was a successful interview end 2019 they would like to put me back in the pool if I’m interested. I did send an updated resume but I would flat turn down an offer and tell them exactly why if I have confirmation of this. I’m so sick and tired of this bs from sw and I thought it was done years ago. We will never get decent wawcons in Canada because the regulators jerk off the industry and give them whatever they want. We need to force these companies to play fair and by the rules by voting with our asses and not filling their seats with them
You want confirmation? I was one of the 38 bypassed candidates. I have since resigned. That being said, Flair values my experience and has hired me as a DEC. I encourage any pilot to apply at Flair.

IMG_20220622_195022.jpg
IMG_20220622_195022.jpg (418.99 KiB) Viewed 1730 times

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoHomeLeg »

As a DEC at Flair, how many FOs are you bypassing?

The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Flair will hustle to make money too. When AC sucks everyone up and Flair starts working the remaining guys to fatigue by violating the CBA, the grass won't be so green anymore.

Don't let anger and frustration cause you to make irrational decisions.

Flair will entice pilots with multiple bases and supper sweet cool aid. When the shareholders come knocking for their ROI at this ULCC, the crews are going to feel it.

Flair is going to have very stiff competition. AC and WJ aren't going to sit around and just let this happen.

Shitting on your company publicly on the way out when you haven't even started at your new one or completed training isn't the greatest decision making.

Return to “Sunwing”