Vax communication

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Dionysus
Rank 1
Rank 1

Vax communication

Post by Dionysus »

Laughing at the communication put out by the mec just now. I’ve read AcPa, jazz, cupe, sunwing and I understand transat is going this way too as they were advised a few days ago. All reasonable mature responses. Ours is like a shootout in the Wild West. The show gets better. Now backtracking with a last minute survey. Horse or cart or how does that go again? I’ve never seen such a divisive leadership group and saying they never got notice to discuss the topic in the fast read on mandatory vaccine. I call bs
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Vax communication

Post by co-joe »

Odd that they haven't really taken a stance internally by the sounds of your comments, but 2 days ago they said publicly that all employees current and future require vaccine by Oct 30th. "Fully immunized" is the wording in the press release which sounds like second dose plus 2 weeks to me.

https://lethbridgenewsnow.com/2021/09/0 ... employees/

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

Dionysus wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:05 am Laughing at the communication put out by the mec just now. I’ve read AcPa, jazz, cupe, sunwing and I understand transat is going this way too as they were advised a few days ago. All reasonable mature responses. Ours is like a shootout in the Wild West. The show gets better. Now backtracking with a last minute survey. Horse or cart or how does that go again? I’ve never seen such a divisive leadership group and saying they never got notice to discuss the topic in the fast read on mandatory vaccine. I call bs
Without commenting on the rest of your post, might I question your belief that you have never seen such a divisive leadership group? If I recall correctly, the MEC has been in place for approximately two months, maybe three? Have they really given you that much evidence that they (I believe that is the pronoun that they, er, the MEC, uses) are as divisive as you state?

As a postscript, might I add that your alias here on Avcanada seems to be appropriate, given the lack of a cohesive structure or adherence to proper grammar in your post. It would seem that you might have imbibed a little of the grape prior to your post. I am not passing any judgment; just making an observation.

Dionysus
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dionysus »

Another great example if you wish would be the mec putting out a note on “don’t pick up overtime” yet the yyc lec capt rep lists available and picks up a 4 day ot. :lol: another divisive move imho

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

Dionysus wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:40 am Another great example if you wish would be the mec putting out a note on “don’t pick up overtime” yet the yyc lec capt rep lists available and picks up a 4 day ot. :lol: another divisive move imho
Might I ask where you are getting your information on who lists "available" to pick up OT? Also, I wasn't aware that the MEC had put out a "don't pick up OT" memo. Do you have a date so I can look it up?

Additionally, when you state "another great example", that would presume that you had provided other "great examples". I think the jury is out on that one.

Dionysus
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dionysus »

ALPApolicy wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:04 am
Dionysus wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:40 am Another great example if you wish would be the mec putting out a note on “don’t pick up overtime” yet the yyc lec capt rep lists available and picks up a 4 day ot. :lol: another divisive move imho
Might I ask where you are getting your information on who lists "available" to pick up OT? Also, I wasn't aware that the MEC had put out a "don't pick up hOT" memo. Do you have a date so I can look it up?

Additionally, when you state "another great example", that would presume that you had provided other "great examples". I think the jury is out on that one.
Go do your own homework :lol: did you want me to
Make supper for you too?

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

Dionysus wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:50 pm
ALPApolicy wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:04 am
Might I ask where you are getting your information on who lists "available" to pick up OT? Also, I wasn't aware that the MEC had put out a "don't pick up hOT" memo. Do you have a date so I can look it up?

Go do your own homework :lol: did you want me to
Make supper for you too?
Well, normally, when I am making accusations against someone, I offer a little bit of proof. You are on here making accusations against a Captain at WJ and offering zero evidence, and criticizing me for asking for a little help in trying to confirm the evidence that you don't provide. I'm not sure what is :lol: about that.

redbusdriver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by redbusdriver »

you westjet guys are a clueless bunch :roll:

stabilizer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stabilizer »

IMHO, I think the new group of LEC/MEC have been doing a stellar job in their limited time at the helm. There has been a noticeable change of mentality, geared predominantly towards representing the pilot group FIRST and FOREMOST. No more "relationship" building with the company, sacrificing our WAWCON based on some kool-aid fantasy which was propagated for the previous 20+ years. When I read the communications now, I get the sense that these guys are a no BS type of group with good cohesion and all rowing in the same direction. No longer afraid to tell it like it is, even if it means ruffling some feathers in the head office. This is exactly the type of representation I would want, regardless if it's my union, my lawyer, my realtor etc. It's a business, not a charity.

Keep up the good work guys and gals!

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

redbusdriver wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:27 pm you westjet guys are a clueless bunch :roll:
I object to you assuming my gender. This isn't 2011, it's 2021.

lowandoverit
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lowandoverit »

Dionysus wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:05 am Laughing at the communication put out by the mec just now. I’ve read AcPa, jazz, cupe, sunwing and I understand transat is going this way too as they were advised a few days ago. All reasonable mature responses. Ours is like a shootout in the Wild West. The show gets better. Now backtracking with a last minute survey. Horse or cart or how does that go again? I’ve never seen such a divisive leadership group and saying they never got notice to discuss the topic in the fast read on mandatory vaccine. I call bs
You can really see the difference between when the jobs of the high seniority pilots are at risk compared to when the jobs of the low seniority pilots are at risk. Only wish that the layoff of 800 ish pilots during the pandemic inspired such a “unified” response.

stabilizer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stabilizer »

You can really see the difference between when the jobs of the high seniority pilots are at risk compared to when the jobs of the low seniority pilots are at risk.
This is a different MEC/LEC group we have today. More than 50% of the overall leadership group are new. Most significant, is a 100% new MEC.
I think you're going to find (and like) a very different tone going forward with the new group of pilots representing us. Perhaps what we should have had from the get-go when we first certified, but that's water under the bridge. There's no reason why we cannot lead the industry going forward.

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

redbusdriver wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:27 pm you westjet guys are a clueless bunch :roll:
In regards to????

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

And if the MEC did that it would be considered job action….

tca
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tca »

I saw it the other way… WJA MEC is standing up for their membership, not simply giving management whatever they want!! One or two other unions could learn a thing or two about that!!!

Dionysus
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dionysus »

tca wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:05 pm
I saw it the other way… WJA MEC is standing up for their membership, not simply giving management whatever they want!! One or two other unions could learn a thing or two about that!!!
Don’t ya think they should get their information straight first before they put out stuff that’s wrong? Things like don’t fill out the form when every company in the country has that right? Don’t you think the survey should have gone first? Why did they do that? Because they stepped in it :lol:

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Dionysus wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:30 pm
Don’t ya think they should get their information straight first before they put out stuff that’s wrong? Things like don’t fill out the form when every company in the country has that right? Don’t you think the survey should have gone first? Why did they do that? Because they stepped in it :lol:
The word is that the WJAMEC did not make themselves available until five days after the company requested a meeting with them. The WJAMEC allegedly was the only union in the company not to make themselves available.

With that said, I support ALPA and have full faith in them to stand up for our pilot group.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

Speaking of getting information straight, no one I have talked to remembers a communication from the MEC instructing members not to work OT. Are you absolutely sure there was one?

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

imjustlurking wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:06 am
The word is that the WJAMEC did not make themselves available until five days after the company requested a meeting with them. The WJAMEC allegedly was the only union in the company not to make themselves available.

With that said, I support ALPA and have full faith in them to stand up for our pilot group.
From my past experience doing union work, the company is rarely available when the union requests a meeting. Goes both ways.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

TFTMB heavy wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:10 am
imjustlurking wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:06 am

From my past experience doing union work, the company is rarely available when the union requests a meeting. Goes both ways.
In my opinion, there should always be a union representative that is capable of meeting with the company for urgent matters within 24 hours.

The fact that all of the other labour groups were able to meet on the short time frame shows that my opinion might be shared across several other work groups. Either way, five days is far too long to make themselves available.

Return to “WestJet”