Any updates on training?

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Any updates on training?

Post by kevenv »

Kstander30 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:14 pm
Do you know if QM ACC is inviting people for interviews yet? I passed the FEAST and just wondering if I’m not making the cut this time around.
Can't help you there. Sorry.
---------- ADS -----------

Teenth
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Teenth »

I was told training started late may but take that with a grain of salt because everyone else has said September.

I am not moving forward after the interview. I must have bombed it spectacularly but I admit I didn't prepare as I have something different going on in my life now. With this closure I can fully commit to my current path.

Good luck to everyone on your journey.

Kstander30
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kstander30 »

Teenth wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:15 am I was told training started late may but take that with a grain of salt because everyone else has said September.

I am not moving forward after the interview. I must have bombed it spectacularly but I admit I didn't prepare as I have something different going on in my life now. With this closure I can fully commit to my current path.

If you don’t mind me asking where and when did you interview? Did you recently write the FEAST and did your interview right after? Thanks !

vultajolma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vultajolma »

Teenth wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:15 am I was told training started late may but take that with a grain of salt because everyone else has said September.

I think the only reason we all think its in fall is because the amount of time needed between assessments, also the medical exam takes a minimum 1 month to get approved.

Maybe all those who have passed have gotten the offers already and the rest of us are left in the pool just in case.

Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 000 »

vultajolma wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:08 am Wont reveal much but the interview does not replace the boot camp completely. If you pass the interview stage there is another half day event at your local ACC, if you pass that you may get an offer.

From what I can tell, the start dates would be in the fall, but wasnt confirmed in my interview. I assume they will need a few weeks between interviews, half day boot camp, and the final offer for training.

Interviews for YYZ region ended last week, hopefully we can hear back soon.

Also - my status on Workday is also Interview, few weeks after I did my interview.
Curious, you're saying you did your interview in March 2022 with the course expected to start in September 2022. On the other hand, I just did my FEAST this April and thought that interviews would be in May to start the course in September as well. Is it more likely that the course for my "cohort" would start in January 2023 or later since we're a step behind you? Is it also normal for them to be doing interviews and then more FEAST assessments just 1 month later or could this be an exception as they try to ramp up training following the pandemic?

Last edited by 000 on Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
vultajolma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vultajolma »

000 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:20 am
vultajolma wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:08 am Wont reveal much but the interview does not replace the boot camp completely. If you pass the interview stage there is another half day event at your local ACC, if you pass that you may get an offer.

From what I can tell, the start dates would be in the fall, but wasnt confirmed in my interview. I assume they will need a few weeks between interviews, half day boot camp, and the final offer for training.

Also - my status on Workday is also Interview, few weeks after I did my interview.
Curious, you're saying you did your interview in March 2022 with the course expected to start in September 2022. On the other hand, I just did my FEAST this April and thought that interviews would be in May to start the course in September as well. Is it more likely that the course for my "cohort" would start in January 2023 or later since we're a step behind you? Is it also normal for them to be doing interviews and then more FEAST assessments just 1 month later or could this be an exception as they try to ramp up training following the pandemic?
I wasnt told directly what the start dates would be, just speculation based on how long they need between assessments, offers and the drug/security test and medical exams. May start dates for myself and others in the same situation would be virtually impossible given the fact I havent even done the half day bootcamp unless they skip it.

Were you told you would have interviews in May? When I did mine in March, they told me I would find out in April if I passed but sk1996 told us that now YYZ interviews are going to end of April so you might be able to get into that cohort.

When I did my FEAST in Feb 2020, they took 3-4 weeks for the results to come out that I passed, if it wasnt for COVID we would have automatically jumped into the full day bootcamp they had in the past, now its a separate interview and half day bootcamp process. You should check out the YYZ 2020 thread on here for the timeline before COVID for a better idea.

Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 000 »

vultajolma wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:14 pm
000 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:20 am

I wasnt told directly what the start dates would be, just speculation based on how long they need between assessments, offers and the drug/security test and medical exams. May start dates for myself and others in the same situation would be virtually impossible given the fact I havent even done the half day bootcamp unless they skip it.

Were you told you would have interviews in May? When I did mine in March, they told me I would find out in April if I passed but sk1996 told us that now YYZ interviews are going to end of April so you might be able to get into that cohort.

When I did my FEAST in Feb 2020, they took 3-4 weeks for the results to come out that I passed, if it wasnt for COVID we would have automatically jumped into the full day bootcamp they had in the past, now its a separate interview and half day bootcamp process. You should check out the YYZ 2020 thread on here for the timeline before COVID for a better idea.
I was speaking with the test administrator after my FEAST who I think was an HR rep, and while I don't recall if they mentioned when interviews would be, they definitely told me that we would hear back in 2-3 weeks. This would bring us into early May, suggesting that interviews could be held in late May/early June (I don't think we would make it for end of April with your group), followed by bootcap in July-ish. Based on this, I thought the course could start in September but now to think of it, with the additional medical assessment that would likely be tight. Hence, I feel like my group who did FEAST this month in April would have courses in January 2023 instead. But, I don't really know either tbh

vultajolma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vultajolma »

000 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:51 pm I was speaking with the test administrator after my FEAST who I think was an HR rep, and while I don't recall if they mentioned when interviews would be, they definitely told me that we would hear back in 2-3 weeks. This would bring us into early May, suggesting that interviews could be held in late May/early June (I don't think we would make it for end of April with your group), followed by bootcap in July-ish. Based on this, I thought the course could start in September but now to think of it, with the additional medical assessment that would likely be tight. Hence, I feel like my group who did FEAST this month in April would have courses in January 2023 instead. But, I don't really know either tbh
Yeah the timining would be really tight. I think even for my group bootcamp would be late Mayish and offers going out in June, giving plenty of time to prep for a fall start date but honestly ours could be in 2023. It seems like NAVCAN wants to get training rolling again with all the testing they have been doing across all FIRs so hopefully we hear back soon.

On a side note, I have been told results for the interviews in my group are going out now so hopefully I will have a better idea of timeline relatively soon.

stabilizedapproach
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by stabilizedapproach »

vultajolma wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:28 am It seems like NAVCAN wants to get training rolling again with all the testing they have been doing across all FIRs so hopefully we hear back soon.
They do, and most - if not all - units across the country desperately need bodies in seats to account for retirements and just general short staffing. Starting up testing to create a pool seems easy enough. Starting a basic course also seems relatively easy to me; I’ve seen them run back to back before.

The issue is that, while the company is raring to go, there is only so much capacity to train at a unit. How many trainees you can take off the street is severely constricted by how many instructors are left available to train.

It’s an ironic circular argument. If you want to increase staff, you first need to have staff (instructors) to let that happen.

vultajolma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vultajolma »

stabilizedapproach wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:34 am
vultajolma wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:28 am It seems like NAVCAN wants to get training rolling again with all the testing they have been doing across all FIRs so hopefully we hear back soon.
They do, and most - if not all - units across the country desperately need bodies in seats to account for retirements and just general short staffing. Starting up testing to create a pool seems easy enough. Starting a basic course also seems relatively easy to me; I’ve seen them run back to back before.

The issue is that, while the company is raring to go, there is only so much capacity to train at a unit. How many trainees you can take off the street is severely constricted by how many instructors are left available to train.

It’s an ironic circular argument. If you want to increase staff, you first need to have staff (instructors) to let that happen.
Makes sense, traffic is picking up and I bet by 2024 we will be close to pre-covid numbers.

For others, I received an email saying I achieved the minimum passing grade for my interview and may be considered for further testing, not sure if this is a pass or fail but its the same email I got after FEAST. Anyone get an invite for the bootcamp in the YYZ region?

Anomander
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Anomander »

vultajolma wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:03 pm

Makes sense, traffic is picking up and I bet by 2024 we will be close to pre-covid numbers.

For others, I received an email saying I achieved the minimum passing grade for my interview and may be considered for further testing, not sure if this is a pass or fail but its the same email I got after FEAST. Anyone get an invite for the bootcamp in the YYZ region?
It's a pass bud, congrats. Means you've made it into the "next" step of the Candidate pool; Bootcamp in this particular case. You can be contacted for it until your application is no longer valid and expires. How fast you can be contacted if at all is entirely dependent on your ranking in that pool which is never disclosed.

sk1996
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sk1996 »

Anomander wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:16 am
vultajolma wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:03 pm

It's a pass bud, congrats. Means you've made it into the "next" step of the Candidate pool; Bootcamp in this particular case. You can be contacted for it until your application is no longer valid and expires. How fast you can be contacted if at all is entirely dependent on your ranking in that pool which is never disclosed.
Next step is actually the interview I beleive then the half day boot camp then training.

vultajolma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vultajolma »

sk1996 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:52 am Next step is actually the interview I beleive then the half day boot camp then training.
I think he was referring to the boot camp since I mentioned I passed the interview stage, tho my status on Workday is still "Interview"

Hope you get your results soon too bud.
Anomander wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:16 am It's a pass bud, congrats. Means you've made it into the "next" step of the Candidate pool; Bootcamp in this particular case. You can be contacted for it until your application is no longer valid and expires. How fast you can be contacted if at all is entirely dependent on your ranking in that pool which is never disclosed.
Thanks, hopefully I can get a bootcamp invite soon so I can finally determine if I want to do this or not.

sk1996
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sk1996 »

vultajolma wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:13 pm
sk1996 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:52 am Next step is actually the interview I beleive then the half day boot camp then training.
I think he was referring to the boot camp since I mentioned I passed the interview stage, tho my status on Workday is still "Interview"

Hope you get your results soon too bud.
Anomander wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:16 am It's a pass bud, congrats. Means you've made it into the "next" step of the Candidate pool; Bootcamp in this particular case. You can be contacted for it until your application is no longer valid and expires. How fast you can be contacted if at all is entirely dependent on your ranking in that pool which is never disclosed.
Thanks, hopefully I can get a bootcamp invite soon so I can finally determine if I want to do this or not.

Oh I completely misunderstood. Didn't realize there was a "passing grade" for the interview. This was in YYZ right? Mind if I ask when your interview was? Mine was about 2 weeks ago they said we shoud hear back around the end of the month.

vultajolma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vultajolma »

sk1996 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:14 am Oh I completely misunderstood. Didn't realize there was a "passing grade" for the interview. This was in YYZ right? Mind if I ask when your interview was? Mine was about 2 weeks ago they said we shoud hear back around the end of the month.
There is passing grade for the entire hiring process, even after the bootcamp like Anomander stated we end up in a pool and the top scores get an offer and the rest remain in the pool unti our application expires. Then of course training has a passing mark as well.

I did my interviews in mid March, seems like bootcamp invites will come in May as expected.

Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 000 »

vultajolma wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:00 pm
sk1996 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:14 am Oh I completely misunderstood. Didn't realize there was a "passing grade" for the interview. This was in YYZ right? Mind if I ask when your interview was? Mine was about 2 weeks ago they said we shoud hear back around the end of the month.
There is passing grade for the entire hiring process, even after the bootcamp like Anomander stated we end up in a pool and the top scores get an offer and the rest remain in the pool unti our application expires. Then of course training has a passing mark as well.

I did my interviews in mid March, seems like bootcamp invites will come in May as expected.
Do you think that the scores are cumulative or just looked at each individual step? For example, say you did fantastic on the online test, good enough on FEAST, and were mid-pack on the interview. Do you think they would rank you for the boot camp invite based on all scores combined or just the interview score at that point?

sk1996
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sk1996 »

000 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:13 pm

Do you think that the scores are cumulative or just looked at each individual step? For example, say you did fantastic on the online test, good enough on FEAST, and were mid-pack on the interview. Do you think they would rank you for the boot camp invite based on all scores combined or just the interview score at that point?
It's individual I'm pretty sure

Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 000 »

sk1996 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:36 pm

I thought so too, but when they offer you a course in FSS vs VFR vs IFR, it's based on how likely they think you are to succeed in training. For this reason, wouldn't assessing FEAST scores be more predictive than interviews for offers, even though you would have done interviews and boot camp most recently? That's why I think it might be cumulative, or at least if you pass the interview, they would look back at your previous scores before offering a course. Just my thoughts on the system.

Aguaymanto
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aguaymanto »

000 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:29 pm
sk1996 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:36 pm

I thought so too, but when they offer you a course in FSS vs VFR vs IFR, it's based on how likely they think you are to succeed in training. For this reason, wouldn't assessing FEAST scores be more predictive than interviews for offers, even though you would have done interviews and boot camp most recently? That's why I think it might be cumulative, or at least if you pass the interview, they would look back at your previous scores before offering a course. Just my thoughts on the system.
No idea, but this makes more sense to me. Maybe each round is separate as you progress, but when deciding training spots they use the cumulative results. Seems logical to me anyway.

sk1996
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sk1996 »

Do you recall if they said that they would let you know if you didn't pass the interview portion as well. Or will you only be contacted if you pass

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”