Fall Equipment Bid

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Fall Equipment Bid

Post by Outlaw58 »

The forecasted hours include the Embraer flying and 0 hours for the DH8 obviously, which brings us to 90% of what Jazz alone was flying pre-covid.

---------- ADS -----------

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Did any of the bases grow or shrink as a result of this bid ?

Gravity always wins
Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Kosiw wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:53 pm Did any of the bases grow or shrink as a result of this bid ?
Baseline established to maintain base stability. However, there is an imbalance in that the bulk of the flying will be in the east. The baseline could be adjusted adhoc to allow pilot to migrate from West to East, but not the other way around.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

All classic Dash is gone by Feb and very little Q400 in YYZ left. A bit of growth for YYZ and YUL but status quo out west (due to the Asia flying reduced from the coof)

Let’s Go Brandon
QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

I had the numbers shared with me today, very interesting and again, all the best!

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Inverted2 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:27 pm All classic Dash is gone by Feb and very little Q400 in YYZ left. A bit of growth for YYZ and YUL but status quo out west (due to the Asia flying reduced from the coof)
So where are the YYZ Q400s going ?

Gravity always wins
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

All other bases but YYZ. YUL has a decent amount of Q expansion.

Let’s Go Brandon
Vico56
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Vico56 »

SO, is that a good thing ?

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

rudder wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:38 pm
Kosiw wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:32 pm

Rudder, does the 1326 flying positions mean "line pilots" (term you have used in previous posts on this subject) ?
Yes. Excludes inactive pilots (med leave/management/training department/LOA).

By way of comparison, the last Jazz equipment bid prior to COVID had 1300 flying positions. But it did NOT include the SKV E175 flying positions. SKV seniority list at time of consolidation was 283 but included management and training dept pilots and perhaps several LOA/med leave.

There are 328 E175 flying positions in the bid which is well beyond the SKV pilot totals when it was staffed separately.

The Jazz CBA and the CAR’s FTDT changes appear to have increased the staffing ratio. AC may also be planning increased utilization for the Express E175 fleet necessitating higher crewing levels.
I guess I'll ask the question that many of us are now wondering, based on this bid (the 1326 flying positions), is it possible that Jazz may have to hire this fall (sooner than speculated from previous posts), if once the bid closes not all of those laid off last year actually return to Jazz... (I understand the number will probably be a small %) ??? Or will things ramp up slowly especially due to training bottlenecks ??

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Gravity always wins
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Jazz hiring 2021? Zero possibility.

Slight chance spring 2022, but not based on current plan.

I would be leaning towards fall 2022 or winter 2022/2023.

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

rudder wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:32 am Jazz hiring 2021? Zero possibility.

Slight chance spring 2022, but not based on current plan.

I would be leaning towards fall 2022 or winter 2022/2023.
Management seems quite confident they will be hiring spring 2022 or maybe even winter 2022.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Kosiw wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:05 am
Kosiw wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:32 pm

Rudder, does the 1326 flying positions mean "line pilots" (term you have used in previous posts on this subject) ?

By way of comparison, the last Jazz equipment bid prior to COVID had 1300 flying positions. But it did NOT include the SKV E175 flying positions. SKV seniority list at time of consolidation was 283 but included management and training dept pilots and perhaps several LOA/med leave.

There are 328 E175 flying positions in the bid which is well beyond the SKV pilot totals when it was staffed separately.

The Jazz CBA and the CAR’s FTDT changes appear to have increased the staffing ratio. AC may also be planning increased utilization for the Express E175 fleet necessitating higher crewing levels.
I guess I'll ask the question that many of us are now wondering, based on this bid (the 1326 flying positions), is it possible that Jazz may have to hire this fall (sooner than speculated from previous posts), if once the bid closes not all of those laid off last year actually return to Jazz... (I understand the number will probably be a small %) ??? Or will things ramp up slowly especially due to training bottlenecks ??

Kosiw

I understand where your question comes from, ie if Jazz ends up with unfilled vacancies, will we hire? The thing is the baseline is a moving target that will be adjusted to match the current pilot list. The goal of this bid is to bring the pilots back online and get them trained with as much base stability as possible. It is safe to assume that the following bid, likely in January, will aim to balance the bases. This next bid MAY lead to new hiring, but so many things could happen between now and then that no one can really say. IF and its a big IF....the airlines continue to recover at the projected rate and we don't hit another speed bump along the way...hiring in the spring is a possibility.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Outlaw58 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:08 pm
Kosiw wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:05 am

Kosiw

I understand where your question comes from, ie if Jazz ends up with unfilled vacancies, will we hire? The thing is the baseline is a moving target that will be adjusted to match the current pilot list. The goal of this bid is to bring the pilots back online and get them trained with as much base stability as possible. It is safe to assume that the following bid, likely in January, will aim to balance the bases. This next bid MAY lead to new hiring, but so many things could happen between now and then that no one can really say. IF and its a big IF....the airlines continue to recover at the projected rate and we don't hit another speed bump along the way...hiring in the spring is a possibility.

Appreciate the response....and explanation :smt023

Gravity always wins
KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

YVR & YYC bases have gotten smaller
(DH8 reduction and attrition in other positions) (CRJ CA YYC sees 0 increased positions leading me to believe CRJ YYC's days are numbers in 2022-2023 bids)

YYZ & YUL bases have gotten bigger (thanks to E75)

Western Bases to remain smaller until Pacific flying/US Trans-border flying increases

This is all based on flying continually increasing......however, with Delta (Covid) and a possibly poor cold/flu/covid 4th wave this fall/winter.....its all a gamble at this point. Really depends on how the gov'ts around the world handle this and if we or anyone else goes into "lock downs" again.

I wouldn't expect hiring at Jazz until Fall/Winter 2022 or early 2023. I have been wrong a lot in the past and really hope I am, but I would be extremely "Cautiously Optimistic" at this point. I currently do not have faith in any govt around the world not throwing the brakes on again :shock:

Good Luck to everyone in this Equipment Bid 2021-1!

a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by a2btrail »

So many variables that will influence this upcoming bid....reduction... freezes... change in flying etc. It's hard to measure. I noticed that there are many vacancies on the E75. Do you guys believe the E75 will go SR or JR? Im thinking about leaving my equipment to bid onto it...

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

a2btrail wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:47 am So many variables that will influence this upcoming bid....reduction... freezes... change in flying etc. It's hard to measure. I noticed that there are many vacancies on the E75. Do you guys believe the E75 will go SR or JR? Im thinking about leaving my equipment to bid onto it...
Considering the freezes still apply, it all depends on what the DH8 guys will be bidding.

I see most of them bidding the Q4 but who knows

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

the-minister31 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:47 am
a2btrail wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:47 am So many variables that will influence this upcoming bid....reduction... freezes... change in flying etc. It's hard to measure. I noticed that there are many vacancies on the E75. Do you guys believe the E75 will go SR or JR? Im thinking about leaving my equipment to bid onto it...
Considering the freezes still apply, it all depends on what the DH8 guys will be bidding.

In YYZ most of the D8 pilots are bidding the E75 since the bid only shows 17 Q4 CA spots. Word is a lot of senior RJ pilots are bidding the E75 too.

Let’s Go Brandon
QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

the-minister31 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:47 am

I tend to agree; I have spoken to a couple friends who are interested in taking the RJ right seat as well coming right seat off the D8.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Inverted2 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:54 am

In YYZ most of the D8 pilots are bidding the E75 since the bid only shows 17 Q4 CA spots. Word is a lot of senior RJ pilots are bidding the E75 too.
Frozen pilots are …… frozen. Most pilots affected by type freeze are FO. D8 pilots are all free agents due reduction rights.

I would expect once bid results are published that top 30-35 EMB CA in YYZ will be new on type and top 20-25 EMB CA in YUL will be new on type as well.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

rudder wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:08 pm
Inverted2 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:54 am

Frozen pilots are …… frozen. Most pilots affected by type freeze are FO. D8 pilots are all free agents due reduction rights.

I would expect once bid results are published that top 30-35 EMB CA in YYZ will be new on type and top 20-25 EMB CA in YUL will be new on type as well.
I think those numbers will be higher, most dash captains want the emb, and there still will be RJ and possibly Q guys wanting it too

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”