CDC release study on masks during covid. Efficacy is 0.5-1.9 percent.

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

CDC release study on masks during covid. Efficacy is 0.5-1.9 percent.

Post by montado »

mm7010e3-H.pdf
(225.16 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
Study has been released.

Mask mandates were shown to curtail the growth in daily COVID-19 cases by 0.5% to 1.9% after they were implemented.

Imagine all the pissing matches over masks. Dr Robert redfield even said he thought masks were more effective than vaccines. Remember, trust the experts. Imagine trusting experts when they say such idiotic things. Now we have the divide in Texas where some businesses want to keep masks mandatory.

I think it's ridiculous... But to each their own... Some people think masks should be mandatory even with little evidence to support they have much effectiveness at all. I have always said I thought masks were pretty much useless and whether you believe in masks or not you should treat it as if they don't really work.

CDC still recommends mask wearing. I guess even a small amount of effectiveness means we should all mask up right?
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: CDC release study on masks during covid. Efficacy is 0.5-1.9 percent.

Post by photofly »

CDC still recommends mask wearing. I guess even a small amount of effectiveness means we should all mask up right?
Yes, 100%. Add together a few items each with a small amount of effectiveness and that's a lot of sickness prevented. Thank you for doing your part.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

photofly wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:15 am
Yes, 100%. Add together a few items each with a small amount of effectiveness and that's a lot of sickness prevented. Thank you for doing your part.
We're in the age of outliers. Make sure we sacrifice everything for the 1%.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

If wearing a mask is a sacrifice for you then your life is too soft.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Jet Stream
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jet Stream »

We're in the age of outliers. Make sure we sacrifice everything for the 1%.

It is worth the sacrifice if you are the 1%.

OneYonge
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by OneYonge »

montado wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:52 am mm7010e3-H.pdfStudy has been released.

Mask mandates were shown to curtail the growth in daily COVID-19 cases by 0.5% to 1.9% after they were implemented.

Imagine all the pissing matches over masks. Dr Robert redfield even said he thought masks were more effective than vaccines. Remember, trust the experts. Imagine trusting experts when they say such idiotic things. Now we have the divide in Texas where some businesses want to keep masks mandatory.

I think it's ridiculous... But to each their own... Some people think masks should be mandatory even with little evidence to support they have much effectiveness at all. I have always said I thought masks were pretty much useless and whether you believe in masks or not you should treat it as if they don't really work.

Your scientist will have to convince the other scientists who say the opposite.

For rest of us who are not scientists, the decision to wear masks is based on risk management, not science.

Here's Scott explaining this diagram. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-eI23lTeRY&t=1560s

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

photofly wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:39 am If wearing a mask is a sacrifice for you then your life is too soft.
Baseless statement.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Risk management... We should ban flying airplane at night and in IFR conditions because science shows its not as safe as day VFR. Humans can't tolerate risk. It's poor risk management to think otherwise and therefore I'm right even if you prove later it's only marginally more dangerous to fly in night IFR conditions.

Where does risk management meet reasonable measures of safety? Do we have no limit on what we will give up in the name of risk management? Most of us were sold on an idea that masks work better than they actually do... And now what keep double down on masks to save face? I think it's idiotic that masks get 90 percent of the attention for being responsible for 2 percent of prevention. But that's the bias engrained into society now.

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

OneYonge wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:07 am

Your scientist will have to convince the other scientists who say the opposite.

For rest of us who are not scientists, the decision to wear masks is based on risk management, not science.

Here's Scott explaining this diagram. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-eI23lTeRY&t=1560s

Yes, it is very low risk to go without a mask. It is also an extremely low risk to die of COVID.

22514/37500000= .06%

22514=COVID deaths in Canada in 2020 AND 2021 (this includes deaths not directly caused by COVID, as per CDC guidance on recording deaths)
37500000=Population of Canada

1.55% of Canadians are fully vaccinated (Google)

A higher percentage (2,700%) of Canadians are fully vaccinated than are at risk of death. (approx. 600000)

You can BS psychology, but you cannot BS math.

But by all means, keep up the restrictions. Our group is pushing to end EI payments.

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

montado wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:21 am Risk management... We should ban flying airplane at night and in IFR conditions because science shows its not as safe as day VFR. Humans can't tolerate risk. It's poor risk management to think otherwise and therefore I'm right even if you prove later it's only marginally more dangerous to fly in night IFR conditions.

Where does risk management meet reasonable measures of safety? Do we have no limit on what we will give up in the name of risk management? Most of us were sold on an idea that masks work better than they actually do... And now what keep double down on masks to save face? I think it's idiotic that masks get 90 percent of the attention for being responsible for 2 percent of prevention. But that's the bias engrained into society now.
Agreed and amplified.

We can make even more aviation analogies:

Engine on-condition programs
Decreased maintenance frequencies (think AS261)
Max duty days
Multiple MELs
Standard weights
Non-radar IFR
Piston aircraft FIKI
Single-engine....anything

Alot of these can be combined on a series of flight legs, as most of us well know. These are verifiably lethal risks. So the "every minute/useless bit of mitigation is necessary" crowd never took any of the above lethal risks to themselves and their pax?

Ruddervator
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ruddervator »

OneYonge
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by OneYonge »

montado wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:21 am Risk management... We should ban flying airplane at night and in IFR conditions because science shows its not as safe as day VFR. Humans can't tolerate risk. It's poor risk management to think otherwise and therefore I'm right even if you prove later it's only marginally more dangerous to fly in night IFR conditions.

As pilots, we are the "experts" in our field and can already make decisions based on our knowledge and training. It is procedure.

Regarding masks, the scientists are still in a pissing match about it. You have one study that says one thing, and another that says something else.

By risk management, I am referring to decisions made by those of use who are not scientists caught in the middle.

Our decisions regarding masks are not based on "science". Between non-scientists, assessment of risks vary enormously.

Whether there should be a mandate or not... that is politics and therefore another topic.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

There is some evidence (per the original post) that wearing masks reduces infection rates.
What's the argument against wearing a mask? I'm not seeing the down-side here.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

We should ban the snowbirds. They have a bad safety record, those planes could fall out of the sky and kill people on the ground. How dare they fly above me. I don't like risk. Especially risk for something so stupid like flying planes in formation. What is the risk reward to stupid planes flying in circles above me burning fuel for no reason causing climate change. Who's with me? /s

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

As usual Montado left out the context:

Summary

What is already known about this topic?
Universal masking and avoiding nonessential indoor spaces are recommended to mitigate the spread of COVID-19.

What is added by this report?
Mandating masks was associated with a decrease in daily COVID-19 case and death growth rates within 20 days of implementation. Allowing on-premises restaurant dining was associated with an increase in daily COVID-19 case growth rates 41–100 days after implementation and an increase in daily death growth rates 61–100 days after implementation.

What are the implications for public health practice?
Mask mandates and restricting any on-premises dining at restaurants can help limit community transmission of COVID-19 and reduce case and death growth rates. These findings can inform public policies to reduce community spread of COVID-19.

And:

The findings in this report are subject to at least three limitations.

First, although models controlled for mask mandates, restaurant and bar closures, stay-at-home orders, and gathering bans, the models did not control for other policies that might affect case and death rates, including other types of business closures, physical distancing recommendations, policies issued by localities, and variances granted by states to certain counties if variances were not made publicly available.

Second, compliance with and enforcement of policies were not measured.

Finally, the analysis did not differentiate between indoor and outdoor dining, adequacy of ventilation, and adherence to physical distancing and occupancy requirements.
Community mitigation measures can help reduce the transmission of SARS-CoV-2. In this study, mask mandates were associated with reductions in COVID-19 case and death growth rates within 20 days, whereas allowing on-premises dining at restaurants was associated with increases in COVID-19 case and death growth rates after 40 days. With the emergence of more transmissible COVID-19 variants, community mitigation measures are increasingly important as part of a larger strategy to decrease exposure to and reduce transmission of SARS-CoV-2 (3,4).

Community mitigation policies, such as state-issued mask mandates and prohibition of on-premises restaurant dining, have the potential to slow the spread of COVID-19, especially if implemented with other public health strategies (1,10).

Cherry picking a statistic out of an entire study while omitting any of the context provided by the actual authors is typical of some trying to push their head up their ass agenda.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

montado wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:12 am We should ban the snowbirds. They have a bad safety record, those planes could fall out of the sky and kill people on the ground. How dare they fly above me. I don't like risk. Especially risk for something so stupid like flying planes in formation. What is the risk reward to stupid planes flying in circles above me burning fuel for no reason causing climate change. Who's with me? /s
If banning the Snowbirds reduced the risk of Covid infection by 0.5 to 1.9%, they'd have been gone by mid-March 2020.

OneYonge
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by OneYonge »

Debates on this forum about mask/no-mask is an example of Non-scientist vs Non-scientist discussion.

See the diagram above.

Scientists themselves could not agree on it, what more a bunch of pilots who can easily google a study opposing another study.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

You clearly do not understand the concept of exponential growth. We've been wearing masks for a year (give or take) now. So here's the math:

1*1.015^365 = ~229.14

By wearing masks with a 1.5% effectiveness rate for one year, we have therefore reduced the spread of covid by a whopping 22,290% - four orders of magnitude. I'll take that inconvenience.

Or, to put it another way, I would be a very, very rich man, if I could find an investment that earned me 1.5% interest per day.

This argumenrt is only convincing if you don't math.

Furthermore:
The linked article wrote:The findings in this report are subject to at least three limitations. First, although models controlled for mask mandates, restaurant and bar closures, stay-at-home orders, and gathering bans, the models did not control for other policies that might affect case and death rates, including other types of business closures, physical distancing recommendations, policies issued by localities, and variances granted by states to certain counties if variances were not made publicly available. Second, compliance with and enforcement of policies were not measured. Finally, the analysis did not differentiate between indoor and outdoor dining, adequacy of ventilation, and adherence to physical distancing and occupancy requirements.
In other words, it's extremely unreliable because it failed to account for acutal compliance, among a vast cornucopia of other factors. It did not measure mask usage. It only measured mask policy. But let's continue to misquote and misunderstand scientific research, and then hold it up as proof, right?

Last edited by RedAndWhiteBaron on Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
Ruddervator
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ruddervator »

"Mandating indoor masks nationwide in early July could have reduced the weekly number of new cases in Canada by 25 to 40 percent in mid-August, which translates into 700 to 1,100 fewer cases per week."

https://www.nber.org/system/files/worki ... w27891.pdf

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

OneYonge wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:21 am Scientists themselves could not agree on it.
False statement akin to saying the 3% of scientists who still reject manmade climate change means there’s still a debate. There isn’t.

Return to “Covid”