helicopter crash near evansburg alberta 1 fatality

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

helicopter crash near evansburg alberta 1 fatality

Post by oldncold »

as reported by cbc news a 49 year old helicopter pilot died in the crash of a chopper. the helicopter was working on a forest fire in the area. the wx was very hot which may be a contributing factor and the tsb is investigating. condolences to all the family n friends of the deceased .
---------- ADS -----------

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: helicopter crash near evansburg alberta 1 fatality

Post by J31 »

karmutzen
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by karmutzen »

the wx was very hot which may be a contributing factor
Umm, light 212 going in empty to pick up ground crew. Nope, temps had nothing to do with this one. I'm suspecting mechanical.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

karmutzen wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:27 pm
the wx was very hot which may be a contributing factor
Umm, light 212 going in empty to pick up ground crew. Nope, temps had nothing to do with this one. I'm suspecting mechanical.
Forget about the aircraft, the heat has been somewhat murderous to fly around in. I would be more wondering if someone was dehydrated and fatigued.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by golden hawk »

Frozenwhirlybird
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Frozenwhirlybird »

W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by W5 »

Many helicopters that transport firefighting crews are grounded
Defective part caused fatal crash in Alberta, Canada

https://fireaviation.com/2021/07/06/man ... -grounded/

Pilot killed in Alberta helicopter crash identified
https://fireaviation.com/2021/07/06/pil ... dentified/

JL
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by JL »

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

That was a terrifying read.

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

Horrifying, QA failed so many times.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I spent years as the auditor for a Canadian aircraft parts manufacturer, making hardened steel engine parts. As horrifying as this report is, it describes what can happen if you're not auditing well enough. I'd go through a plant in the US, being told that "Three guys from Boeing audited us last week and wrote a good report" and I'd still find things which were non conforming.

This one is about material control - totally critical failure. The people who failed were genuinely trying to meet what they perceived was a customer expectation. This pressure to meet a customer expectation can be greatly reduced by a well written purchase order, and auditing to be sure that purchase orders are being read and understood. To prevent exactly what happened here, I included in every purchase order we issued for manufacturing:

"The quantity of parts delivered for this order may vary by 10% from the quantity ordered."

Thus, if a manufacturer started our order, making a few extra "just in case", and those extras made it through to final inspection, we would accept and pay for them happily. This was the result of my counting the in production items during fulfillment of one of our orders, during my audit - there were 5 too many. I asked the QA person what happened to any extras? "They're on a skid over there in the corner..." And there were a hundred or so extra parts, accumulated over years, with our data plates, part numbers, but no serial numbers! I Said "Those our ours!" He said "You want to buy them? I said "Of course!". Inventory of the extra parts was done, and we bought them all. They were inspected very thoroughly, and all passed. So, We would hence forth, accept and pay for extras, if a supplier made them....

If we placed an order, and a few parts were scrapped, we would accept a lesser number of parts to fulfill the order, to prevent exactly what happened here - imaginative raw materials provision during production. Eventually, for most of our orders, we would buy all material, receive and inspect it in house, and then ship it for the required production. so we knew what we should be getting back. If quantities didn't reconcile, everything stopped until we figured out why.

I came to understand the wisdom of the TC approved policies we followed for TC manufacturing approval, and, in retrospect, understood why, when I worked for deHavilland year earlier why they had so many notes on drawings and purchase orders - 'cause they'd paid the price of getting it wrong so many times before!

Respect the people who demand good QA, it's important!

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

316ss vs high carbon H11 steel even looks different in the wrought form. So many fails in this situation. I hope the pilots family are heavily compensated, he was a very good guy and he is missed.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”