Overtime available

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Mrbobmarly111
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Overtime available

Post by Mrbobmarly111 »

I believe you are correct it would be considered work action.

What im saying is do i like that im Furloughed and there is people doing extra work that I should be doing? Of course not. But you will never ever in a million years be able to convince everyone to agree to not take the extra flying. For example at AC if it gets passed all the way to the bottom they start over at the top at triple time. Ofcourse that never happens. But if you want something like this to be fixed the Union and its members need to put in the contract some kinda language that makes the senior peeps be affected more evenly. For example have a clause that whenever there is Furloughed pilots somone can only work a maximum of 5 hours VO before they will be put at the end of the call list etc... but until that exists things will never change. And personally I would take the overtime purely because i owe it to my younger self. One shift is worth thousands of dollars. And look im Furloughed right now i deserve to get that money in the future.

Ps: i do agree that guy was a knob on the AC form. Definitely a tool.
---------- ADS -----------

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

When the system is fucked right from your new hire practices, and flat pay, are you actually surprised when shit like this happens? Like someone said, if not this guy, then the next one would do it without a doubt. Heck, the guy above me is already saying he's furloughed, so if he has an opportunity to make that $1000 back, why wouldn't he when he's lost so much income? Who knows, maybe this guy is flying his ass off to leave the company with time on type? Or trying to scoop up as much money before he/she is deemed a surplus?

There's no unity amongst anyone at Air Canada. You guys are all in it for yourselves because as a company culture you're shorted morally on so many levels, that it comes out in a frugal, greedy, and a what's in it for me attitude from the workforce. When this is how your company is operated, it spreads like cancer with the net effect being what you see here with guys having no moral compass for picking up 100 hour months while their counterparts are sitting at home.

If you want solidarity amongst your group, it should be a little less talk about vacation homes and boats and a bit more team-building and loyalty generating conversations between how the 20-year guy and 2-year guy can collaborate to build better conditions that benefit both. A pipe dream historically speaking, but you never know, as there are some solid guys/gals there too who completely understand the fragments in the pilot group, and are working actively in trying to change it for the better.

To the one that commented about this guy getting through the screening process, you're putting way too much faith in that dog and pony show. We both know many winners make it through, and many gems don't.

Sorry to see this happen to you guys, you have the power to turn things around if your group collectively wants to. Good luck guys.

buzzjob
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by buzzjob »

I am also furloughed, but I get it that there are OT flights available. Unscheduled flights, last minute changes, things very dynamic for the company trying to squeeze every penney they can find. These are tough times...I can very much tell you how tough it is.

Perhaps a solution to this and everyone can grab as much OT as they see fit. What does a 15-20% donation of OT gains be pooled to support our furloughed Brothers and Sisters?

redbusdriver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by redbusdriver »

i get why some are doing ot, the simple fact is most of us would to, for various reasons. i know when i get recalled i'll pick up as much as i can to make up for what i've lost. all is fair in love an war.

simply_no_one
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by simply_no_one »

redbusdriver wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:23 am i get why some are doing ot, the simple fact is most of us would to, for various reasons. i know when i get recalled i'll pick up as much as i can to make up for what i've lost. all is fair in love an war.
I won't pick up a single day of VO when I'm recalled until all furloughs are back. If you choose to do so, just know people are watching and memories aren't short.

Your post here is a perfect example of why AC pilots will NEVER have unity or a significant improvement in our contract.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

redbusdriver wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:23 am i get why some are doing ot, the simple fact is most of us would to, for various reasons. i know when i get recalled i'll pick up as much as i can to make up for what i've lost. all is fair in love an war.
I’m not at AC but I am furloughed. I would lose my house before I would take overtime while my colleagues are laid off. It’s called solidarity.

redbusdriver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by redbusdriver »

ant_321 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:49 pm
I’m not at AC but I am furloughed. I would lose my house before I would take overtime while my colleagues are laid off. It’s called solidarity.
if you choose to loose your house then thats you, i wont. and as mentioned above, if i dont take it someone else will. i wish that wasn't the case, but end of the day c.y.o.a, so im not alone in this.

thrust set
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thrust set »

Dude, you’re at the wrong airline for solidarity! This place has always had pilots thinking about themselves rather than for the collective whole. Pilots doing outrageous amounts of OT, union leaders spending Mon - Thur while being displaced to finish law degrees and MBA’s. Pilots jumping the cue to get that left seat at Rouge. Last week go look on the other forum to see the selfish “ mama drama “ from a captain that wouldn’t give up a leg to his F/O that needed it for currency. It was cringeworthy and I hope that clown spends the remaining time here eating alone on overnights.
So if someone said they need a trip to pay the bank, I say have at it.

simply_no_one
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by simply_no_one »

thrust set wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:58 pm Last week go look on the other forum to see the selfish “ mama drama “ from a captain that wouldn’t give up a leg to his F/O that needed it for currency. It was cringeworthy and I hope that clown spends the remaining time here eating alone on overnights.
So if someone said they need a trip to pay the bank, I say have at it.
Cryin Ryan

Stu Pidasso
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Although C.R.is a legendary whiner, the point was there is only one person who decides who flys and that is the Pilot in Command.

Not crewsked or some other clerk.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

100%. PIC makes the call, not crewsked or company clipboard manager.

While I disagree with the VO, I know the above mentioned has stood up for his crew and contract and eaten a suspension for his trouble.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

The company is in it for themselves.
The union is in it for the pilot group.
You should be in it for yourself.

With that said, don't be an ass and take 25 hours of OT, but to pick up a pairing here and there is fine.

metalbusdriver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by metalbusdriver »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:59 pm The company is in it for themselves.

With that said, don't be an ass and take 25 hours of OT, but to pick up a pairing here and there is fine.

The union is in it for the pilot group? Missed that as we are the only pilots on furlough without support from the CEWS and MEC won't go to bat for us and is fine with " thats the companies decision".

We stand together, unless you're furloughed then you are not allowed to be included in the MEC emails or voting or discussions because none of these have a direct implication in your current status or future career path.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

metalbusdriver wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:28 am
notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:59 pm The company is in it for themselves.

The union is in it for the pilot group? Missed that as we are the only pilots on furlough without support from the CEWS and MEC won't go to bat for us and is fine with " thats the companies decision".

We stand together, unless you're furloughed then you are not allowed to be included in the MEC emails or voting or discussions because none of these have a direct implication in your current status or future career path.
Sorry, I should be more clear. The union is in it for the active pilot group who are still paying in to the union.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

Solidarity. You guys crack me up. You all became pilots in your late teens or early 20’s because you wanted solidarity with a bunch of other pilots? You guys are weird.

Solidarity...ROFL...I see Lech Walensa leading a bunch of miners through the streets of Warsaw in 1980. Not a bunch of whiney pilots.

Solidarity...that’s a good one...

simply_no_one
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by simply_no_one »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:27 pm

Sorry, I should be more clear. The union is in it for the active pilot group who are still paying in to the union.
And if the 600 furloughs were on CEWS they'd still be paying dues.

Also I completely disagree with your post anyways. We are still members of ACPA and have the longest time left in this job over pretty much every active pilot. They should be protecting our futures and the future of the job in general. The old adage "we don't negotiate for people not hired yet" is an old way of thinking and it's how we ended up where we are now with horrible 4 year flat pay and a garbage pension.

simply_no_one
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by simply_no_one »

ALPApolicy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:40 pm Solidarity. You guys crack me up. You all became pilots in your late teens or early 20’s because you wanted solidarity with a bunch of other pilots? You guys are weird.

Solidarity...ROFL...I see Lech Walensa leading a bunch of miners through the streets of Warsaw in 1980. Not a bunch of whiney pilots.

Solidarity...that’s a good one...
Not everyone started flying when they were 20. I saw more solidarity in my old warehousing jobs, which got me though flight school than I've ever seen at any airline. Pretty sad, to be honest.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

simply_no_one wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:41 pm

Also I completely disagree with your post anyways. We are still members of ACPA and have the longest time left in this job over pretty much every active pilot. They should be protecting our futures and the future of the job in general. The old adage "we don't negotiate for people not hired yet" is an old way of thinking and it's how we ended up where we are now with horrible 4 year flat pay and a garbage pension.
I'm sorry that you're having such a bad time with ALPA.

I can tell you for a fact that not every ALPA pilot group feels the way the AC pilot group seems to feel. I can give you some more specifics over PM if you'd like, but my bargaining group is doing an absolutely amazing job! [coming from another furloughed pilot]

simply_no_one
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by simply_no_one »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:43 pm
simply_no_one wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:41 pm

I'm sorry that you're having such a bad time with ALPA.

I can tell you for a fact that not every ALPA pilot group feels the way the AC pilot group seems to feel. I can give you some more specifics over PM if you'd like, but my bargaining group is doing an absolutely amazing job! [coming from another furloughed pilot]
Thanks man I come from an ALPA carrier, and miss it. ACPA is a dumpster fire run by an old boys club who only care about their flight release and maintaining "power"...

I know ALPA has been doing pretty good for other groups including Jazz.

My dream is the pilots here wake up and kick ACPA to the curb. Enough of giving away the farm to "capture" flying... If the same people are in charge come next major contract renewal I'm very very worried of what bullshit they will try to sell us.

redbusdriver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by redbusdriver »

acpa is doing fine imo and will continue to get my support, and im furloughed!

Return to “Air Canada”