Morningstar

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ted_stryker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Morningstar

Post by ted_stryker »

I was curious if morningstar has a commuting policy or if would even be feasible to commute with them. Also wondering how senior the Montreal ATR is. Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Morningstar

Post by Launchpad1 »

Not unless things have changed in the last few months. Seem like a great company but unfortunately no way to commute.

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

I can't speak for the seniority of the Mirabel base but I can tell you that we definitely have guys that commute on the Boeing side. We have a few guys who live in Alberta but are based in YYZ. It's doable. On the Boeing side at least.

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

I have a few questions for current employees. When did Morningstar move their ATR to YYC? Is this new? Are they moving Boeing flying to the ATR or picked up new routes for it? Also, are they moving the YMX airplane out west, or picked up another one? Lastly, what is the current pay scale on the ATR as well as the Boeing?

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Just let me know when your CV pile goes below 5000, and I will send another one.

ted_stryker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ted_stryker »

Thanks for all the replies!

viccoastdog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by viccoastdog »

MrTurbine wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:19 pm I have a few questions for current employees. When did Morningstar move their ATR to YYC? Is this new? Are they moving Boeing flying to the ATR or picked up new routes for it? Also, are they moving the YMX airplane out west, or picked up another one? Lastly, what is the current pay scale on the ATR as well as the Boeing?
YMX plane isn't moving. YYC is a new base with new-to-fleet ATRs (there's going to be more than one).

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

viccoastdog wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:35 am
MrTurbine wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:19 pm I have a few questions for current employees. When did Morningstar move their ATR to YYC? Is this new? Are they moving Boeing flying to the ATR or picked up new routes for it? Also, are they moving the YMX airplane out west, or picked up another one? Lastly, what is the current pay scale on the ATR as well as the Boeing?
YMX plane isn't moving. YYC is a new base with new-to-fleet ATRs (there's going to be more than one).
Taking the work from Carson and his metros? That’d be nice.

fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fixnfly »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:41 am
viccoastdog wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:35 am
Taking the work from Carson and his metros? That’d be nice.
That’s the rumour I’ve heard as well. Hopefully that’s not the case but those metros are getting up there in age. The maintenance at Carson and Morningstar in YYC are top notch. Atrs might make more sense for the routes though, to increase capacity and allow for more growth. Maybe Fedex will want to redeploy carsons metros to new destinations. I’ve heard Fedex is quite pleased with Carson and morningstars operations here in Canada

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

you can't commute as you're on call incase the other crew calls in sick. Its only for an hour a day but there is no way you can commute for that. I feel sorry for HR there. They probably have recived 3000 resumes since this was posted. how do you pick out the candidate when literally everyone will be qualified?

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

leftoftrack wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:29 pm I feel sorry for HR there. They probably have recived 3000 resumes since this was posted. how do you pick out the candidate when literally everyone will be qualified?
I'll go out on a limb and bet that most hires will have an internal reference. I'm sure that just about everyone who has any sort of connection to Morningstar flight ops has been called by someone they know who is out of work. I wouldn't be surprised if HR doesn't need to look too hard.
It's a small industry.

fur1ough
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fur1ough »

Then why post an advert?

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Ummm, so that people know that there are job openings to apply for? Seems pretty elementary.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

It is difficult as a business, because half the people in your long list will not be interested, for whatever reason, and some won't actually be any good. There is so much more to a good employee than hours, and you don't know unless you slog through the pile. God, they must have a lot though, right now. I know I would love to work there.

fur1ough
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fur1ough »

I'm sure they're sifting through hundreds.

I'd hate to be a mid time (1000-1500ish) FO with no PIC experience these days. Going to be hard to compete with all the 4000+ hour 705 Captains looking for work. Looking back, maybe all that MPIC time I slogged to get might actually come in handy now.

I for one applied for the ATR Captain gig like I'm sure many others did, I don't anticipate a reply unless I have a horseshoe up my ass.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

But if you don't apply, you KNOW you won't get the job. You can't give up; you might be just the guy for them.

Bleed Air
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bleed Air »

Or the 10,000hr+ expats coming back from various overseas locations out of work without access to EI or any of the other programs that need a paycheck.

igorcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by igorcanuck »

Did anyone get a call?

Freeport_Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Freeport_Flyer »

I expect it will take quite a while to sort through the resumes of so many qualified pilots.

YXDPilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YXDPilot »

Got a call last week. Interviewing tomorrow. Anyone know anything about their process? Couldn't find much online.

Return to “Employment Forum”