CANPASS

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: CANPASS

Post by Roar »

Canada, only country in the world that the PIC has to phone customs before arrival. :roll:

I've taken to making my initial call at 3am Hamilton time.
---------- ADS -----------

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
kilocharliemike
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kilocharliemike »

Roar wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:35 pm Canada, only country in the world that the PIC has to phone customs before arrival. :roll:

I've taken to making my initial call at 3am Hamilton time.
probably the last to require faxing also...not that they ever receive it though...who still faxes

I enjoy pressing the english option and speaking french and vice versa, gets them all grumpy

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

Wtf is wrong with this agency?? When are they going to totally rehaul this garbage, antiquated system? Who can someone complain too, on hold for 30 mins and counting as I type this and seeing a customs vehicle sitting 100’ from me since I arrived!

StandingBy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by StandingBy »

We arrived in YEG the other day, called in, and were told that an officer was coming to meet us this time. We duly shut down and waited in the aircraft for 20 minutes before calling back to ask what the hold up was. After holding for a while we were told that the officers changed their minds, were given our CANPASS # and told to carry on with our day. Not the first time this has happened….

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

#yourworstCanPasstorygo

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

Blueontop wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:30 pm Wtf is wrong with this agency?? When are they going to totally rehaul this garbage, antiquated system? Who can someone complain too, on hold for 30 mins and counting as I type this and seeing a customs vehicle sitting 100’ from me since I arrived!
StandingBy wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:31 am We arrived in YEG the other day, called in, and were told that an officer was coming to meet us this time. We duly shut down and waited in the aircraft for 20 minutes before calling back to ask what the hold up was. After holding for a while we were told that the officers changed their minds, were given our CANPASS # and told to carry on with our day. Not the first time this has happened….
You two obviously did something to piss them off. LOL Never had to wait more than 5 minutes with CANPASS.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

broken_slinky wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:01 pm
Blueontop wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:30 pm Wtf is wrong with this agency?? When are they going to totally rehaul this garbage, antiquated system? Who can someone complain too, on hold for 30 mins and counting as I type this and seeing a customs vehicle sitting 100’ from me since I arrived!
StandingBy wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:31 am We arrived in YEG the other day, called in, and were told that an officer was coming to meet us this time. We duly shut down and waited in the aircraft for 20 minutes before calling back to ask what the hold up was. After holding for a while we were told that the officers changed their minds, were given our CANPASS # and told to carry on with our day. Not the first time this has happened….
You two obviously did something to piss them off. LOL Never had to wait more than 5 minutes with CANPASS.
Nope you are definitely the exception, go buy a lottery ticket

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loading... »

CANPASS is one of the best customs systems, I am sometimes done in 2 minutes.
Definitely it can be the quickest in best case scenario, and if they are slow, it is still faster than customs in Mexico, and sometimes in the US.

Topoff
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Topoff »

Right. We're spoiled. Get that first call in a day ahead, get you ArriveCans done and usually its only a few minutes wait.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

I can’t believe you guys are taking about the same Canpass here?

We are routinely waiting anywhere from 15 to 45 mins when making our arrival call, 45 mins just two days ago. 15 mins last night just finally have them answer and then tell us to wait for officers in 10 mins. Sometimes I’ve heard up to 2 hours waiting! This is at my operation across the board. Forget having to “make sure you call the day before” especially when flights pop up last min and your clearing multiple times a day. Sounds like you guys are more of a relaxed couple hundred hours a year tops with a few flights a month.

I’ll agree that if the system worked as intended it is a very fast system but it’s broke and even the CBSA officers agree with that and will readily admit when you complain.

I find the US way more intensive but at least they always meet you and very rarely take more then a few mins.

rippey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rippey »

I was on hold an hour and ten minutes on Sunday. Worst part was watching CBSA officers come and clear the aircraft next to us and then drive away - I understand there’s nothing to be done if you are ‘not on the list’ to be met, but it’s hard to explain that to the pax when they are waiting for over an hour and they see the pax on the other aircraft on their way in ten minutes. According to the customs officers on the actual airport the problem is with Hamilton TRC, their advice was to complain loudly and often to anyone that might be able to do something about it.

Brantford Beech Boy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brantford Beech Boy »

Been having long wait times ranging from 25 minutes to well over an hour.
I always call to set up the day before and I don't have much issue with sitting on hold while I'm in the hotel room.

What I have issue is with calling to report arrival time (selection 3) and being on hold for 25 to 1.5 hours.

Last clearance I did was in CYOW about a week ago. This was a customs stop only (no fuel or anything else) so I left the engines running anticipating a quick call and gone, which usually happens when we clear in Ottawa.
Sat on hold for 25 minutes until the call got dropped. Called back. Another 20 minutes.
My boss comes forward to ask about why we're taking so long, I say Hamilton won't answer their phone.
I'm now on hold for about 22 minutes and my boss says "I'll call them too..."
He dials, gets a person on the phone on the third ring. We clear in like 30 seconds, get report number and off we go.
Makes me think that "please stay on the line to maintain your priority sequence" is utter bullshit.

The other thing that really grinds my gears is that they won't open the CANPASS airports.
We have been a corporate member since as long as I have been with the company, and I understand why they shut it down with Covid, but FFS we have cleared the last 7 or 8 times at various airports, but particularly Kingston and Ottawa, where no one comes to meet us and we are cleared over the phone.
Just let us do that at the CANPASS airport and save me the extra leg and fuel

BBB

ps, that music while on hold is nightmare inducing with prolonged listening. :cry:

"Almost anywhere, almost anytime...worldwide(ish)"
NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NovaBoy »

Yup same here, crew was on hold for 70mins waiting to report their arrival time on Saturday. On Sunday it was 70mins for us. Even had the other crew member call the local office. They said there was nothing they could do. It’s pathetic. Rather have them just show up and clear us.

Dread leaving the country now because I hate dealing with Canpass to come home.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

But hey everyone broken_slinkey and Loading… have no issues and think this system is great. It’s obviously us that have done something wrong and “pissed” them off

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loading... »

Blueontop wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:28 pm But hey everyone broken_slinkey and Loading… have no issues and think this system is great. It’s obviously us that have done something wrong and “pissed” them off
I often clear customs multiple times a day into Canada using CANPASS, and I can honestly say it is the best system.
Everybody on AvCanada is just super bitter and hates everything about Canada.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Loading... wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:22 pm
Blueontop wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:28 pm But hey everyone broken_slinkey and Loading… have no issues and think this system is great. It’s obviously us that have done something wrong and “pissed” them off
I often clear customs multiple times a day into Canada using CANPASS, and I can honestly say it is the best system.
Bollock. See the picture I posted two months ago on page one of this thread. I wasn’t lying or embellishing.

Glad to hear you’ve had a good run so far with CBSA/CANPASS. (Lucky you!)

Signed; A non bitter corporate guy that doesn’t like needless delays for his boss and for the crew.

TPC

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

Loading... wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:22 pm

I may be bitter and hate-filled but Canpass still sucks

Rtodd
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Rtodd »

Currently on hold, 2h22m and counting. May have to extend rest period.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

Rtodd wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:37 pm Currently on hold, 2h22m and counting. May have to extend rest period.
No problem. Just get loading… to call them. He never has an issue, probably because your angry and bitter though

Checkspeed
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Checkspeed »

Rtodd wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:37 pm Currently on hold, 2h22m and counting. May have to extend rest period.
Currently on hold, 1H38m and counting. Is there a system outage? I haven’t had to hold more than 15-20 minutes for a long time.

Return to “Corporate”