Any Canadian ATC?

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

josnailai94
Rank 0
Rank 0

Any Canadian ATC?

Post by josnailai94 »

Transport just added a salary of $30,000 to the 1 year training time to get into ATC. Before it was unpaid. I could take a 1 year pay cut to that and now I'm seriously considering making the switch.

I would really like to hear stories about your experiences applying, going through training, working as ATC, and everything in between.
---------- ADS -----------

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Any Canadian ATC?

Post by wordstwice »

Transport Canada doesn’t run the ATC system here, Nav Canada does.

There are currently reductions in staffing with several employees laid off including Air Traffic Controllers. There are no job available and won’t be for quite some time so you may want to put your efforts elsewhere for the time being.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

josnailai94 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:46 am Transport just added a salary of $30,000 to the 1 year training time to get into ATC. Before it was unpaid. I could take a 1 year pay cut to that and now I'm seriously considering making the switch.

I would really like to hear stories about your experiences applying, going through training, working as ATC, and everything in between.
To add to what Wordstwice posted the salary was actually 40k ish and training is longer than 1 year. There is a ton of information on this forum that will answer all your questions.

thenoflyzone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thenoflyzone »

I think josnailai94 typed his question back in the 90s on his old computer with a 28k modem, hit "enter", and the question appeared online just now.... :lol:

paultyner
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by paultyner »

josnailai94 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:46 am Transport just added a salary of $30,000 to the 1 year training time to get into ATC. Before it was unpaid. I could take a 1 year pay cut to that and now I'm seriously considering making the switch.

Greatest job in the world to have.

Hardest job in the world to get.

TIPS: Work hard, like, harder than you ever have for anything in your life ever. Put your effort into the things you can control (studying, eating properly, sleeping, managing your relationships outside work)

jhonhamrie2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jhonhamrie2 »

In addition to what Wordstwice already said, the income was closer to $40,000 and the training took more than a year. This forum has a tonne of material that will address all of your queries.

Arshi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Arshi »

josnailai94 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:46 am GB WhatsAppTransport just added a salary of $30,000 to the 1 year training time to get into ATC. Before it was unpaid. I could take a 1 year pay cut to that and now I'm seriously considering making the switch.

It's understandable to consider a career change when a salary is added to a previously unpaid training period. Hearing from others about their experiences in the ATC field could provide valuable insight for those considering it.

Zenii
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Zenii »

wordstwice wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:11 am Transport Canada doesn’t run the ATC system here, Nav Canada does.

There are currently reductions in staffing with several employees laid off including Air Traffic Controllers. There are no job available and won’t be for quite some time so you may want to put your efforts elsewhere for the time being.
Hi guys
It's concerning to hear about the staffing reductions and layoffs of Air Traffic Controllers in Canada. As safety in the skies is paramount, such decisions must be carefully managed. I hope that the situation improves soon, and the aviation industry can bounce back, ensuring job opportunities for those affected.free fire name style

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

You quoted me from almost 3 years ago.
Today we are back in a severe short staffed situation for controllers and staff reductions never actually occurred. (for licensed Air Traffic Controllers anyways)

captaincringe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by captaincringe »

josnailai94 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:46 am Transport just added a salary of $30,000 to theFM Whatsapp Download 1 year training time to get into ATC. Before it was unpaid. I could take a 1 year pay cut to that and now I'm seriously considering making the switch.

One of my friends is in ATC. When he joined for training there was not too much salary provided for the learners. But now as you said the budget is increased for it now the freshers will get a good amount in their hands. Thank you for sharing the details.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”