IATRA exam 2019

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

mdenizayvaz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: IATRA exam 2019

Post by mdenizayvaz »

Cruze_Pilot wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:11 am I write tomorrow. My study material included Nizus practice exams, 2023 ATPL Sharpers edge, some areas of reference on here and in person help from some friends. I'll let you know how it goes and if any materials have changed.

Cheers!
How was the exam?
---------- ADS -----------

Vsquared
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Vsquared »

Wrote a couple months ago, some questions I remember:
1. Balanced field.
2. Know runway defs i.e. tora, toda, clearway, stopway, etc etc.
3. Define critical mach.
4. What is viscous hydroplaning.
5. When must PIC wear an oxygen mask.
6. You're at 14,000ft on an ifr flight plan, you have a comms fail, what do you do ?
7. RAIM integrity.
8. Interpret significant wx chart.
9. Interpret 400-750mb chart.
10. bottle to throttle.
11. Excessive drinking remains in the inner ear.
12. Basic CRM questions.
13. %MAC
14. Weight shift
15. Critical point
16. Max t/o weight chart.
17. Interpret metar.
18. Interpret TAF.
19. SGR
20. Know v1, v2.
30. Effects of windshear.
31. You encounter CAT, temp is constant, HW or TW you should
32. Tailplane stall.
33. Deicing procedures.
34. Rime icing.
35. Onboard wx radar.
36. Fine pitch stops.
37. TAS.
38. ISA standard atmosphere.
39. Cold soaked wings.
40. Vortex generators.
41. EPR
42. Floor of NCA.
43. A/C that are bad for type 2 and 4.
44. Heavy takes off ahead of you what do you do
45. Max speed below 10000.

Fairly easy test. Didn't really study just reviewed all the forums for past questions.
Whipped through the exam in 10 minutes answering everything I immediately knew, leaving all problem questions or q's I didn't immediately know and at that point I was only missing like 15 questions, so knew I was going to pass already.

vincentzou
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vincentzou »

Hi all,

Just wrote the Iatra earlier last week, the exam was IATRA OO8-O3. Nothing complicated in terms of calculations but here are the questions I got wrong. 80% of the questions on the exam were straight from the forums. Used Sharpers ATPL for the grunt of knowledge but had to search some other things up. Sharpers lacked a lot but the bulk of the knowledge is there, also used NIZUS. TLDR for Nizus is that it did not represent the IATRA exam well but it exposes you to charts used in the actual exam. Used someone's summed-up notes in the forums (forgot their name but big thanks to you). If anyone needs the note and such and cant find it I'll be happy to provide it. Thanks again and best of luck to everyone writing this year.

1. Explain how to detect TS using airborne weather radar
2. Recall conditions that cause whiteout
3. Recall flight plan alternate requirements
4. Recall flight duty time regulations for commercial air service

Best advice for this exam is RTFQ^2, saved me a lot of pain. Took around 30 min to run through the exam and another 30 to triple check my answers.

Capnpm
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Capnpm »

vincentzou wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:39 pm Hi all,

Just wrote the Iatra earlier last week, the exam was IATRA OO8-O3. Nothing complicated in terms of calculations but here are the questions I got wrong. 80% of the questions on the exam were straight from the forums. Used Sharpers ATPL for the grunt of knowledge but had to search some other things up. Sharpers lacked a lot but the bulk of the knowledge is there, also used NIZUS. TLDR for Nizus is that it did not represent the IATRA exam well but it exposes you to charts used in the actual exam. Used someone's summed-up notes in the forums (forgot their name but big thanks to you). If anyone needs the note and such and cant find it I'll be happy to provide it. Thanks again and best of luck to everyone writing this year.

Best advice for this exam is RTFQ^2, saved me a lot of pain. Took around 30 min to run through the exam and another 30 to triple check my answers.
Can you send me this note? and would you recommend buying ATPL sharpers edge and Nizus or just using the notes within avcanada?

Pliskin1108
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pliskin1108 »

Hi all,

Wrote my IATRA earlier this week and scored 89%.

I wanted to come here to give a special thanks and shout out to @WhataYoke, @shamrock104, @Calrissian

Everything you wrote down was relevant to the exam and super helpful.

As far as prep I’ve only used nizus. I used them since the beginning of my training and always had good results so I kept with it. I also like their platform and service. Their stuff seemed pretty up to date, the flight/time duty new regs were all there and I even learnt some abbreviations had recently changed (MDT to MOD and SVR to SEV) after contacting their customer service because I thought they made a mistake.

The performance stuff they had was also extremely similar to the exam ones. These were all pretty new to me and I hadn’t seen any in the CPL, so watch out for those little more complicated graphs (although if you go at it logically you can figure out most of them)

Again thanks to everyone that participated in this thread and that keep helping their fellow pilots.

Good luck to the future ones :)

TurningLeftFinal
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TurningLeftFinal »

I'm going to keep this thread going since I also remember most of the questions on my exam. I also used The Wise Pilot for most of my studying/practice questions, along with the ATPL Sharper Edge and the AIM. Overall it was easier than expected, lots of weather + flight operations stuff, with a good amount of systems and nav thrown in. Hardly any air law and ZERO questions on duty times or any of that stuff which was somewhat frustrating given the amount of time I spent studying it.

Here are the questions I remember, wording is far from accurate to the actual exam but the gist is there.

1. What is the purpose of CRM?
2. Calculate TAS
3. Calculate distance + time to Critical Point
4. Calculate %MAC
5. Find Max Takeoff Weight using Accelerate-Go Distance Graph
6. Under what conditions does Rime Ice form?
7. What causes strong weather radar returns?
8. Question on clean aircraft concept
9. Where to start when de-icing? Top of fuselage
10. Weather charts - What to do when flying towards warm front and encounter freezing rain?
11. GFA - Find lowest ceiling in a given area
12. Interpret TAF
13. Define EPR
14. How is prop blade angle controlled in beta range?
15. When does a compressor stall occur?
16. Weather charts - What altitude are fronts at when shown on mid-level Sig Wx Chart?
17. Procedures for comms failure in VMC when IFR
18. Procedures in Class C CZ - maintain listening watch
19. Airspeed limits below 10000'
20. Where can alcohol remain the longest after excessive drinking? Inner ear
21. What is pilot likely to do when overshooting in IMC? Pitch nose down
22. Calculate fuel burn given enroute time + fuel burn rates
23. What does a machmeter do?
24. What happens to altitude information received by ATC when subscale is changed on encoding altimeter?
25. When are non-quick donning oxygen masks required to be worn? Above FL250
26. Dimensions of ADIZ
27. Dimensions of Northern control area
28. What to do after cleared for takeoff immediately after low approach from heavy aircraft? Cancel takeoff request
29. How will altimeter read below standard temps in mountains? True alt less than indicated
30. Weather charts - Given upper winds chart calculate difference between actual temp and ISA
31. Procedure for threshold crossing at higher speed - Touchdown on mains right away, lower nose, max braking
32. What can be expected when 30 kt isotachs are closer than 90nm on 250mb chart? CAT
33. What to do when CAT encountered when crossing Jet Stream with no temperature change? Climb or descend
34. What can RAIM be used for? Can predict satellite geometry for approach
35. Define balanced field length
36. Define V2
37. When can Type II/IV de-icing fluids be used? Above 100kts
38. Weight shift calculation
39. Define LDA
40. When does ETOPS apply? Beyond 60 mins from airport
41. Interpret NOTAM
42. Define critical Mach number
43. What is the purpose of vortex generators? Delays boundary layer separation
44. Define viscous hydroplaning
45. When are wing tip vortices worst? Heavy, clean, and slow
46. Calculate Specific Ground Range for 2 flight levels and pick the one with lower fuel burn
47. With frost on wings due to cold soaking, what is likely to happen after de-icing? Frost will reform

Liya
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Liya »

Hi everyone,

I will have almost a week left to my IATRA exam, I already bought the study guide on harvsair but that one is waaaaay too long to finish! I also got the questions on thewisepilot.com , you guys think would that be enough to just study questions on thewisepilot or I need to study from other websites too? Please help me if you can 🥲 Thanks in advance

femia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by femia »

hi Liya i have mine a the end of the month as well so far i have been using resources on this forum i hope that will help. However i wanted to get the harvs air but it was too expensive. if you dont mind would you be able to share your account with me so i can broading my studies as well. i will be willing to share the resouses i have gotten form here as well.

greezer733
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by greezer733 »

Just passed my IATRA today. Exam was the 008-03. I prepared The exam with the wise pilot question bank and the content that was shared on this forum. Questions that you should expect from what I remember:

1. Class B dimensions
2. SAR/SGR
3. Max speed below 10000’
4. Compute critical point (four engines, they provide endurance and TAS (4 eng/3eng))
5. Principal of turbojet reverse (how it works)
6. What is the purpose of compressor bleed air (choose the one that avoids compr. stall)
7. GNSS approach and overlay
8. Determine MAX TOW using a perf chart
9. Hydroplaning (you have to answer as per characteristic of hydroplaning and tire rotation)
10. ATC procedures when approaching U/C airport (what will happen when ATC clears you)
11. Min altitude on designated mountainous region for ALL planes regardless.
12. Emergency equipment for flight over water no specified if SE or ME
13. Cold temp correction (choices are like assigned altitudes, SID altitudes, missed app)
14. Bottle to throttle
15. Perf graph determine MTOW (very similar to wise pilot)
16. What avoids turboprop going onto reverse in flight (hydromechanical is the keyword)
17. Function of GPS (what is correct)
18. Calculate estimated landing weight with Grossweight, TAS, fuel flow, descent fuel, etc.
19. Determine MAX payload (make sure to use both MZFW and MTOW formula)
20. Decode a TAF be careful
21. Encounter FZRA what to do (clb to warmer air)
22. Find wind direction and intensity from a wx chart (very easy)

This is what I remember guys. I found thewisepilot very useful. I always had difficulties with TC written exams so if I passed this one after few weeks of study (while flying at the same time) you guys can do it and with a better grade! Special thanks to all colleagues in this forum that helped us with information and notes this is what our beautiful community is for, helping each other.

vincentzou
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vincentzou »

Capnpm wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:50 am
vincentzou wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:39 pm Hi all,

Can you send me this note? and would you recommend buying ATPL sharpers edge and Nizus or just using the notes within avcanada?
Hi sorry for the late reply, don't buy SE it's not great. If you still need the notes please DM me.

Return to “Flight Training”