Life Insurance advice

This forum is for all you story tellers to have a place to tell us your adventures like Duke Elegant once did.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Life Insurance advice

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

So I suppose this might not exactly match the forum's description, but I can't find a better place for it, and it does seem like a "fireside chat". Mods, please move this to a more appropriate forum if you see fit.

I've decided to become a pilot, professionally, at the age of 40. The one dealbreaker condition the missus has imposed on me is life insurance - as in, I must have it. I'm planning on going the bush pilot route, quite possibly as a permanent career, and let's be honest, a low time bush pilot is not exactly the safest occupation on Earth - she has a point.

We spoke with our financial advisor recently, and one pearl of advice he gave us was "get life insurance before you become a pilot - they can't revoke it afterwards". (If anyone needs a good advisor in Brampton, I can recommend one.)

Having never been life insured but having a general idea of how various forms of life insurance work, I'm asking for general experiences and advice on getting life insurance, bearing in mind that I'm not licensed yet, but will be soon enough. Should I commit to something now, before getting a PPL/CPL, or should I work with specialized pilot insurers? Do life insurance rates go up after becoming a pilot? What difference does it make between whole, or universal, or term insurance? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thank you any and all for your insights.
---------- ADS -----------

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Life Insurance advice

Post by photofly »

The smoking and drinking that you mentioned in another thread are going to load your insurance premiums way beyond any choice of occupation.

As a regualr smoker you’re about a billion times more like to die from cancer, and as a drinker, from liver disease, then you are to stub your toe in an airplane.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Life Insurance advice

Post by ahramin »

You will absolutely want to get the life insurance now, but make sure that it will cover you for your intended career path in the future. Many life insurance policies have exclusions for high risk activities.

Return to “Around the Camp Fire”