SeaPlane Kit vor Cessna 172P

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

NorbertK
Rank 0
Rank 0

SeaPlane Kit vor Cessna 172P

Post by NorbertK »

Good day,

new to this board. We do operate a PA18 on Wiplane2100A in Europe. Just bought an Cessna 172P which I would like to convert to the Amphib 2100A. Where can I get more information on a Cessna SeaPlane Kit for the C172?

Thanks!
Norbert
---------- ADS -----------

TrilliumFlt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: SeaPlane Kit vor Cessna 172P

Post by TrilliumFlt »

If your looking for a Canadian solution these guys might have a answer, they currently offer the same for the 182.

https://www.acornwelding.com/float-kits

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

NorbertK wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:32 am Good day,
new to this board. We do operate a PA18 on Wiplane2100A in Europe. Just bought an Cessna 172P which I would like to convert to the Amphib 2100A. Where can I get more information on a Cessna SeaPlane Kit for the C172?
Thanks!
Norbert
Contact Wipaire and explain your situation. You will need to purchase the STC for the installation of the 2100's on to a different serial numbered aircraft. Once you have the floats registered to your aircraft they can then possibly send you the drawings applicable for installation of said floats. You will need to buy the 'Porkchops" and other rigging items applicable to 2100's on a 172. You may still need to access some Cessna drawings as well. Wipaire is good for letting you know what drawings are needed, but you need to contact Cessna for them. I'm basing this off my experience of a 206 and what hoops I have jumped through. Good luck.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I suggest that you go and fly a 172 amphibian before you invest in converting one. They're not rockets, and won't carry much. Before doing the conversion, do a very precise weight and balance for the proposed modification. It is a requirement that the plane be able to carry the pilot and full fuel, and all seats occupied (only two, I expect) and enough fuel for 1/2 hour at full power (which is not adequate for reserves anyway. Even a 172 as a straight floatplane is pretty limited, the weight of amphibian wheels takes more away from the useful load. Here in Canada, 18x Cessnas are common amphibians, often with an engine upgrade. There are very few 172 amphibians, they are not popular.

Consider a 182 instead, they have a lot more potential as an amphibian. Either Seaplanes West, or Wipline are very familiar with the 182 as an amphibian.

This 182 has the Seaplanes West conversion, and gross weight increase, and with that is still not a four seat airplane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgn3N12rTTk&t=112s

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Empty weight of an average float kitted C172P on wheels is around 1550. The floats add 296 lbs which equals 1846, which leaves 554 lbs. So 2 guys, no bags and 2.5 hours of fuel. OK for float training but useless for pretty much anything else. The 180hp upgrade doesn't give you much as you are float limited to a gross of 2426 so with the heavier engine you actually have less payload.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Empty weight of an average float kitted C172P on wheels is around 1550. The floats add 296 lbs which equals 1846, which leaves 554 lbs.
And that's a straight 172 floatplane, not an amphib, correct?

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

PilotDAR wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:01 pm
Empty weight of an average float kitted C172P on wheels is around 1550. The floats add 296 lbs which equals 1846, which leaves 554 lbs.
And that's a straight 172 floatplane, not an amphib, correct?
No that is for an amphib according to the Wipline webpage

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Hmmm, okay, 300 pounds sound light for amphib floats, but I'm used to bigger floats.... Wipline would know!

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

The 296lb is the exchange weight after subtracting the weight of the regular wheel gear. I find it plausible as the Wipline floats seem to be lightly made. The downside is they are not as tough as EDO’s or CAP’s.

Return to “Maintenance”