Forgot to Extend the Gear Thread

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Forgot to Extend the Gear Thread

Post by pelmet »

Unfortunately, It happened again....

C-GXMJ, a privately registered Aeromot AMT-200 motor glider with only the pilot on board was on
final approach to runway 13/31 at the Regina International airport (CYQR), Sk. The aircraft landed
with the landing gear retracted and came to a rest in an upright position on the center of the
runway. The pilot was not injured and the aircraft sustained substantial damage. It was reported
that the landing gear was not selected down prior to landing.
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Forgot to Extend the Gear Thread

Post by pelmet »

This just shows that it can happen to a professional two crew aircraft under normal circumstances........

C-FWAF, a Pilatus PC-12/45 operated by Wasaya Airways, was conducting flight WSG5514 from
Sioux Lookout (CYXL), ON to Thunder Bay (CYQT), ON with only the 2 pilots on board. On short
final for Runway 12 at CYQT, the pilot flying retarded the power lever for landing and the gear
warning horn subsequently sounded as the gear had not been selected to the extended position. A
missed approach was safely conducted, the aircraft joined a VFR circuit, and an uneventful landing
was conducted.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

At least the gear warning system worked, unlike this event: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pakistan_ ... light_8303

"...the landing gear was inexplicably retracted by the time it came to 5 nautical miles from the runway. It eventually attempted to land without the landing gear extended."

"Before the first landing attempt (according to the CVR and FDR), multiple alerts including the over speed and gear unsafe warning, as well as ground proximity warning system (GPWS) all sounded, but were either missed or disregarded"

Bavros
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bavros »

On Sept 6th

A Waterloo-Wellington Flying Club Piper PA-28R-201 (C-FFTU), on a round robin flight plan from Kitchener/Waterloo, ON (CYKF) to Peterborough, ON (CYPQ) to Kitchener/Waterloo, ON (CYKF), landed with its landing gear up at CYPQ. There was 1 soul on board (SOB), uninjured. Substantial aircraft damage. Due to the location of the disabled aircraft, both runways were closed until the aircraft could be removed.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

CCGUMPS

GUMPS

BUMFFS

SF3G

Pick one they all work :)

Bavros
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bavros »

Ignoring the gear horn doesn't help either.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

C-GGXF, a privately registered Rockwell Commander 112A, was conducting circuits at Burlington
Executive Airport, Otario (CZBA) with only the pilot on board. While on final approach for landing
on Runway 14, the pilot did not extend the landing gear and performed an unintentional gear-up
landing. The aircraft came to a stop slightly off the right edge of the runway. There were no injuries
or fire. The aircraft sustained damage to the fuselage and propeller.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

An American, corporately registered Aero Vodochody L39C (N88EA/SA44+1) from London, ON (CYXU) to London, ON (CYXU) landed "gear up" on Runway 33. SA44 was the first aircraft in a formation of two L39C aircraft. The second aircraft, an ITPS (Canada) Ltd. Aero Vodochody L39C (C-GFNY/SA43) from London, ON (CYXU) to London, ON (CYXU) landed and stopped on the runway short of the first aircraft. As a result, Runway 15/33 was closed by NOTAM. No other impact on operations.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

On 22 May 2021, a privately registered Lake LA-250 Renegade amphibious aircraft, (registration C-FMCC), was operating on a daytime local VFR flight from Muskoka Airport, Ontario (CYQA) to Bancroft Community Airport, Ontario (CNW3) with one pilot and two passengers onboard. After a water takeoff from a nearby lake, the aircraft landed on the gravel Runway 30 at CNW3 with the landing gear retracted. The aircraft came to rest on the centerline of the runway 350’ from the threshold. There were no injuries and minimal damage to the hull. With the help of several local volunteers, the aircraft was raised, one side at a time, to allow the landing gear to be manually lowered and locked in place. The aircraft then departed for the return flight to CYQA.

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by challenger_nami »

This topic has been discussed many times before, and yet this type of incident keeps repeating.

Thankfully there were no injuries or damage to the aircraft in this case. However, had this pilot properly verified the landing gear position on short final, his/her ego would remain less bruised.

Let the nay sayers say their nays.

P.S. I hope the Mod(s) don’t delete my post because they perceive my comments as “inflammatory”

Challener’s Rules of Engagement:
Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

challenger_nami wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:34 am However, had this pilot properly verified the landing gear position on short final, his/her ego would remain less bruised.
And all of our insurance costs would be lower.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

pelmet wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:32 pm
challenger_nami wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:34 am However, had this pilot properly verified the landing gear position on short final, his/her ego would remain less bruised.
How do you both know with absolute certainty this wasn't a mechanical failure? Do you have verified information not posted above?

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

rookiepilot wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:09 pm
How do you both know with absolute certainty this wasn't a mechanical failure? Do you have verified information not posted above?
If there was a genuine mechanical failure, the pilot would be wise to have declared some sort of emergency.

this to me sounds like an “Oops I forgot to lower my landing gears to land on the gravel” type of incident... similar to that OMNR Tanker incident we discussed on this forum.

However, if it turns out that my instinct was incorrect and this indeed was a genuine mechanical failure, then I would come and apologize on this forum. I would love to be proven wrong on this. unlikely though:

This is an Amphibian we are talking about here, remember.
if this aircraft had Landing Gear Extension issues, then could they NOT have easily gone to a LAKE, and touched down on water instead of gravel?

Last edited by challenger_nami on Sat May 29, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

challenger_nami wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:24 pm

If there was a genuine mechanical failure, the pilot would be wise to have declared some sort of emergency.

this to me sounds like an “Oops I forgot to lower my landing gears to land on the gravel” type of incident... similar to that OMNR Tanker incident we discussed on this forum.

However, if it turns out that my instinct was incorrect and this indeed was a genuine mechanical failure, then I would come and apologize on this forum. I would love to be proven wrong on this. unlikely though:

if this aircraft had Landing Gear Extension issues, then they could have easily gone to a LAKE, and touched down on water instead of gravel. This is an Amphibian we are talking about here, remember.

So a pilot always knows before landing a mechanical failure has occurred?

Of course this is AvCan...verified facts are irrelevant to a good thrashing. :rolleyes:

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

rookiepilot wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:40 pm

if this aircraft had Landing Gear Extension issues, then they could have easily gone to a LAKE, and touched down on water instead of gravel. This is an Amphibian we are talking about here, remember.

A competent pilot does... most the time. I don’t know about the non competent ones.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

challenger_nami wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:45 pm

A competent pilot does... most the time. I don’t know about the non competent ones.

Really.

I had a catastrophic metal fatigue failure on my (extended) landing gear upon landing....TSB looked at it as well, probably to assess if an AD should be issued....I had no clue beforehand.

Of course that didn't stop the trolls here, despite knowing for a fact it was mechanical -- with the smart ass comments alluding that I forgot to lower my gear -- LOL.

That's why it's wise to know for sure -- before commenting! Otherwise you're just adding to the cesspool.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I doubt any amphibian pilot would elect to land on the water with a partial or unknown gear malfunction...

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

rookiepilot wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:57 pm
challenger_nami wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:45 pm

Really.

I had a catastrophic metal fatigue failure on my (extended) landing gear upon landing....TSB looked at it as well, probably to assess if an AD should be issued....I had no clue beforehand.

Of course that didn't stop the trolls here, despite knowing for a fact it was mechanical -- with the smart ass comments alluding that I forgot to lower my gear -- LOL.

That's why it's wise to know for sure -- before commenting! Otherwise you're just adding to the cesspool.

Flying an airplane is a public affair. Does Not matter if it’s for private or commercial purposes . If you end up on the news because of whatever happened to your flight, you should be able to handle the sh*t-storm of public scrutiny.

As the pilot of the aircraft involved in an incident, you are guilty until proven innocent. Sully Sullenberger is my go to example. If you have done things right, you will get vindicated and could become a hero.

If you can NOT handle criticism of your actions as a pilot, don’t fly an airplane of any sort.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

challenger_nami wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:53 am
Flying an airplane is a public affair. Does Not matter if it’s for private or commercial purposes . If you end up on the news because of whatever happened to your flight, you should be able to handle the sh*t-storm of public scrutiny.

As the pilot of the aircraft involved in an incident, you are guilty until proven innocent. Sully Sullenberger is my go to example. If you have done things right, you will get vindicated and could become a hero.

If you can NOT handle criticism of your actions as a pilot, don’t fly an airplane of any sort.

Posting here is a public affair.

This applies to you too, or others posting unfounded speculation without evidence. If you can't handle public criticism of garbage posts, don't post.

You've posted a lot of crap speculating on accidents as have others here, gotten publicly challenged, and refused to respond. What goes around comes around, and others have the right to aggressively call it out.

Post S---expect to get challenged-- don't whine about it, or the Mods even deleting it!

Last edited by rookiepilot on Sun May 30, 2021 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

rookiepilot wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:19 am
challenger_nami wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:53 am

Posting here is a public affair.

This applies to you too, or others posting unfounded speculation without evidence. If you can't handle public criticism of garbage posts, don't post.

Post shit, expect to get challenged-- don't whine about it.

I fully agree with you @RookiePilot that posting on this forum is a public affair.

I fully stand behind my posts and am glad to be challenged about what I write. That Keeps me accountable, and that is the way I like to be.

I don’t usually/ever whine about professional criticism with reason.... being trolled by idio*s is a totally different thing; I tend to deflate trolls with my data and logic approach.

I challenge you to show me an example of an instance when I whined about my “garbage posts” being criticized. I will be glad to address it, and potentially deflate you :smt040

Last edited by challenger_nami on Sun May 30, 2021 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”