Airline crew commuting to Canada from USA questions.

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

mattas350
Rank 3
Rank 3

Airline crew commuting to Canada from USA questions.

Post by mattas350 »

Just looking to see what others are experiencing if you are living in the states and commuting to your flying job in Canada, what has your experience been with customs/airlines with regards to testing etc? Have you been in uniform when commuting/ arrivecan app info, Any info is appreciated!

Have a good day!
---------- ADS -----------

EasyTarget
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Airline crew commuting to Canada from USA questions.

Post by EasyTarget »

I had 2 experiences recently:

1. Returning from mandatory annual simulator training. Had ArriveCan filled out as required indicating exemption as per the regulations, and returned using NEXUS. I also had a letter from my employer indicating the purpose of my trip, how long I'd been in the USA and also laying out the exemption in the body of the letter. Showed customs my ArriveCan and Nexus, and had the letter ready. They asked for an explanation of why I was exempt, and if I had anything from my employer confirming it. Handed them the letter, and after a brief look at it was told "That sounds like fun, you're good to go." The entire interaction was about a minute.

2. Returning from a vacation with my wife from a warm island, not in the US. I had a letter from my employer indicating the date I was returning to Canada and that I was returning to work 2 days later. When I originally left the Country re-entry rules only required a PCR Test within 3 days of return, which I had done. While away the rules changed to also requiring test on arrival in Canada. When shown the letter indicating exemption due to returning to Canada to return to work I was informed no, I wasn't exempt as I'd been on vacation. I didn't argue, even if I disagreed with the interpretation. I went and got my Airport Test done, had the results in less than 24 hours, and was on another plane back to work. Had I not had my negative result prior to my flight back to work the next day I would've made inquiries as to whether the essential worker exemptions would have been in effect to play it safe.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

EasyTarget wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:45 pm I had 2 experiences recently:

1. Returning from mandatory annual simulator training. Had ArriveCan filled out as required indicating exemption as per the regulations, and returned using NEXUS. I also had a letter from my employer indicating the purpose of my trip, how long I'd been in the USA and also laying out the exemption in the body of the letter. Showed customs my ArriveCan and Nexus, and had the letter ready. They asked for an explanation of why I was exempt, and if I had anything from my employer confirming it. Handed them the letter, and after a brief look at it was told "That sounds like fun, you're good to go." The entire interaction was about a minute.

2. Returning from a vacation with my wife from a warm island, not in the US. I had a letter from my employer indicating the date I was returning to Canada and that I was returning to work 2 days later. When I originally left the Country re-entry rules only required a PCR Test within 3 days of return, which I had done. While away the rules changed to also requiring test on arrival in Canada. When shown the letter indicating exemption due to returning to Canada to return to work I was informed no, I wasn't exempt as I'd been on vacation. I didn't argue, even if I disagreed with the interpretation. I went and got my Airport Test done, had the results in less than 24 hours, and was on another plane back to work. Had I not had my negative result prior to my flight back to work the next day I would've made inquiries as to whether the essential worker exemptions would have been in effect to play it safe.
I may be wrong but I think he’s right for #2. Even if you’re an essential worker, vacation is still vacation and the exemption wouldn’t apply

kilocharliemike
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kilocharliemike »

This is an interesting topic.

So from this:

Crew members
Crew members that cross the border while performing their duties or for the immediate purpose of performing their duties

A crew member as defined in subsection 101.01(1) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations or a person who enters Canada only to become such a crew member
A member of a crew as defined in subsection 3(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations or a person who enters Canada only to become such a crew member
Use ArriveCAN to submit your travel details
Exempt from pre-entry test
Exempt from arrival test
Exempt from Day-8 test
Exempt from quarantine

If you are on this #2 scenario vacation and are called back to perform your duties then can you use your exempt status?

If you live in the US and omit the actual work start date on your company letter, and just say you have been called in to work in XX hours, would you also be able to claim exemption?

Any one with Land border experiences? Is it less stupid...?

KCM

EasyTarget
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EasyTarget »

I can add a little more insight into my two interactions listed above:

In #1 - some crew doing the exact same training as me had their spouse with them in the USA. When they tried to re-enter Canada together, they were told the exemption was not in effect because once you take your significant other with you, it's now a vacation. It really made no huge difference at the time for them.

For #2 - I fully expect that in the same scenario had I lived at either the destination I was returning from or was a US resident returning by myself to go back to work the aircrew exemption would have been accepted.

Because I had seen people returning with a spouse from training in scenario #1 not be allowed to use the exemption, I ensured I complied with all testing requirements and was prepared to play by the rules regarding short-term quarantine while I awaited my re-entry PCR test before departing on another flight to work.

The only possible question I may have had, if my re-entry negative PCR hadn't come back in time, is whether I would have been able to disregard the quarantine requirement and travel alone from my residence to my work. Thankfully, I don't need to cross that bridge and have cancelled upcoming leisure travel until things settle down again.

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

Might be slightly off course from the OP, but does anyone have any insight on what it’s like to live in the US but fly for a Canadian airline and commute cross border for work?

Wondering if this is even possible, what complications might look like, taxes etc.

I’m talking in a world where covid isn’t the bane of everyone’s existence and life is somewhat “normal” again.

Thanks,

T.

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

Transition9er2 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:39 pm Might be slightly off course from the OP, but does anyone have any insight on what it’s like to live in the US but fly for a Canadian airline and commute cross border for work?

Wondering if this is even possible, what complications might look like, taxes etc.

I’m talking in a world where covid isn’t the bane of everyone’s existence and life is somewhat “normal” again.

Thanks,

T.
I used to do that and there are lots of guys doing it. You need to have the legal right to live in the US of course.

Taxes can be slightly complicated. If you depart Toronto and arrive in LAX for example but live in New York you pay 50% tax to Canada/Ontario and 50% to US/New York. It used to be based on airspace but that changed. I just took my total hours flown divided by the gross on my T4 to come up with an average hourly rate to simplify it. I’d have to pay tax to every province I flew out of but state tax only in the state where I resided.

You no longer qualify for Canadian health care so you need to be covered under a spouse or buy your own insurance which can be extremely expensive. If you have a family plan $1000 plus for a high deductible plan.

Unless you’re a senior captain somewhere you’re probably better off working for a US airline.

Housing is significantly cheaper. I don’t know how Canadian pilots can afford to buy a house if they’re in the first few years payrate.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”