Encore interview request

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

maverick12
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Encore interview request

Post by maverick12 »

tincandriver wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:54 pm
maverick12 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:38 am
PIC26 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:14 am Got a recent update saying they are considering 1500-2500 hr mark candidates only at the moment due to the enormous volume of applicants - Dont think that will change until things really pick up and all airlines are hiring at their pace to fill seats
I’m at around 1230 hours with my As written and internal referral. Application status changed from “Thank you for your application” to “Your application is in progress” back in the end of January. Think I have a shot?
I’m in the same boat. I applied at 1040, A’s done ( 1150 now) with internal reference, they got an email to submit interal references and was done so at the end of November and my status was changed to “ in progress” on 26th jan and no update since. Please let me know if you get any update so I can estimate my number in line lol. Thanks
Lol sure, good luck
---------- ADS -----------

Alkoa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Alkoa »

To better calculate your career path, here is some recent numbers. Encore flowed an average of 55 pilots a year to WestJet/Swoop pre-covid. Obviously, none during covid. They are on track to flow around 40 this year (half their objective). With about 600 pilots ahead, someone who join today can expect 10-12 years at Encore before flowing if nothing change.
Then you will flow to Swoop. You will be frozen for 2 years but most likely stuck there for longer while you wait your turn to flow to mainline. I think it's fair to say that right now, going through Encore, it's 12-15+ years before you fly for WestJet mainline (if they still exist by then).
Are there better options? Something to think about....

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

Alkoa wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:06 pm To better calculate your career path, here is some recent numbers. Encore flowed an average of 55 pilots a year to WestJet/Swoop pre-covid. Obviously, none during covid. They are on track to flow around 40 this year (half their objective). With about 600 pilots ahead, someone who join today can expect 10-12 years at Encore before flowing if nothing change.
Then you will flow to Swoop. You will be frozen for 2 years but most likely stuck there for longer while you wait your turn to flow to mainline. I think it's fair to say that right now, going through Encore, it's 12-15+ years before you fly for WestJet mainline (if they still exist by then).
Couldn't agree more. Encore have apparently had plenty of recent applications, and not all low timers as you'd expect. Its mind-boggling that anyone with a few thousand hours would maroon themselves at a regional with such subpar conditions.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Alkoa wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:06 pm To better calculate your career path, here is some recent numbers. Encore flowed an average of 55 pilots a year to WestJet/Swoop pre-covid. Obviously, none during covid. They are on track to flow around 40 this year (half their objective). With about 600 pilots ahead, someone who join today can expect 10-12 years at Encore before flowing if nothing change.
Being frozen at Swoop for longer than two years after flowing from Encore is not likely. Since you will have at least five or six years at Encore (with their promised of 100 pilots flowed in 2022), or especially after 10-12 years with your calculations, you are going to hold the seniority to go to WS over Swoop.

They aren't flowing anyone to mainline at the moment because they are restricted by the WS CBA. Once all pilots eligible to be recalled into WS are offered recall, they can start flowing again to main line.

In fact, the recent email sent out to Encore pilots explains the current situation very well. A lot of people aren't happy with this or that, but the plan is clear. Whether the objectives will be met is yet to be seen, but I am choosing to be optimistic instead of living my life pissed off at everything that comes around the corner.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

imjustlurking wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:12 am In fact, the recent email sent out to Encore pilots explains the current situation very well. A lot of people aren't happy with this or that, but the plan is clear. Whether the objectives will be met is yet to be seen, but I am choosing to be optimistic instead of living my life pissed off at everything that comes around the corner.
Sorry there's no place for optimism when you're planning a career. Just like marrying someone hoping that they'll change, you're far better to judge by previous actions.
Alkoa spelled out very clearly the number of pilots at Encore, and the average flow per year. That should solely be what people make decisions off on whether to come to Encore. Of course management is going to "plan" and "hope" and even "promise" to flow a hundred a year...they don't want people quitting in droves as opportunities arise elsewhere. Many were "promised" Encore was the only way to mainline, only to watch people with a quarter of their experience get hired straight to the 737. Promises mean nothing I'm afraid. They could easily have agreed (in writing, to address the crushingly-low morale in the pilot group) to a minimum flow percentage for remaining positions in 2021, did they do that? Of course not.
Far better to come to Encore with realistic expectations...8-10 years flying the Dash and then a spot at Swoop. If you expect anything more than that you'll likely be disappointed. Of course if wawcons improve in our next agreement then those 10 years are slightly more palatable.

Alkoa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Alkoa »

imjustlurking wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:12 am
Being frozen at Swoop for longer than two years after flowing from Encore is not likely. Since you will have at least five or six years at Encore (with their promised of 100 pilots flowed in 2022), or especially after 10-12 years with your calculations, you are going to hold the seniority to go to WS over Swoop.

They aren't flowing anyone to mainline at the moment because they are restricted by the WS CBA. Once all pilots eligible to be recalled into WS are offered recall, they can start flowing again to main line.

In fact, the recent email sent out to Encore pilots explains the current situation very well. A lot of people aren't happy with this or that, but the plan is clear. Whether the objectives will be met is yet to be seen, but I am choosing to be optimistic instead of living my life pissed off at everything that comes around the corner.
-100 is a forecast for 2023 (not 2022) that depend on many factors. One of them being how many pilots will jump the boat to go crew other ULCC for a better wawcon. When was the last time they flowed 100? Do you base your decisions on hope or on hard facts?
- True that the most senior guys at Encore right now may still have a shot to go straight to mainline (depend of flow)
-They are growing Swoop quickly to fight other ULCC. It makes sense, competition is heating up on this segment. 30 pink tails in the future will require a lot of crew. It's easy to see that the normal career progression will be Encore --> Swoop --> WestJet. Low seniority on the Q, mid seniority at Swoop and top seniority at WestJet.
- I'm glad you are happy and optimistic, makes life much easier. However I think it's important to step back, stop the coolaid and have a re-assessement. Especially when you start a career in this fast changing industry.

thepoors
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thepoors »

As Swoop continues to expand do you see flow stalling out there as well? Curious if the 2 years at Swoop is realistic or will guys there quickly be in the same boat as Encore? How was it pre-covid?

FlyAlberta
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlyAlberta »

Unfortunately one or some of the above posters have a 100% post history of pissing on Encore. They clearly currently work for Encore, and It really is unfortunate that they continue to be so negative towards the company, yet continue to CHOOSE to be employed there.

While I agree to an extent that history tells a story with a flow, imjustlurking (as much as I think he needs to shut up sometimes) posted accurate information about company intentions for flow. 70-80 this year and hopefully 100/year 2023 and beyond. Maybe it’ll ring true, maybe not. I think Encore has a great chief pilot and middle management in place and will do everything they can to make that happen.

The irony in it all, for the above poster, is that their flow date relies on the company being able to attract and retain pilots, yet his/her posts are clearly angled to dissuade someone from going to Encore. Maybe right, maybe wrong, but ironic none the less.

Considering the company plans to run an initial ground school every 2-3 weeks starting April 4 until the end of the year, that’s a lot of seats to start filling.

PIC26
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PIC26 »

Agree with the above post, YOU choose your own path and options. If you dont like it, then CHOOSE another way or company. I get everyone's frustration but Canadian aviation has always been a reactive industry when it comes to pay, deep down we just dont have the population to support anything more than 2 major carriers, maybe that is changing now with immigration and hopefully intl travel - but again, we will always be last to change pay and conditions and are definitely not comparable to USA/Europe . .. Europe/Asia/USA has been hiring 250+ hour pilots for years, we are JUST getting in on this model.

Also not sure why people are even comparing Swoop pay to WJ, I get its the same aircraft but any business mind will tell you, the very first thing Swoop is aiming to do is offer low fares, so the entire business model is based on this, from the pilot pay all the way to the water they choose to serve onboard - or not! WJ model has nothing to do with Swoop...if you apply to Swoop then you are applying to ULCC not a legacy carrier this should be your expectation.

If youre coming to Encore with the expectation to fly as a WJ captain in however many years, you will never be happy. Set your expectation low, in 2-4 years you can CHOOSE another option if you still dont like it. This industry will keep changing, this is business as usual.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

PIC26 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:39 pm Agree with the above post, YOU choose your own path and options. If you dont like it, then CHOOSE another way or company. I get everyone's frustration but Canadian aviation has always been a reactive industry when it comes to pay, deep down we just dont have the population to support anything more than 2 major carriers, maybe that is changing now with immigration and hopefully intl travel - but again, we will always be last to change pay and conditions and are definitely not comparable to USA/Europe . .. Europe/Asia/USA has been hiring 250+ hour pilots for years, we are JUST getting in on this model.

Also not sure why people are even comparing Swoop pay to WJ, I get its the same aircraft but any business mind will tell you, the very first thing Swoop is aiming to do is offer low fares, so the entire business model is based on this, from the pilot pay all the way to the water they choose to serve onboard - or not! WJ model has nothing to do with Swoop...if you apply to Swoop then you are applying to ULCC not a legacy carrier this should be your expectation.

If youre coming to Encore with the expectation to fly as a WJ captain in however many years, you will never be happy. Set your expectation low, in 2-4 years you can CHOOSE another option if you still dont like it. This industry will keep changing, this is business as usual.
My opinion is not met with great reception on AvCanada and it's also not a common opinion on the line, but I guarantee you as new faces come in, it will become more prevalent.

pacman007
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pacman007 »

So for somone starting out at swoop or encore now what is the upgrade time to mainline capt? 7-8years?

quote=Alkoa post_id=1184527 time=1645378814 user_id=70733]

-100 is a forecast for 2023 (not 2022) that depend on many factors. One of them being how many pilots will jump the boat to go crew other ULCC for a better wawcon. When was the last time they flowed 100? Do you base your decisions on hope or on hard facts?
- True that the most senior guys at Encore right now may still have a shot to go straight to mainline (depend of flow)
-They are growing Swoop quickly to fight other ULCC. It makes sense, competition is heating up on this segment. 30 pink tails in the future will require a lot of crew. It's easy to see that the normal career progression will be Encore --> Swoop --> WestJet. Low seniority on the Q, mid seniority at Swoop and top seniority at WestJet.
- I'm glad you are happy and optimistic, makes life much easier. However I think it's important to step back, stop the coolaid and have a re-assessement. Especially when you start a career in this fast changing industry.
[/quote]

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

pacman007 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:43 pm So for somone starting out at swoop or encore now what is the upgrade time to mainline capt? 7-8years?

quote=Alkoa post_id=1184527 time=1645378814 user_id=70733]

"100 is a forecast" - yes, that was a mistake on my end. I'm not sure why I wrote 2022.

"most senior guys ... have a shot to go straight to mainline" - yes, based on seniority and vacant positions.

"Do you base your decisions on hope or on hard facts?" - Somewhere in the middle. I am taking management on their word, but recognizing that until it's a contractual agreement, all it is is a promise yet to be fulfilled.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:50 am Far better to come to Encore with realistic expectations...8-10 years flying the Dash and then a spot at Swoop. If you expect anything more than that you'll likely be disappointed.
That's probably realistic. The wildcard is how many encore pilots ahead of you leave for greener pastures. If there's high attrition and you're willing to stay, that number will go down.

The truth is, narrow body growth at WJ is dead. The "flow" will likely be to Swoop.

elite
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by elite »

Bede wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:40 am
Canadaflyer46 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:50 am Far better to come to Encore with realistic expectations...8-10 years flying the Dash and then a spot at Swoop. If you expect anything more than that you'll likely be disappointed.
That's probably realistic. The wildcard is how many encore pilots ahead of you leave for greener pastures. If there's high attrition and you're willing to stay, that number will go down.

The truth is, narrow body growth at WJ is dead. The "flow" will likely be to Swoop.
It’s really bizarre how fascinated WestJet pilots are with situation at Encore, seemingly more than their own airline!
You don’t see Air Canada pilots obsessing over conditions at Jazz, they are more than capable to look after themselves and if they want, they do have great opportunities to flow over to Air Canada, much better than Encore. Maybe if you guys looked after your own airline and negotiated better contracts, you’d be farther ahead, and so would Encore.

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

elite wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:43 pm

It’s really bizarre how fascinated WestJet pilots are with situation at Encore, seemingly more than their own airline!
You don’t see Air Canada pilots obsessing over conditions at Jazz, they are more than capable to look after themselves and if they want, they do have great opportunities to flow over to Air Canada, much better than Encore. Maybe if you guys looked after your own airline and negotiated better contracts, you’d be farther ahead, and so would Encore.
It's a little different no? Air Canada and Jazz are separate airlines but WJ and Encore are both part of the westjet group of companies, so yes I would think WJ pilots would be more concerned with the situation at encore than AC pilots with the situation at jazz

elite
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by elite »

scdriver wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:11 pm

It's a little different no? Air Canada and Jazz are separate airlines but WJ and Encore are both part of the westjet group of companies, so yes I would think WJ pilots would be more concerned with the situation at encore than AC pilots with the situation at jazz
No actually they are very similar. Air Canada owns or leases all aircraft for Jazz which in turn only flies for Air Canada. Air Canada may in fact have other regional carriers, which it has over the years, especially when it wanted to punish Jazz for stepping out of line and flying for others.

Encore is not owned by WestJet but by the parent group, however it is a separate company that has a separate AOC and separate bargaining unit, and who knows, in the future it too may have sister regional carriers within the group or be merged with them. For all these reasons and more, it was set up separately.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

elite wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:34 pm
scdriver wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:11 pm
No actually they are very similar. Air Canada owns or leases all aircraft for Jazz which in turn only flies for Air Canada. Air Canada may in fact have other regional carriers, which it has over the years, especially when it wanted to punish Jazz for stepping out of line and flying for others.

Encore is not owned by WestJet but by the parent group, however it is a separate company that has a separate AOC and separate bargaining unit, and who knows, in the future it too may have sister regional carriers within the group or be merged with them. For all these reasons and more, it was set up separately.
"For all these reasons and more"

I prefer the "divide and conquer" theory.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

What I find ironic is how Encore hired you largely based on your answers to behavior descriptive questions, ie they used your past performance to judge your future performance.

Tell us about a time Encore promised 100 pilots would flow and then only flowed 40, how did you deal with it and what were the results?

PIC26
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PIC26 »

Has anyone been contacted about interviews, or been offered a GS date past May? If so what was were your hours? Thanks in advance

Maskless1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Maskless1 »

Deleted

Last edited by Maskless1 on Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “WestJet Encore”