Trevor Jacob "staged" plane crash

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Trevor Jacob "staged" plane crash

Post by photofly »

I hope didn’t borrow it; he’s not going to be able to return it.
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Bonez
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bonez »

- No video of the inside of the cabin before losing power.
- Flew in the wrong direction
- Wore skydiving gear which he doesnt in any other video
- Opened the door before the engine cut out
- Crashed into a national park (no chance of getting authorization)
- No attempt to restart
- Slows the plane down to where the propeller isn't spinning
- Interfered with the scene of the crash by recovering his cameras
- Chartered a helicopter to remove the wreckage before NTSB and FAA investigated

Except for not having enough fuel to make it to his destination and thus avoiding casuing a forest fire I don't know what else he could have done wrong.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

photofly wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:33 am I hope didn’t borrow it; he’s not going to be able to return it.
Oh, he can return it. At significant cost. Whether it'll fly again is another question.

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

photofly wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:14 am Steady.

How do you feel about people who crash cars and trucks to make videos and movies? Any idea how many vehicles get intentionally wrecked, crashed, destroyed, detonated for each new Bond movie?

Haven’t you enjoyed Top Gear flinging old cars and caravans down mountainsides and into quarries?

Never watched Mythbusters destroy vehicles?

What’s the difference? Why all the hate just because it had wings?
Big difference. These other destructo-fests that you use as examples are done under controlled conditions where steps are taken to ensure that innocent bystanders can’t be hurt and there’s little or no risk for unintended property damage. Once this clown exited the airplane, he had little idea and obviously no control over where the airplane would end up.Totally irresponsible. I hope they throw the book at him.

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

Bonez wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:18 am - No video of the inside of the cabin before losing power.
- Flew in the wrong direction
- Wore skydiving gear which he doesnt in any other video
- Opened the door before the engine cut out
- Crashed into a national park (no chance of getting authorization)
- No attempt to restart
- Slows the plane down to where the propeller isn't spinning
- Interfered with the scene of the crash by recovering his cameras
- Chartered a helicopter to remove the wreckage before NTSB and FAA investigated

Except for not having enough fuel to make it to his destination and thus avoiding casuing a forest fire I don't know what else he could have done wrong.
One more to add: Has a fire extinguisher strapped to his leg under his pants. Presumably to save his cameras and recover the footage.

Attachments
firex 2.jpg
firex 2.jpg (35.25 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
Firex 1.jpg
Firex 1.jpg (59.46 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

Chris M wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:39 am One more to add: Has a fire extinguisher strapped to his leg under his pants. Presumably to save his cameras and recover the footage.
You don't fly with a fire extinguisher strapped to your leg under your pants? Don't know where you got your training but it was obviously some inferior school. That's like lesson 1.2 in the ground school. :lol:

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

His punishment should be to redo the crash, but without a parachute or a fire extinguisher.

With a punishment like that, he definitely won't pull the same reckless stunt again.

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

Are we convinced it "crashed" as shown on the video? Could that just be an edit to make it look like it crashed?

I guess he probably wouldn't have been carrying a fire extinguisher if that was the case.

Last edited by MrWings on Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

MrWings wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:34 pm Are we convinced it "crashed" as shown on the video? Could that just be an edit to make it look like it crashed?
The crash of the plane captured on the two cameras from about 3:30 on is the most realistic part of the whole video. Would have taken some pretty impressive skills to green screen that bird crashing into the terrain. That boy doesn't come across as that bright to be able to pull that off.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Way cheaper to buy a real plane and crash it :-)

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

Looks like the fine folks at the FAA pulled his license.
https://www.flyingmag.com/faa-pulls-pil ... ane-crash/

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Hopefully for good if it really was a stunt.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/you ... stigation/

The Department of Justice (DOJ) announced today in a memo that YouTuber Trevor Jacob, 29, agreed yesterday (May 10) to plead guilty to a felony charge for obstructing a federal investigation. According to the plea agreement with the U.S. States Attorney’s Office for the Central District of California, Jacob admits he deliberately destroyed the wreckage of the airplane he intentionally crashed “to gain online views.” Also according to the DOJ memo, Jacob “had secured a sponsorship from a company that sold various products, including a wallet. Pursuant to the sponsorship deal, Jacob agreed to promote the company’s wallet in a YouTube video that he would post.”

As previously reported, Jacob claimed that the engine of his vintage Taylorcraft quit on Nov. 24, 2021, and he was forced to bail out over hostile terrain. He posted a YouTube video of the incident about a month later that included promotional material for the wallet. Virtually everyone in the aviation community who watched the video immediately cried foul, citing multiple inconsistencies in his story.

Jacob’s pilot certificate was revoked in April 2022. But now, he faces obstruction charges that could result in a federal prison term of as much as 20 years, according to the DOJ memo.

It wasn’t until two days after the crash that Jacob reported it to the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), which then launched an investigation. NTSB investigators told Jacob he was responsible for preserving the wreckage and he agreed to provide investigators with the exact location of the Taylorcraft and his video footage of the accident from aircraft-mounted cameras and from a camera mounted on a selfie stick that he used to record the parachute jump.

However, according to the memo, Jacob instead lied to NTSB and FAA investigators in the following weeks, saying he didn’t know the location of the crash. And on Dec. 10, 2021, he and a friend removed the wreckage with a helicopter and used Jacob’s truck to tow it to Lompoc City Airport.

According to the DOJ memo, “He then cut up and destroyed the airplane wreckage and, over the course of a few days, deposited the detached parts of the wrecked airplane into trash bins at the airport and elsewhere, which he admitted in his plea agreement was done with the intent to obstruct federal authorities from investigating the November 24 plane crash.”

The memo continued, “Jacob further admitted he lied to federal investigators when he submitted an aircraft accident incident report that falsely indicated that the aircraft experienced a full loss of power approximately 35 minutes after takeoff. Jacob also lied to an FAA aviation safety inspector when he said the airplane’s engine had quit and, because he could not identify any safe landing options, he had parachuted out of the plane.”

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Straight to jail

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

flyingcanuck wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:28 pm Straight to jail
Yep. Once again, it's not the crime, it's the cover-up: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/ ... niel-jacob

YouTuber jailed after staging plane crash in California to make video

Trevor Daniel Jacob, 30, sentenced to six months for obstructing investigation by destroying wreckage
Associated Press in Los Angeles Tue 5 Dec 2023 09.19 GMT

An influencer who staged a plane crash in California to make a YouTube video of himself parachuting to safety has been sentenced to six months in federal prison for obstructing the investigation by destroying the wreckage.

Trevor Daniel Jacob, 30, an experienced pilot and skydiver, pleaded guilty in June to one count of destruction and concealment with the intent to obstruct a federal investigation.

The video titled I Crashed My Airplane appeared in December 2021 and purported to show Jacob’s small plane have engine failure over the mountainous Los Padres national forest in Santa Barbara county. Already wearing a parachute, he jumped out with a selfie stick camera in hand.

His jump and the aircraft’s plunge were recorded by cameras mounted on the plane’s wing and tail and by the camera he carried. After landing, he hiked to the crash site and recovered video from the onboard cameras, the government said.

The justice department said Jacob lied that he did not know the location of the wreckage. Photograph: youtube.com/@trevorjacob
According to the plea agreement, Jacob had a sponsorship deal to promote a company’s product in a video he would post, and he never intended to complete the 24 November 2021 flight.

The justice department said Jacob later informed federal investigators about the crash, was told he was responsible for preserving the wreckage, agreed to determine its location – and then lied that he did not know the location.

On 10 December 2021, Jacob and a friend flew to the site in a helicopter that was used to lift the wreckage and fly it to a trailer attached to his pickup truck, according to the agreement. The plane was later cut up, and the parts were disposed of in trash bins.

Jacob, of Lompoc, California, had his pilot licence revoked by the Federal Aviation Administration in 2022.

jetav8r
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jetav8r »

when he jumped, his headset was still around the neck. Huge safety issue, he could have been killed with the headset flopping around like that. sheesh, don't they learn, unplug when exiting the airplane.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Hope youtube demonetized his video for portraying an illegal act. I won't give him another click to find out.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright

Return to “General Comments”