Seniority Travel

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Dionysus
Rank 1
Rank 1

Seniority Travel

Post by Dionysus »

With many taking early retirement or furloughed in all departments is it time to push for seniority travel. I’m for it sitting middle of the pack.
---------- ADS -----------

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Seniority Travel

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

Dionysus wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:55 am With many taking early retirement or furloughed in all departments is it time to push for seniority travel. I’m for it sitting middle of the pack.
What do you mean by seniority travel?

As far as I know, retired crew are entitled to flight benefits whereas furloughed crew are entitled to the following notice:
Forbidden: You have tried to access a page you do not have permission for.

Dionysus
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dionysus »

By this I mean your standby priority is based on your date of hire vs the ridiculous who presses the button first at 24 hrs from the flight. Hunger games.

hurtin'albertan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hurtin'albertan »

Dionysus wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:55 am With many taking early retirement or furloughed in all departments is it time to push for seniority travel. I’m for it sitting middle of the pack.
You know where the perfect place to complain and/or advocate for this is?

Wait for it...

Just a little longer...
Not Avcanada.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

As someone who commutes only to have 5 people list 2 hours before the flight that you thought you were safe to take I can tell you that the seniority Stby travel sucks. Maybe if there was a cutoff time it wouldn’t be so bad where people would fall behind the already listed people but not knowing where you sit on the list until it’s too late to make a change is brutal.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

Dionysus wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:13 am By this I mean your standby priority is based on your date of hire vs the ridiculous who presses the button first at 24 hrs from the flight. Hunger games.
Are you suggesting that a retiree traveling for leisure should use his/her "seniority" too displace a "working stiff" :shock:

Dionysus
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dionysus »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:50 pm
Dionysus wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:13 am By this I mean your standby priority is based on your date of hire vs the ridiculous who presses the button first at 24 hrs from the flight. Hunger games.
Are you suggesting that a retiree traveling for leisure should use his/her "seniority" too displace a "working stiff" :shock:
Retirees have their own spot on the priority list. But yeah seniority doh would work in that specific priority list too when it comes to retirees.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Dionysus wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:06 pm
Loon-A-Tic wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:50 pm
Retirees have their own spot on the priority list. But yeah seniority doh would work in that specific priority list too when it comes to retirees.
Maybe it's just because I'm still relatively green, but I favour check-in based priority. I wouldn't be opposed to commuters getting priority boosts.

Ex DC10 Driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ex DC10 Driver »

Check in Seniority all the way. Not DOH and definitely priority for commuters.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

Not sure why commuters deserve priority. They (me) made a choice not to live where they work. Why should that be rewarded? Some flights have 10+ commuters on them, I think it would be grossly unfair for a person traveling on vacation to be bumped on flight after flight by commuters.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

ALPApolicy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:46 am Not sure why commuters deserve priority. They (me) made a choice not to live where they work. Why should that be rewarded? Some flights have 10+ commuters on them, I think it would be grossly unfair for a person traveling on vacation to be bumped on flight after flight by commuters.
So you'd be perfectly happy with missing a assigned flight and the associated complications that arise as a result of by an "off duty" employee going on leisure travel.

Dias
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dias »

I would realize it's only fair and I don't deserve priority for choosing to commute.

Ex DC10 Driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ex DC10 Driver »

This last year alone should show why commuters deserve priority over vacationing employees. How many of us have had to change bases and be forced to commute. Even with upgrades and then eventually, hopefully being able to get back to their home base shows the need for commuters. This is not the military, do you expect the employees to move every time their base temporarily changes?

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

So a good opportunity for airline management to eliminate and shed the burden of a "commuting policy" from the collective agreements. That sounds like a step backwards but if it of no assistance then why not remove it if favor of other "gains" in the next round of negations.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

My suggestion: set aside 10% of unsold seats as 'Commuter Priority' where a commuter will get first choice (based on check-in time), and then if it's not taken, it will be released to the rest of the standby crowd.

I don't commute, but for those who do, having a little more security that they will get to work or get home is more important than my leisure trip.

One is optional leisure, the other is mandatory work.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:38 am My suggestion: set aside 10% of unsold seats as 'Commuter Priority' where a commuter will get first choice (based on check-in time), and then if it's not taken, it will be released to the rest of the standby crowd.

I don't commute, but for those who do, having a little more security that they will get to work or get home is more important than my leisure trip.

One is optional leisure, the other is mandatory work.
Finally someone gets it, there is still a glimmer of hope alive

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

It would be ironic if the person complaining about the commuter getting on ahead of them ended up having their vacation flight cancelled because the commuter couldn’t make it to work.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

fish4life wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:18 am It would be ironic if the person complaining about the commuter getting on ahead of them ended up having their vacation flight cancelled because the commuter couldn’t make it to work.
As I recall there's a saying for that......Karma is a BITCH :rolleyes:

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

ALPApolicy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:46 am Not sure why commuters deserve priority. They (me) made a choice not to live where they work. Why should that be rewarded? Some flights have 10+ commuters on them, I think it would be grossly unfair for a person traveling on vacation to be bumped on flight after flight by commuters.
Because commuters are commuting so that the senior guys can get their preferred base. Kind of sour to hear people asking for priority to go on vacation. Jeesh.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Impact
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Impact »

Nailed it.

Far too much negotiating capital has been used over the years for the benefit of commuters.

Return to “WestJet”