Working on a C registered aircraft in the states

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Working on a C registered aircraft in the states

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

username here wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:04 pm My thread has actually started some good conversation. I don't come here as often as I used too.

I feel like most people are thinking that I want to live down in the states and work on a C reg aircraft (maybe it has a contract down there of sorts). That's not what I'm getting at. I'm curious if my C reg aircraft flies to an American airport and breaks down. Say I try to find an A&P down there to work on it, but due to MIP TCCA supplement issues (most shops don't care to jump through the hoops to get a MIP), they are unable to release the aircraft and there may not be anyone else in a reasonable distance.

Are there any rules preventing me from jumping on a commercial flight down there and fixing/releasing my own aircraft? I would be truthful with the border agents of course, that's not worth lying to them and risk further issues down the line.
PS

You can’t just swoop in and sign off the work without being there for the entirety of the maintenance, that’s another thing people think they can do while the cars and standards are pretty cut and dry on the subject under CAR 571.11(6).
---------- ADS -----------

username here
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by username here »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:46 pm
username here wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:04 pm My thread has actually started some good conversation. I don't come here as often as I used too.

I feel like most people are thinking that I want to live down in the states and work on a C reg aircraft (maybe it has a contract down there of sorts). That's not what I'm getting at. I'm curious if my C reg aircraft flies to an American airport and breaks down. Say I try to find an A&P down there to work on it, but due to MIP TCCA supplement issues (most shops don't care to jump through the hoops to get a MIP), they are unable to release the aircraft and there may not be anyone else in a reasonable distance.

Are there any rules preventing me from jumping on a commercial flight down there and fixing/releasing my own aircraft? I would be truthful with the border agents of course, that's not worth lying to them and risk further issues down the line.
PS

You can’t just swoop in and sign off the work without being there for the entirety of the maintenance, that’s another thing people think they can do while the cars and standards are pretty cut and dry on the subject under CAR 571.11(6).
Thank you, that's what I was thinking and what we have done in the past. It's not a current issue, more so a long standing question. And yes I agree you need to witness the entirety of the work to properly release it.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

username here wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:35 pm

PS

Thank you, that's what I was thinking and what we have done in the past. It's not a current issue, more so a long standing question. And yes I agree you need to witness the entirety of the work to properly release it.
I’m glad you acknowledge that, it’s not something to take lightly with yourself or anyone else.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Your question was simple enough, you can’t legally work in the states without a visa, that’s the short and sweet of it. You mentioned earlier in this thread you travelled down with your pelican case and tools several times. Were they with you or did you ship them separately?
What did you end up doing for the duration of this mystery aircraft’s work in the states?

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:44 pm

We all read the thread and I don’t think anyone interpreted your original question that way. You CANNOT work on the aircraft but you may release it. That said;

CAR 571.11 (1) Except as provided in subsections (2) and (7), no person other than the holder of an aircraft maintenance engineer (AME) licence issued under Part IV, specifying a rating appropriate to the aeronautical product being maintained, shall sign a maintenance release as required by section 571.10.

(6) If a maintenance release is signed by a person in respect of work performed by another person, the person signing the maintenance release must personally observe the work to the extent necessary to ensure that it is performed in accordance with the requirements of any applicable standards of airworthiness and, specifically, the requirements of sections 571.02 and 571.10.

Ergo, you can have a local AME do the work or someone similarly skilled under your DIRECT supervision. The visas issued at the border are generally B1-B2 which only allows you to be on American soil in a business capacity.

What kind of aircraft we talking about here anyways? Why is it such a struggle to find someone with experience on a corporate aircraft?
+1 and I agree there’s a ton of support states side, this came down to saving penny’s I’m sure. This topic really gets under my skin it’s just so stupid!

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

I wonder what kind of aircraft the OP had that they needed to go down themselves? Rare bird?

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

username here wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:35 pm

PS

What kind of aircraft is this?

Return to “Maintenance”