IATRA exam 2019

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

IATRA exam 2019

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

Anyone write the IATRA recently in late 2018/2019? trying to get a feel for the exam. been going through the study guide...any guidance would be appreciated. Can pm
---------- ADS -----------

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: IATRA exam 2019

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

75% meteorology.
Study hard on theory.

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

Relatively easy exam to do. You can use Nizus, I found a lot of questions from Nizus in the exam.

Lot of questions are CPL questions, and a few are "new" material from high level flying and turbines...

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
mjankovic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mjankovic »

I took ATPL/IATRA course in March and studied/refreshing my memory at home.
Got 94%. I know I failed on METAR, which was brutal and I missed viscous hydroplaning.
Overall not too hard, just study and you should be fine

WhataYoke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WhataYoke »

Plenty of previous threads on here about IATRA questions. I wrote the test in April 2019 and the questions that where posted here were very similar to the ones that appeared on the exam.

Some of the Questions I can remember from my exam:
-Calculate Max range (SAR/SGR...)
-Compute Critical point
-Know Wx radar and TS. How to detect (q was about scanning which section of the TS to determine size)
-White out conditions
-Jet engine systems (Reverses, functions of bleed air)
-Tailplane stall symptoms
-Equip to fly over water
-Hydro-mechanical pitch stops (what do they do)
-Use of a phone in flight (I'm assuming they meant cell phone and not sat phone)
-Wx at a cold front/warm front

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?t=72128
http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?t=45221
http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?t=94642
http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?t=32881

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to check in with y'all. Passed the IATRA. Im satisfied with the grade I achieved. I had written it before 2 years ago so this was a bit of a refresher before I write the As...anyhow, the threads on AvCanada are somewhat representative of what I saw on my exam. However, my exam seemed to be updated to 2019 CARs and all that other stuff. I wouldnt say the exam was hard, since I used the study and reference guide, my own class notes and a plethora of material from power points and other stuff. One thing I would say is that I didnt find the NIZUS too helpful. It was okay in refreshing some of the questions and graphs, but I found a lot of the questions misleading, or missing information that was then provided in their answer. But maybe thats just me...unfortunately, their exams werent up to date with any changes to CARS...like bottle to throttle and holding speeds. Anyhow, just wanted to say thank you to those who reached out and helped me a bit! It means a lot!

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:50 pm 75% meteorology.
Study hard on theory.
interesting! the exam i had had maybe 4 questions on met....seemed to be a newer exam...just my opinion. 1 GFA, 1 METAR, 1 JET STREAM, 1 STATIONARY FRONT. rest was mostly cars and gen knowledge relating to cars and about 4 calculations with graphs! Thanks for the input though!

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

Has anyone written it recently? I'm blasting my way through harvs (just the slides unless there is something that is new or I don't recall at all, then I'll watch) and scheduled my test for Friday. Need to get it done and having a deadline helps.

5 And Below
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 5 And Below »

How is the Harvs air Course for IATRA?

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

5 And Below wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:43 pm How is the Harvs air Course for IATRA?
A lot of redundancy from the CPL days, but there is great info on there and sometimes Aaron's explanations make a difference. Because I am trying to get done as efficiently as possible; I am going through each topic quiz and anything I get 80% I go over the presentation slides. 70% or less and I watch. Unless it is obvious new material or believe I still need the extra info/refreshing. But so far so good! Guess I will know how exactly on friday afternoon.

5 And Below
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 5 And Below »

AirDoan wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:37 am
5 And Below wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:43 pm How is the Harvs air Course for IATRA?
A lot of redundancy from the CPL days, but there is great info on there and sometimes Aaron's explanations make a difference. Because I am trying to get done as efficiently as possible; I am going through each topic quiz and anything I get 80% I go over the presentation slides. 70% or less and I watch. Unless it is obvious new material or believe I still need the extra info/refreshing. But so far so good! Guess I will know how exactly on friday afternoon.
Thanks let me know how it goes!

5 And Below
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 5 And Below »

Has anyone used Nizus recently? How are the practice questions compared to the exam?

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

5 And Below wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:06 pm Has anyone used Nizus recently? How are the practice questions compared to the exam?
I'm writing in about an hour as I need to get it done and I am close to where I would like to be. I do feel a little rushed due to outside forces, but I covered about 85% of the Harv's material with high 80s on their practice exams and just looked through the questions here. So fingers crossed. But Nizus I gave up on. One of the first ones I went through I could tell they had not updated much in a long time. For example. A prop holding at 18000, what is the max speed. AIM says 175, including turbo prop. They marked me as wrong and noted 265! There were others that I can't remember right now, but its enough to not trust their system. So we will see how it goes.

5 And Below
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 5 And Below »

AirDoan wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:14 pm
5 And Below wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:06 pm Has anyone used Nizus recently? How are the practice questions compared to the exam?
I'm writing in about an hour as I need to get it done and I am close to where I would like to be. I do feel a little rushed due to outside forces, but I covered about 85% of the Harv's material with high 80s on their practice exams and just looked through the questions here. So fingers crossed. But Nizus I gave up on. One of the first ones I went through I could tell they had not updated much in a long time. For example. A prop holding at 18000, what is the max speed. AIM says 175, including turbo prop. They marked me as wrong and noted 265! There were others that I can't remember right now, but its enough to not trust their system. So we will see how it goes.
Good luck - let me know if you rember anything and how it went!

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

I passed, not with a mark I would have preferred but good with the time to cram I had with no review of INRAT or CPL notes.

The questions on here are pretty close, here are some in no specific order.
How to be an effective captain. Know your V speeds. Specific Range and Critical Point calculations.
Mach stuff like the definition of being transonic.
Know your prognostic charts and GFA.
Metar decoding and comparing to a TAF (that one was tough).
There were 3 questions about hydroplaning. Functions of bleedair and turbine components.
Jetstreams (your cruising near the topopause in the northern hemisphere, temperature is decreasing how do you avoid the CAT).
How do you land a turbojet if above vref at the threshold. Lots on icing. How do you make sure you don't miss something if a check list gets interpreted.
TAS calculations.
Effect of temperature on indicated vs true altitude. There's more I'm not remembering.

As my first instructor told me in PPL ground school. The material is not necessarily difficult, there's just a lot of it.

shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by shamrock104 »

Just wrote this exam and here are a few I remember
1. The operator of an Aircraft is? The person in possession of it.
2.LDA includes- The runway.
3.Dimensions of a ADIZ.
4.Change to flight plan if plus or minus 5 mins on entry to ADIZ will be delayed or more than 20 miles off course.
5.Excessive alcohol consumption, wait 48 hrs as alcohol remains in the Inner ear.
6.CAT question in the Jetstream, headwind /tailwind turn right to avoid, crosswind check OAT guage, descent if decrease, climb if increase.
7.Doing a checklist and you get interrupted, what do you do?
8.Altimete setting, you fail to reset, will you be high or low on arrival.
9.CRM question, fairly straight forward.
10.Clear Ice, high catch rate, large drops.
11.Cold soaked wings, clear ice and flying from a cold temp and landing in warmer conditions, frost will form around fuel tanks.
12.What prevents props from reversing in flight?
13.Know your hydroplaning, three different types.
14.Wake turbulence, whos is responsible?
15.Function of vortex generators.
16.What is definition of EPR?
17.Some weather charts, times of lowest visibility etc etc etc.
18.Floor of Northern Control area/Arctic control area.
19.Balanced field length.
20. Know what a stopway/clearway is.
21.Know the formula to work out Critical Point.
22.How does a tailplane stall occur?
23.What are bleed Air valves?
24.Weight and balance question, what weight needs to be moved etc etc.
25.A question on how much fuel will be required, take your time and include the reserve.
26. Definition of whiteout conditions.
27.Recall deicing procedures.
28.Type 2 and 4 deicing fluids innefective for aircraft having a rotate speed of less than 100 kts.

29. Take off safety speed/V2.

Take your time and spend a little time reviewing and knowing how to use the E6B.

bsghotra
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bsghotra »

hello
i want to write iatra exam...can somebody please share some study material and or online study username and password
@shamrock104
@AirDoan
@Nykw
thanks n regards
raj

Calrissian
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Calrissian »

I remember A LOT of the questions and want to pay it forward as this thread helped me.
1. IATRA gives you the ability to: ANS fly as co-pilot on a two-crew airplane
2. The normal maximum flight duty time in a commercial air service is? ANS: 14 hours?
3. How long do you have to wait to fly after consuming alcohol? ANS: 12 hours (AN EASY ONE, SWEET!)
4. The wind speed on a GFA is show when the wind is? ANS 20 knots or greater
5. Reverted rubber hydroplaning is? ANS: has to do with steam
6. Calculate the time to the critical point. You are given the TAS of normal cruise, the TAS of one engine Inop, your track, the average wind speed/ direction, total distance
7. Compute Specific Ground Range OR Specific Air Range to determine the better cruise altitude.
8. You notice ice is adhering to the wings… ANS: you are not permitted to take off until you know there is no ice, frost or snow adhering to the critical surfaces
9. Do W&B to find centre of gravity… for this you had to find the CG as you normally would but use a chart in the appendix to convert to a MAC%
10. Given a table with a bunch of numbers (never seen this before) find Vr, V1, V2 (seemed pretty straight forward BUT watch the end section when you correct for Slope / Wind it applies to V1 ONLY)
11. The take-off safety speed is… ANS v2
12. A question on APU and what it is for. 5 things listed, the answer was only 3 of the 5 things
13. A chart question (with reference lines and what not) where you figure out the time enroute and weight in KG
14. When does the holdover time begin/end. ANS start of the final application until it fluid is no longer effective
15. When is a metar good for? ANS at the time of issue only.
16. What is a hung start?
17. Fuel requirement for an IFR flight in a propellor driven aircraft. 45 mins and other criteria…
18. TCAS and ACAS: ANS: get their information from interrogating other transponders
19. Decreasing performance wind sheer associated with: ANS tailwind and decrease in Airspeed
20. Air traffic control provides a land and hold short clearance. ANS it is the pilots responsibility to ensure he/she can adhere
21. A question about how to read weather radar (clueless on the answer for this one) the options were a) from the middle down, b) from the middle up c)?? and d) in tilt mode to correct for attenuation … d?
22. A radar altimeter measure ANS your height AGL
23. A question about RAIM
24. ETOPS question Ans: 60 minutes
25. A cockpit voice recorder: ANS : must be on from the moment electrical power is first supplied to the aircraft
26. Given a CFS and asked which PAPI works for a certain airplane based on eye to wheel height. There is 2 runways, one has a P2 and the other an AP.
27. A VOLMET broadcast gives what information: ANS accessed on HF and gives you observations, forecasts, SIGMETs?? Something along those lines
28. Changing your Mach speed by 0.01 you must notify ATC
29. Disadvantage of swept back wing ANS tendency to dutch roll
30. A question about the Jetstream (clueless on this one as it was nothing like the practise questions or material I studied)
31. Transitioning from the Altimeter setting region to the standard pressure region when do you make the change on your altimeter. ANS: immediately after entering the SPR.. ANS immediately after leveling off at your cruise altitude. (this one was a piss off because I was taught “prior to leveling off at your cruise altitude” which wasn’t an option)
32. A VOR/DME receives ANS: Distance information from a TACAN … the other options were distance and azuimth info from a TACAN, distance info ONLY from a VORTAC blah blah…
33. Life rafts must be carried on board IN A TRANSPORT CATEGORY AIRCRAFT Ans: beyond 400nm or 120 minutes cruise which ever is lesser
34. Engine pressure ratio is the: ANS turbine discharge to inlet??
35. Below 3000ft within 10nm of a control zone max airspeed? ANS 200 knots (another easy one, NICE!)
36. The TSB does inspection to: ANS prevent recurrence
37. A tail stall will happen when: ANS a) ONLY in icing b) wings are at a low angle of attack?
38. A pretty straight forward CRM question on an effective captain (don’t select authoritative and one other obvious one)
39. Time of useful consciousness at 30,000 ANS: 45-75 seconds
40. A question about a stationary front. ANS winds flow parallel to the front in opposite directions??
41. Operating in IMC with Passengers on board. ANS you need weather radar on board
42. One engine is kept running during a quick turnaround in icing conditions because it is not possible to restart it with existing internal or external power. When taxiing for takeoff, a significant amount of wet snow on the aircraft is discovered. Operating instructions require both engines to be shut down for de-icing, a pilot should: ANS: Cancel the flight until proper equipment is available or necessary repairs made
43. And last but not least, the biggest piss off of them all!!! You are flying an eastbound 2 hour VFR flight, what’s your highest cruise altitude without needing oxygen on board?.... BRUTAL because they don’t specify how long you will be on the ‘cruise portion’ of your flight. Above 10,000 for more than 30 minutes, you need oxygen on board, obviously, ANS: a) 9500, b) 11500, c) 13000 d) 13500 …. Couldn’t you make the argument that you can go to 11,500 or even 13,000 as long as it’s less than 30 minutes?? But I don’t THINK that’s what they were asking. I am ASSUMING since they say it is a 2 hour flight, you will be in the cruise portion for more than 30 mins. I chose A….

Tips: The Wise Pilot practice questions were excellent. And only $15 for 750 questions! They reference the AIM/CARS. Highly useful stuff. They give you an explanation / formulas/ show you how to draw out the graphs etc. I used that in combination with the sharper edge ATPL. Also, the TC IATRA study guide to see exactly what questions they ask on the CARS.

luk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by luk »

Hi all,

Passed my Iatra today, to me it was a fair and relatively easy and the threads are extremely helpful, thanks for all! Indeed on the last post somebody recommended Wise pilot website and it is a great platform to practice with explanations nicely done!
I also had Nizus website which was also good!

Good luck for everyone!

Cruze_Pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cruze_Pilot »

I write tomorrow. My study material included Nizus practice exams, 2023 ATPL Sharpers edge, some areas of reference on here and in person help from some friends. I'll let you know how it goes and if any materials have changed.

Cheers!

Return to “Flight Training”