New TC Cannabis rules

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

L39Guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: New TC Cannabis rules

Post by L39Guy »

RatherBeFlying wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:16 pm Some decades old simulator studies showed impaired performance 24 hours after consuming an entire joint, supplied from a US government source. Missing are results for 48, 72, 96 hours. I suspect that normal piloting performance would be restored in a fraction of 28 days.
The issue is the THC residing in fat cells for up to 28 days then being released during periods of stress, just when you do not want to be getting high.
---------- ADS -----------

AZ382
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AZ382 »

What you are referring to is 11-nor-9-carboxy-Δ⁹-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC-COOH). This is a non psychoactive metabolite that is lipid soluble. When stressed your body does not turn this back into the psychoactive THC which got you high in the first place. The THC-COOH is what drug testing looks for solely because it stays in your system longer than the THC which is broken down much quicker. It gives confirmation of past use, not impairment.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

AZ382 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:23 am What you are referring to is 11-nor-9-carboxy-Δ⁹-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC-COOH). This is a non psychoactive metabolite that is lipid soluble. When stressed your body does not turn this back into the psychoactive THC which got you high in the first place. The THC-COOH is what drug testing looks for solely because it stays in your system longer than the THC which is broken down much quicker. It gives confirmation of past use, not impairment.
Get out of here with your factual information. This post is about fear and pitchforks, we need demons to focus our rage on so we don't look inward at our own misgivings.

It's been over a year now since Canadian legalization with no adverse effects.

stillflying
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stillflying »

It sucks. We can't smoke weed. But at the end of the day, for 99% of us, it's not worth pushing it. You career is worth significantly more than getting high. If you really hate life and want to drown your sorrows, you can always drink. If that's not enough, you might as well go for coke and whatever else people are doing today.

Izamarfeat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Izamarfeat »

I don't understand why cannabis is considered more dangerous than, for example, tobacco smoke or alcohol. I believe that cannabis harms the body much less than beer and sometimes helps the body. For example, I use chewing gum with cannabis to calm down during stressful situations and concentrate my attention when preparing for exams. And I don't understand why marijuana is still banned in some states, even for medical purposes, although doctors have long proven the beneficial properties of marijuana for some patients.

Last edited by Izamarfeat on Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

Izamarfeat wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:36 pm I don't understand why cannabis is considered more dangerous than, for example, tobacco smoke or alcohol.
It’s not the danger but the difficulty in testing. I don’t feel it’s fair though

ICUP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ICUP »

Mainstream consumption of cannabis is relatively new, and like anything in aviation, regulators take their precautions and time to catch up. The current 28 days policy (which includes CBD) is just a very comfortable liability cushion.

Return to “General Comments”