AME Logbook question from college grad

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

A/C_Healer
Rank 0
Rank 0

AME Logbook question from college grad

Post by A/C_Healer »

Hello! I'd like to ask about AME logbook.
I was trying to find the answer of my question here and there but couldn't.

Currently, I'm a new grad of maintenance program college and looking for jobs.
As all u know, the completion of college covers 18 months out of 48 months for AME license.
In my logic, seems like tasks I had done during 18 months of my program should be filled in the logbook first before I start working.
But my college didn't guide anything about it. Before I ask my college, would be happy to hear from someone who knows about this here.
I may have not enough info about it bc I'm an international student.

Sorry for bothering if I keep asking something the same here.
But all of my international classmates including me are still confused about it.

Thank you in advance!
---------- ADS -----------

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: AME Logbook question from college grad

Post by YYCAME »

The logbook is supposed to document work completed and you don't really do all the steps for that in schools. That includes looking up correct parts, instructions, function tests and following all the proper standards to accomplish it on your own under the supervision of a licensed engineer. The school is there to teach you those steps and help guide you through them but they don't let you demonstrate that knowledge on flying aircraft. If you have finished your CARS section of school then you know where to look to for this information but I will cut and paste a bit of it for you.

"As proof of experience, the applicants shall submit a personal log book or equivalent document signed by the persons responsible for the maintenance release of the work items recorded." Schools don't maintain their aircraft to the degree that they need maintenance releases, so the work you do in school is undocumented and thus not eligible.

Here are more steps that are required and you should be able to see why it is not practical for the school to meet all these criteria.

"Each task claimed shall have been subject to a maintenance release pursuant to CAR 571.10, or an equivalent civil aviation maintenance certification under the rules of a contracting state.
(amended 2008/12/30)

(iv) Proof of having completed aircraft maintenance tasks shall take the form of a certification by the AME, or equivalent person who supervised the work. The certification statement shall include the date, aircraft type, registration mark, or component serial number as applicable, and confirm that the applicant is able to:

(A) identify the applicable standard for the task;

(B) select the proper tools;

(C) perform the work correctly without supervision; and

(D) complete the necessary documentation. "

Boeingjettech
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Boeingjettech »

YYCAME beat me by 2 min on the reply..

I may not be 100% right on this one. You CANNOT put the aircraft you repaired in college into your logbook. It is my understanding that the main reason that your tasks on college aircraft cannot be recorded in your logbook is due to the fact that they are not "registered" aircraft with a valid C of A. furthermore as stated in CARS the AME who is signing for your task completion is signing the maintenance release which college aircraft are not going anywhere anytime soon! I could be totally wrong and anyone who has been info can correct me. Its been almost 20 years for me since the college/apprenticeship days and CARS is not the type of light reading that I do in my spare time.

torqued
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by torqued »

If they don't fly, your working on a car. :rolleyes: :lol:

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

Boeingjettech wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:17 am YYCAME beat me by 2 min on the reply..

I may not be 100% right on this one. You CANNOT put the aircraft you repaired in college into your logbook. It is my understanding that the main reason that your tasks on college aircraft cannot be recorded in your logbook is due to the fact that they are not "registered" aircraft with a valid C of A. furthermore as stated in CARS the AME who is signing for your task completion is signing the maintenance release which college aircraft are not going anywhere anytime soon! I could be totally wrong and anyone who has been info can correct me. Its been almost 20 years for me since the college/apprenticeship days and CARS is not the type of light reading that I do in my spare time.
Correct.

I volunteered in School to work on an Avenger at a local museum and it didn't count as no C of A or Maintenance Release.

However I also did some on-call Line Maintenance while at school and those did count as they were live aircraft.

Return to “Maintenance”