Page 1 of 1
Gifts from students
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:59 pm
by MRO
So far I have gotten a tie clip, card, 6 pack, flashlight, one of the other guys got some wine.
What have your studnets bought you
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:27 pm
by Hotel Tango
a whole lot of headaches
Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:11 am
by Shtinky
Entire collection of 2 different seasons of the Simpsons on DVD and...
... a cheque for $200.00 which by the way I didn't cash but framed it
instead.

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:21 pm
by cyyz
Shtinky wrote: a cheque for $200.00 which by the way I didn't cash but framed it
instead.

Cause you pay the 25$ when it goes NSF...
Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:09 pm
by Shtinky
cyyz wrote:Shtinky wrote: a cheque for $200.00 which by the way I didn't cash but framed it
instead.

Cause you pay the 25$ when it goes NSF...
Zzzzzzing!
Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:58 am
by just clearing the trees
He he he, I'm not even touching this topic.

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:21 pm
by Right Seat Captain
I know an instructor who got a Bose Headset worth $1200.
Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:04 pm
by water wings
Right Seat Captain wrote:I know an instructor who got a Bose Headset worth $1200.

jimminey cricket!! what were
they teaching?!!!
uh oh... i smell a can of worms...
Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:57 pm
by hazatude
I know an instructor that got $2500 cash upon the completion of their PPL!
Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:23 pm
by Shtinky
I also received $40 from one of my passengers after a scenic flight. I bought the real Kraft Dinner that week.

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:32 pm
by Doc
Had a cute student at WWFC take me out for dinner many years ago. And the gifts kept cumming!
Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:27 pm
by water wings
Doc wrote:Had a cute student at WWFC take me out for dinner many years ago. And the gifts kept cumming!
is that how you met Birdog? bwah ha ha!! .. oh wait.. you said "cute"
sorry ... drinking ... or should be

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:10 pm
by Doc
Cheers, WW!
Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:01 pm
by wha happen
trip to florida, including booze and dancing ladies.

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:00 pm
by Justwannafly
From students...best I got was..."thankyou"
but then I havn't been at it that long...as for passengers...$20 US
Gifts from students
Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:13 pm
by Raven20000
New Ray Bans
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:24 am
by Pitts99
Wine, money (Total 500$), Aviation Books, Airplane model, a lot of sincere thank you and most important; a lot of new good friends.
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:04 pm
by Luscombe
I got a special reserve 16yr old Glenfiddich.... only the good die young.
Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:42 pm
by LostinRotation
A Free hour in the twin, lots of wine, A bottle of Crown, a bottle of Oban single malt, two flying vids on the Arrow, Christmas ornaments, about $100 and an iPod nano.
The funny part is it's the mothers giving me the liquor for keeping their kids safe ! ?
Best gift though is a safe student....no bullshit.
-=0=LIR=0=-
Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:03 pm
by chipmunk
Wine, a big bottle of Baileys, $100 gift certificate at Sunglasses Hut, homemade sausage, Tim Horton's gift certificates, a fancy Jepp kneeboard, a beautiful wooden DHC6 model...
...and....
...a day of race driving lessons in a student's custom Porsche 934 at the track!
Hmmm... maybe time to go back to instructing...
Funny though, gifts seemed to come only from the students who were really enjoyable to teach...
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:57 am
by Hedley
I can't believe no one has mentioned the best gift you can get from a student (and it's free) ... their sister's phone number
On that note, I know of a very experienced flight instructor that confided in me, after I had got to know him, that he had slept with every female student he ever instructed. He went on to become a Transport Canada Civil Aviation Inspector, then went to NavCan.
What a guy. He had 6 ex-wives. I am not making this up. When he turned 50, 3 of his ex-wives (either 1, 3 and 5, or 2, 4 and 6, I don't remember) threw him a nice birthday party. I found it interesting that adjacent ex-wives didn't get along, but alternate ones did.
You just can't make this stuff up.
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:23 pm
by Edo
damm you guys are cleaning up. Even flying floats for lodges i dont get that in tips.
what about the lucky bastad that got to teach Angelina in her cirrus. man id be tempted there
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:08 pm
by TTJJ
I only had two presents. True stories.
A student of mine in Calgary in 1984 gave me a present once. She way a very shy girl, so she had a Public Health Nurse call and tell me about it.....
A student in St. Andrews, Winnipeg, gave me the best present yet. She was 15 years my senior and convinced her 22 year old instructor to move away from home and see the world.
Ahhh, her phone call to me that Monday afternoon, telling me that her husband had found out about our..er...technical debriefing sessions, and that he was driving into town to talk to me with his 12 gauge.
Not one to waste good advice, I left Winnipeg that same night by car and arrived in Calgary the next day, Tuesday.
By Wednesday, I was employed in Springbank.
I loved instructing. Shame that it pays so poorly.
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:39 pm
by mikegtzg
I have fed my flight instructors with countless restaurant meals over the years. (best way to get them out of bed in the morning for an early lesson is offering to buy them breakfast) Usually pick up the cheque if we have gone for beers. This also includes the fuel guy when he/she has joined us. Even buy lunch fairly regularily for a flight instructor that I haven't flown with for 3 years. (and glad too...they taught me to fly!)
I've also offered them all a unique experience & logbook entry. I have an open cockpit antique taildragger. And I've offered every flight instructor the opportunity to fly it for free. Only one ever took me up on the offer. Most said they didn't have tailwheel time and weren't comfortable with doing so. My answer being if they taught a scmuck like me enough to fly it, they should be able to.
Now I feel like a cheapskate and will have to buy each of them a bottle of scotch to make amends.
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:24 pm
by goldeneagle
TJ wrote:
I only had two presents. True stories.
Oh man, I needed to change the underwear after reading that, peed myself I laffed so hard. Keep the 'true stories' coming TJ, they are great. I think we'd have a grand old time sitting down in a bar, telling lies about flying round engines in scary places...