Class 1 medical validity

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pantro007
Rank 0
Rank 0

Class 1 medical validity

Post by pantro007 »

Hi,

I am planning to travel to Canada for my CPL training. I hold a FAA PPL which I would be converting to a Transport Canada PPL. I did my Canada Class 1 medical on 21/10/2019. In these COVID times, TC had asked for attestation to extend the validity of the medical and this was done 28/07/2020. Now, my question is since I don't have a FAA or TC CPL, and the first thing I get after conversion is a TC PPL, what is the validity of my Class 1 medical? Is it still 12 months plus 1 year extension or is it 60 months plus 1 year extension?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Class 1 medical validity

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

This all very much depends on how old you are.

I'm past 40 - my class 1 is valid for one year, after which I can fly on class 3 privileges. If I'm flying single pilot with passengers on board, then it's six months. But as a student pilot, it's apparently valid for five years. Go figure.

The big question is your age. After 40 it gets a bit more complicated.

60 months plus one year extension is right out, though, as far as I know (unless you're a student - it's complicated).

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

To the original poster: Your attestation is valid for 1 year from the original date of expiry - therefore your category 1 medical expires, for the purpose of validating a CPL, after attestation, on 1/8/2021.

The TC documents seem to suggest that the 5 year period (or 2 year period, if you were over 40 at your last in-person renewal) during which your category 1 medical validates a CPL for the purpose of exercising PPL privileges, is not affected, so that would apply until 1/11/2024 (or 1/11/2021 if you were over 40 on 21/10/2019).

However it's not entirely clear that that does or doesn't apply to a category 1 medical validating a PPL -- it may be your category 1 medical having been renewed on 28/07/2020, it may in fact validate a PPL until 1/8/2025 (or 1/8/2022 if you were over 40 on 21/10/2019).

Best thing is probably to email TC and get a written opinion.
RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:29 pm I'm past 40 - my class 1 is valid for one year, after which I can fly on class 3 privileges.
That is not correct - because if you hold a CPL then there are no class 3 privileges (did you mean category 3?) - a CPL is not validated, ever, by a category 3 medical. However if you hold a CPL and category 1 medical you can exercise PPL privileges for the same duration that a medical (category 1, or 3) would validate a PPL.

Regardless of age, a category 1, 3 or 4 medical validates a student pilot permit up to and including the first day of the next month five years after the date of examination printed on the medical certificate.

Last edited by photofly on Sat May 15, 2021 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

photofly wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:06 pm To the original poster: If you were under 40 on 28/07/2020 when you renewed it, then your category 1 medical validates your student pilot permit or PPL privileges (when you get them) up to and including 1/8/2025.
RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:29 pm I'm past 40 - my class 1 is valid for one year, after which I can fly on class 3 privileges.
That is not correct. Your medical doesn't change category after one year. However if you hold a CPL and category 1 medical you can exercise PPL privileges for the same duration that a category 3 medical would validate a PPL. That is, you can exercise PPL privileges, not "class 3" (did you mean category 3?) privileges.

Regardless of age, a category 1, 3 or 4 medical validates a student pilot permit up to and including the first day of the next month five years after the date of examination printed on the medical certificate.
I meant category 3. I don't hold a CPL though, and my category 1 medical allows me to fly gliders until 2025. It also validates my student pilot permit to that date.

But I can't use it to fly for profit beyond one year, and only six months if I'm single pilot with passenger(s). The point is, it's complicated. And entirely dependent on age, which the OP has not provided.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

TC had asked for attestation to extend the validity of the medical
Under what circumstances did they actually contact you to ask? It would be very unusual for TC to do so. Typically it is left up to you to renew at your own discretion, to maintain any privileges or to be eligible for any process that requires a medical certificate of some category.

The point to remember about medicals is that the duration of a medical is determined by the licence and not by the category of medical you hold.

Any medical that validates an SPP (category 1, 3, or 4) does so for 60 months.
Any medical that validates a PPL (category 1 or 3) does so for 60 months, or 24 months if the holder was 40 or older on the date of renewal.
Any medical that validates an ATPL or CPL (category 1 only) does so for 12 months, reduced to 6 months if the holder was 40 or older at the date of renewal and flying single-pilot with passengers or if 60 or older on the date of renewal.

The only exception is a CPL or ATPL being used for PPL privileges, which has a duration equivalent to a PPL.

If the OP was under 40 on 21/10/2019 and he's worried only about his forthcoming PPL, he didn't need to renew by attestation, or at all, until 2024.

It's also possible that by renewing by attestation the OP shortened the duration for which his category 3 medical would validate a PPL - if, for example he was 39 on 21/10/2019 but had turned 40 by 28/07/2020.

Last edited by photofly on Sun May 16, 2021 3:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

I was just about to argue with you. But I can't.

Well put, good sir.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

photofly wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:52 pm Any medical that validates an ATPL or CPL (category 1 only) does so for 24 months, or 12 months if the holder was 40 or older on the date of renewal, reduced to 6 months if flying single-pilot with passengers or if 60 or older on the date of renewal.
Unless something has changed recently, I believe the validity period for an ATPL/CPL holder under 40 is 12 months, and over 40 is 6 months.

Correction: The validity period for ATPL/CPL holders whom are 40 or older at the time of the exam is 12 months; unless they are flying single pilot with pax, or are 60 or older - in which case it's 6 months.
CARs 404.04 wrote:(6.1) The validity period of a medical certificate for a commercial pilot licence, a multi-crew pilot licence — aeroplane and an airline transport pilot licence, if the holder of the licence is acting as a flight crew member for hire or reward, is 12 months.

(6.2) However, the validity period of a medical certificate referred to in subsection (6.1) is reduced to 6 months if

(a) the holder of the licence is 40 years of age or older and is conducting a single-pilot operation with passengers on board; or

(b) the holder of the licence is 60 years of age or older.

Last edited by 7ECA on Sun May 16, 2021 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

7ECA wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:01 pm Unless something has changed recently, I believe the validity period for an ATPL/CPL holder under 40 is 12 months, and over 40 is 6 months.
Incorrect.
CARs 404.04 wrote:(6.1) The validity period of a medical certificate for a commercial pilot licence, a multi-crew pilot licence — aeroplane and an airline transport pilot licence, if the holder of the licence is acting as a flight crew member for hire or reward, is 12 months.

(6.2) However, the validity period of a medical certificate referred to in subsection (6.1) is reduced to 6 months if

(a) the holder of the licence is 40 years of age or older and is conducting a single-pilot operation with passengers on board; or
<snip>
A Cat 1 medical over 40 (over 40 here) is valid for one year - unless you are flying single pilot with passengers (e.g. you're a bush pilot), and that is the only exception. Photofly put it very succinctly.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

7ECA wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:01 pm
Unless something has changed recently, I believe the validity period for an ATPL/CPL holder under 40 is 12 months
Thanks - I fixed that bit.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:18 pm

<snip>
A Cat 1 medical over 40 (over 40 here) is valid for one year - unless you are flying single pilot with passengers (e.g. you're a bush pilot), and that is the only exception. Photofly put it very succinctly.
Sorry my contention was mainly with the 24 month/2 year validity as noted. You are correct about the second part with the over 40/single pilot or over 60 validity period of 6 months, though. I've corrected my post above...
photofly wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:54 am Thanks - I fixed that bit.
No worries, gave me an excuse to check the CARs and see if something had changed. Seemed unusual that TC would have become more permissive - although they have to some degree with the over 40 and single pilot, else over 60 routine. I can't recall when that change was made, though.

pantro007
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pantro007 »

Sorry for not mentioning my age earlier. I'm 31 years of age. I want to start my FAA PPL conversion in Aug 2021 when I arrive in Canada, hopefully. So, will the medical be valid for that conversion. Once the conversion is done, I'll start with my CPL training and I believe that is when I'll need to renew the medical, before appearing for the written paper, right? Correct me if I'm wrong. Appreciate the help everyone!
photofly wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:52 pm
TC had asked for attestation to extend the validity of the medical
Under what circumstances did they actually contact you to ask? It would be very unusual for TC to do so. Typically it is left up to you to renew at your own discretion, to maintain any privileges or to be eligible for any process that requires a medical certificate of some category.

The point to remember about medicals is that the duration of a medical is determined by the licence and not by the category of medical you hold.

Any medical that validates an SPP (category 1, 3, or 4) does so for 60 months.
Any medical that validates a PPL (category 1 or 3) does so for 60 months, or 24 months if the holder was 40 or older on the date of renewal.
Any medical that validates an ATPL or CPL (category 1 only) does so for 12 months, reduced to 6 months if the holder was 40 or older at the date of renewal and flying single-pilot with passengers or if 60 or older on the date of renewal.

The only exception is a CPL or ATPL being used for PPL privileges, which has a duration equivalent to a PPL.

If the OP was under 40 on 21/10/2019 and he's worried only about his forthcoming PPL, he didn't need to renew by attestation, or at all, until 2024.

It's also possible that by renewing by attestation the OP shortened the duration for which his category 3 medical would validate a PPL - if, for example he was 39 on 21/10/2019 but had turned 40 by 28/07/2020.

Return to “Health & Fitness”