Porter receiving E195-E2?

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Porter receiving E195-E2?

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:50 pm Where will they get the gates from at YYZ? Sunwing was having a hard enough time getting gates at T3, and so completely moved all operations to the infield terminal just before COVID hit. Last time I was in YUL, most of the gates at the main terminal were occupied as well as the satellite terminal where Jazz and Air North operate.

I'm sure they have it figured out, but I'm just curious how they'll operate 30 let alone 80 aircraft at these airports.
I'm sure Porter would push for T1, but with Air Canada having the airport by the balls, it'll probably never happen.

Does anyone know if AC has control over the terminal, or if it's just their influence that keeps their competitors relegated to T3?
---------- ADS -----------

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Porter does have an agreement with El Al whereby you can buy one ticket and connect on either airline. El Al flies out of T3 at YYZ, so I think it would make sense from a passenger-connection situation for Porter to use T3 as well.

But again, there is no room that I see at T3. The GTAA has even started fully utilizing the Satellite portion of T3 which sat vacant for years, and the infield terminal is supposed to be exclusively for Sunwing.

As a Sunwing pilot though, I'd be happy if Porter took the infield terminal. It's a major pain to get to and from that place.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:15 pm Porter does have an agreement with El Al whereby you can buy one ticket and connect on either airline. El Al flies out of T3 at YYZ, so I think it would make sense from a passenger-connection situation for Porter to use T3 as well.

But again, there is no room that I see at T3. The GTAA has even started fully utilizing the Satellite portion of T3 which sat vacant for years, and the infield terminal is supposed to be exclusively for Sunwing.

As a Sunwing pilot though, I'd be happy if Porter took the infield terminal. It's a major pain to get to and from that place.
Why would anyone do that? Who would connect between Pearson and the island when you can fly WestJet or Air Canada for the same price?

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:23 pm
DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:15 pm Porter does have an agreement with El Al whereby you can buy one ticket and connect on either airline. El Al flies out of T3 at YYZ, so I think it would make sense from a passenger-connection situation for Porter to use T3 as well.

Why would anyone do that? Who would connect between Pearson and the island when you can fly WestJet or Air Canada for the same price?
You’ve obviously never flown Porter before, their service and experience is far far far superior.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

YC87DRVR wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:05 pm

You’ve obviously never flown Porter before, their service and experience is far far far superior.
I have flown Porter.

I'd like to hear why you believe Porter has far far superior service and experience.

A380FC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by A380FC »

Interesting that they have potentially "billions" to invest in new aircraft.... while at the same time they are cutting all employees wages by 6-8% across the board AND completely gutting health insurance benefits AND gutting RRSP matching for the next 12-18 month all under the guise of "we are all in this together so we must all suffer together".

Nobody at Porter getting any merit pay raise until the company becomes "cashflow positive" either. Since Porter is a private company, are the employees suppose to trust senior management when "cashflow positive" is attained since there are so many ways to calculate it and nobody can see the book? Is it cashflow positive before loan repayment? Is it cashflow positive including any loan payment plus interest?

Porter does have a major advantage in one aspect (similar to Sunwing and Transat) as they downsize from "large" to "small" carrier for APPR purposes so regulatory liability from both compensation and alternate arrangement obligations will go down significantly for the next 3 years.

I am really curious to see which terminal (1 or 3) and which slots they are able to secure at YYZ. Also, how many connecting flights will they offer where passengers need to transfer between YYZ and YTZ?

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

ggofp wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:49 pm whatever happened to their c-ceries/A220 order?! I suspect this is more of the same.
https://www.flightglobal.com/fleets/por ... 34.article

NobodyImportant
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NobodyImportant »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:25 pm

I have flown Porter.

I'd like to hear why you believe Porter has far far superior service and experience.
The experience is of course entirely subjective. But I agree 100% with YC87. Since Porter started, I've never flown any other airline to any destination they serve.

I wish nothing but the best for Porter. They're a true Canadian gem of an airline, and IMHO we're lucky to have them. But I do wonder if they can maintain the same level of excellence out of Pearson. Or for that matter, with larger planes - those Q400's do impart a level of "intimacy", for lack of a better word, between the crew and passengers, that would be lost in larger planes.

Let's not forget that it was Porter, and nobody else, who turned Billy Bishop from a rinky-dink local airfield, into an international destination. It is because of Porter that we have a viable downtown airport. They're scrappy enough that I can see this plan working, even if I fail to understand the details.

(no, I am not affiliated with Porter Airlines)

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

NobodyImportant wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:51 pm
notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:25 pm

I have flown Porter.

The experience is of course entirely subjective. But I agree 100% with YC87. Since Porter started, I've never flown any other airline to any destination they serve.

I wish nothing but the best for Porter. They're a true Canadian gem of an airline, and IMHO we're lucky to have them. But I do wonder if they can maintain the same level of excellence out of Pearson. Or for that matter, with larger planes - those Q400's do impart a level of "intimacy", for lack of a better word, between the crew and passengers, that would be lost in larger planes.

Let's not forget that it was Porter, and nobody else, who turned Billy Bishop from a rinky-dink local airfield, into an international destination. It is because of Porter that we have a viable downtown airport. They're scrappy enough that I can see this plan working, even if I fail to understand the details.

(no, I am not affiliated with Porter Airlines)
You should use your Googlefu and look up City Express if you really want to know who put life back into CYTZ.

NobodyImportant
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NobodyImportant »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:00 pm You should use your Googlefu and look up City Express if you really want to know who put life back into CYTZ.
Ooh, this is interesting. Before my time really - I was coming of age (12) when City Express shut down in 1991, so I don't recall them. And everything I can find on them is basically the same three regurgitated paragraphs. When I got my license, Porter did not yet exist, so I do remember what Billy Bishop was like without a major airline, and then obviously I remember what Porter did.

I'd appreciate any links you can send my way.

acpaleaks
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by acpaleaks »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:15 am
notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:59 am
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:56 am

Hmm eating those words now.
I saw the article and immediately remembered that I made a skeptical remark about it.

Yes, definitely eating my words now.
Hehe all good, at least it's very positive news for an industry absolutely brutalized by the pandemic in Canada.

Can't wait to see the rollout.
With Porter expanding, and Flair supposedly growing to 50 fins maybe finally AC will feel the pressure on hiring and we can all start a nice upward trend on Canadian pilot pay.

acpaleaks
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by acpaleaks »

I commuted between YTZ and YUL for almost two years, and usually flew on Porter. They are a great airline with a lot of great employees but it's not THAT much better. Certainly not if you have other options. Porter's shtick was flying out of YTZ and focusing on downtown business people, and once they move to YYZ they are going to be competing bigtime with other major players.

Tdicommuter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tdicommuter »

They are also missing the 70 year old flight attendants angrily complaining their grandkids can't afford a house as they continue to fly til they die.

Bring on the competition I say. As long as the pilots put together a great contract we all will benefit from the competition. Interesting choice of aircraft though.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Tdicommuter wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:53 pm As long as the pilots put together a great contract we all will benefit from the competition. Interesting choice of aircraft though.
Don’t they have to join a union first?

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

rudder wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:54 am
Tdicommuter wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:53 pm As long as the pilots put together a great contract we all will benefit from the competition. Interesting choice of aircraft though.
It doesn't have to be a contract, an non-union agreement with set pay and conditions for scheduling works fine. It'd be nice to see some competing wages and conditions, but that's an easy path to an early grave.

acpaleaks
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by acpaleaks »

rudder wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:54 am
With this announcement and what looks to be some major fin growth over the next 5 years, they'd be smart to.

airliner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by airliner »

Isn’t it a transport Canada regulation to have 1000 hrs on a 100000 lbs aircraft prior to being PIC on a 100000 lbs aircraft.

If this is the case there are a lot of Porter pilots that dreaming of the left seat who will have to wait a couple year longer while building time.
With a qualifier such as this makes you wonder what the big picture plan actually is for staffing these aircraft?

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

airliner wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:15 am Isn’t it a transport Canada regulation to have 1000 hrs on a 100000 lbs aircraft prior to being PIC on a 100000 lbs aircraft.

If this is the case there are a lot of Porter pilots that dreaming of the left seat who will have to wait a couple year longer while building time.
With a qualifier such as this makes you wonder what the big picture plan actually is for staffing these aircraft?
I’m pretty sure that isn’t a requirement.
Mainline AC was upgrading A320/319/321 captains with less than 2 years from their start date precovid who wouldn’t have had 1000 hours on the jets.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

airliner wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:15 am Isn’t it a transport Canada regulation to have 1000 hrs on a 100000 lbs aircraft prior to being PIC on a 100000 lbs aircraft.

No. In theory you could go direct entry captain on a 777 from a 172 as long as you have an ATPL.

acpaleaks
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by acpaleaks »

The only requirement to be pic on any 705 aircraft is an ATPL.

Return to “Porter Airlines”