Page 1 of 1
Multi-IFR or Flight instructor rating to get a job asap in the current aviation atmosphere?
Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:46 am
by gopherblack
Hi,
I am planning on getting my Multi-IFR as I prefer it over teaching, however, I am also looking to get a job asap in the industry once I finish up my CPL (around november this year).
Thanks!
Gopher (Pronounced Go-phai-err)
Re: Multi-IFR or Flight instructor rating to get a job asap in the current aviation atmosphere?
Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:42 am
by Bravomike33
Hi,
I'm going to reply you, even if theses kind of topic exist already a lot, so first be pro-activ.
Then, it's depends how much motivation you have, and what you want, don't become à FI if you don't want, you will be a boring instructor.
Case 1
ME-IFR lower than 250h = Job will be on the North, rampist for couples on months, and then go fly.
Case 2
ME-IFR with roughly 300h with IATRA = You may apply for some compagny ( Keewatin, skycare..)
Case 3
CPL and FI = Good chances to get a job anywhere, choose a good school with a good reputation. You need to be and to teach with valuabilty.
Case 4
CPL ME IFR & FI = if you don't have a job in flight school, you have a personnel issue, lol.
Option 5
CPL & build some float time = I want to say Yes, regard to your motivation about road trip and meet personnally the compagny, with a least 20/25H float.
Last advice = build your time smartly, training is expensive, build a lot of night time, make a full stop everywhere.. A lot of people are 200/250H IFR ME IATRA. Be smart, watch the news, be at the right place, at the right time.
Santé !
Re: Multi-IFR or Flight instructor rating to get a job asap in the current aviation atmosphere?
Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:28 am
by gopherblack
Hey,
Thanks for the scenarios! They helped me give a better informed perspective. Currently I am time building and I do touch and goes for XCs. What do you mean by make a full stop everywhere?
Thanks again,
Gopher
Re: Multi-IFR or Flight instructor rating to get a job asap in the current aviation atmosphere?
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:14 am
by 172_Captain
Get your FI. In this climate you’re almost guaranteed to get a job right away. While racking up PIC time from the get go, and in addition to getting paid, you can take your time and look for the job you want and make valuable contacts along the way. Realistically, all you need to do is instruct until 1,000 hours. Pick a busy enough flight school and you can do that in 10 months.
Re: Multi-IFR or Flight instructor rating to get a job asap in the current aviation atmosphere?
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:07 am
by youhavecontrol
I did my instructor route, and found a decent paying job almost immediately and have been racking-up hours nicely. Once I had the $ saved.. I used my employee discount on rentals, plus getting a friend to teach me for free, I was able to get both the Multi and Group 1 IFR done for less than $3000. Definitely cheaper than if I had done the training as a student!!!
Re: Multi-IFR or Flight instructor rating to get a job asap in the current aviation atmosphere?
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:59 pm
by maturepilot83
"I am planning on getting my Multi-IFR as I prefer it over teaching."
You answered your own questions. Don't fork out the money for the instructor rating if you don't like to teach. It's a pretty shitty way to build hours while students who deserve decent instruction suffer.
Re: Multi-IFR or Flight instructor rating to get a job asap in the current aviation atmosphere?
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:04 am
by gopherblack
maturepilot83 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:59 pm
"I am planning on getting my Multi-IFR as I prefer it over teaching."
You answered your own questions. Don't fork out the money for the instructor rating if you don't like to teach. It's a pretty shitty way to build hours while students who deserve decent instruction suffer.
I see your point, however, if I chose to become an instructor it would not mean that I would become a shitty one and not care about the students.
Re: Multi-IFR or Flight instructor rating to get a job asap in the current aviation atmosphere?
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:03 am
by 455tt
gopherblack wrote: ↑Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:04 am
if I chose to become an instructor it would not mean that I would become a shitty one and not care about the students
Oh please spare us.
I have no doubt that the vast majority of those that become a flight instructor don't intend to remain a flight instructor for their entire careers or choose to become an instructor purely out of goodwill to student pilots. Or stated another way the vast majority of instructors, if offered a job with an airline would quit their beloved flight instructor job in an instant, leaving their students hanging there.
Will any instructor that never took on the job primarily for their own career advancement please throw the first stone?
Re: Multi-IFR or Flight instructor rating to get a job asap in the current aviation atmosphere?
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:07 pm
by gopherblack
455tt wrote: ↑Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:03 am
gopherblack wrote: ↑Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:04 am
if I chose to become an instructor it would not mean that I would become a shitty one and not care about the students
Oh please spare us.
I have no doubt that the vast majority of those that become a flight instructor don't intend to remain a flight instructor for their entire careers or choose to become an instructor purely out of goodwill to student pilots. Or stated another way the vast majority of instructors, if offered a job with an airline would quit their beloved flight instructor job in an instant, leaving their students hanging there.
Will any instructor that never took on the job primarily for their own career advancement please throw the first stone?
So are you implying that only people who choose to become a career flight instructor should even bother getting the instructor rating? I agree that most instructors would leave their jobs for a better position. But is that not what is generally advised and what most people do here?
Re: Multi-IFR or Flight instructor rating to get a job asap in the current aviation atmosphere?
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:49 pm
by 455tt
I am saying go ahead and become a flight instructor to advance your career. Enjoy the experience, give it your best, then move on. That is what most instructors do.
Re: Multi-IFR or Flight instructor rating to get a job asap in the current aviation atmosphere?
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:15 pm
by Tailwheelup
A large percentage of jobs are obtained by having a personal referral from another pilot who already works for the employer
you would like a job with.
One thing I notice is that pilots with an instructing background are better at collaborating in the cockpit.
Airlines are screening and one thing that is generally appreciated is an instructing background.
Then again, just because you have instructed does not mean you know how to collaborate in the cockpit
and can make it an enjoyable experience.
Re: Multi-IFR or Flight instructor rating to get a job asap in the current aviation atmosphere?
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:17 pm
by photofly
Tailwheelup wrote: ↑Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:15 pm
One thing I notice is that pilots with an instructing background are better at collaborating in the cockpit.
...
Then again, just because you have instructed does not mean you know how to collaborate in the cockpit
and can make it an enjoyable experience.
These two opinions are entirely contradictory. So which is it?
Re: Multi-IFR or Flight instructor rating to get a job asap in the current aviation atmosphere?
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:56 pm
by Tailwheelup
If you don't like my opinion you don't have to read it or reply to it.
Re: Multi-IFR or Flight instructor rating to get a job asap in the current aviation atmosphere?
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:35 pm
by photofly
I’m aware of my options. I’m interested in your opinion, I’m just not clear what it is.
Re: Multi-IFR or Flight instructor rating to get a job asap in the current aviation atmosphere?
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:23 am
by 455tt
photofly wrote: ↑Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:17 pm
Tailwheelup wrote: ↑Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:15 pm
One thing I notice is that pilots with an instructing background are better at collaborating in the cockpit.
...
Then again, just because you have instructed does not mean you know how to collaborate in the cockpit
and can make it an enjoyable experience.
These two opinions are entirely contradictory. So which is it?
I don't see the statements as "entirely contradictory".
The first statement is a generalization, and the second statement is that there can be exceptions. Any generalization will have exceptions.
So, for instance, if we say we have observed that student pilots who study hard tend to do well, that is not to say that those who study hard are guaranteed to do well.
Let's lighten up here - we are not judging a PhD thesis.