YEG VFR Offer

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

moosetracks
Rank 1
Rank 1

YEG VFR Offer

Post by moosetracks »

Well, after 2 years it looks like VFR is kicking off in YEG again. Offers for VFR are being made.

I had IFR as first preference but am curious for those in the know what are the general odds of placement, ease of transfer (say 5 years in?) and pay differences of the towers in AB, Whitehorse, and Yellowknife.

I think I would prefer the job of VFR, but don't really want to get stuck in Fort Mac. On the plus side there are a bunch of towers so I suppose moving to various cities is at least an option unlike the relatively limited FIC locations. Thoughts?
---------- ADS -----------

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: YEG VFR Offer

Post by outflying8 »

moosetracks wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:55 pm Well, after 2 years it looks like VFR is kicking off in YEG again. Offers for VFR are being made.

I had IFR as first preference but am curious for those in the know what are the general odds of placement, ease of transfer (say 5 years in?) and pay differences of the towers in AB, Whitehorse, and Yellowknife.

I think I would prefer the job of VFR, but don't really want to get stuck in Fort Mac. On the plus side there are a bunch of towers so I suppose moving to various cities is at least an option unlike the relatively limited FIC locations. Thoughts?
I got my VFR offer in December for this April and accepted without hesitation. Beyond excited.

Fort mac is actually quite nice and honestly not a bad tower. Yellowknife would be my least desirable by far, Whitehorse is also an awful location. Red deer would be excellent location but overwhelming majority of it is PPL and student pilots so I could see it being patience building lol.

I had IFR also as first choice, but eventually my dream is to be in the tower at YYC, will just need 5-7 years in a crappier spot before I can bid it I think.

:D I love all respectful dialogue of multiple views and opinions. If you want to chat with me directly, please do send me a PM :) :D
FutureINatc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FutureINatc »

Congrats on the opportunity MT.

My experience is based in IFR control, but I’ll offer my two cents based on what I know, and hopefully it can help guide you to make a decision.

Placement is always based on need and rn there is a significant need across the country for IFR AND VFR controllers alike. MOTs (Manager of Training), will generally consult with the course directors so to place students where they have the greatest opportunity to check out, and this goes for all streams and specialities.

With a recent change to the internal bidding process; your opportunity to transfer out should be improved compared to before. At least with IFR classes, 50% of enrolment, is now available to seniority bids (aka internal employees) and your opportunity to transfer to other towers (VFR) would be based on openings. As with most union based employers, seniority provides increased flexibility.

Lastly, if you reference the CATCA CBA, you should be able to get an idea of the starting rate of pay, along with the current site premiums. Vancouver, Toronto ACC being the highest at around an extra 25k / year, while some towers may be around 4k.

VFR is a great career and while it requires some significant dedication for the period of training the pay, benefits and IMO the work make it the type of career you will never want to leave.

Hope this helps!

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

FutureINatc wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:25 am
VFR is a great career and while it requires some significant dedication for the period of training the pay, benefits and IMO the work make it the type of career you will never want to leave.

Hope this helps!
+1. I know several controllers at smaller VFR traffic airports in western Canada. Some are going on 10+ years at VFR towers. Great quality of life. Especially when some of the towers are only open for limited hours to begin with.

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

They didn't bid out to go to the bigger towers at YEG or YYC? or just no openings? I shutter at the thought of 10 years in yellowknife, but it is what I am signing up for (just hope it doesn't come to that)

:D I love all respectful dialogue of multiple views and opinions. If you want to chat with me directly, please do send me a PM :) :D
16SidedOffice
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 16SidedOffice »

VFR is a great way to go and get your foot in the door and then move up from there. Its FAR easier to both train for and qualify than any of the IFR units.

mckinley007
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mckinley007 »

outflying8 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:07 pm
moosetracks wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:55 pm Well, after 2 years it looks like VFR is kicking off in YEG again. Offers for VFR are being made.

I got my VFR offer in December for this April and accepted without hesitation. Beyond excited.

Fort mac is actually quite nice and honestly not a bad tower. Yellowknife would be my least desirable by far, Whitehorse is also an awful location. Red deer would be excellent location but overwhelming majority of it is PPL and student pilots so I could see it being patience building lol.

I had IFR also as first choice, but eventually my dream is to be in the tower at YYC, will just need 5-7 years in a crappier spot before I can bid it I think.
When deciding on a location preference what criteria are you applying? Quality of life on the job or outside? How about training success rates? Just curious why Fort Mac is more preferred than others.

BoardManPaid
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BoardManPaid »

Rule #1 with Nav is get your foot in the door. You can open the rest once you're in.

If ATC has always been something you've wanted you'll regret not doing it for the rest of your life.

Good Luck

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

mckinley007 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:23 pm
outflying8 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:07 pm

When deciding on a location preference what criteria are you applying? Quality of life on the job or outside? How about training success rates? Just curious why Fort Mac is more preferred than others.
I’m sure everyone is different, but I prioritize airports along highway 2 first ideally close to YYC for family reasons, next preference is towers with more professional traffic, and the reason I put Fort max above some others is the community itself is actually really nice, and we have the bonus of a cousin that lives there right now

kaye.boe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kaye.boe »

Just switched my application to the YEG region (due to personal reasons). Waiting for an interview, so I'm really hoping I didn't miss the mark on this round of people getting e-mails for one. Pretty sure my application expires in Feb/Mar, would really be unfortunate to have to restart without knowing when in-person testing starts again.

Congrats to everyone so far! Exciting to hear the ball is rolling again!

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

kaye.boe wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:57 am Just switched my application to the YEG region (due to personal reasons). Waiting for an interview, so I'm really hoping I didn't miss the mark on this round of people getting e-mails for one. Pretty sure my application expires in Feb/Mar, would really be unfortunate to have to restart without knowing when in-person testing starts again.

Congrats to everyone so far! Exciting to hear the ball is rolling again!
If they are calling for assessments right now, they wouldn't be inviting for the 2 day boot camp (when you do interviews) yet.... if you really want to know, best to reach out to the careers email at Nav.

I am one of those weird guys that enjoyed the FEAST assessment lol. Mind you I also applied a few years prior under the old written exams and those were substantially less fun.

throw_away
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by throw_away »

outflying8 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:57 pm I shutter at the thought of 10 years in yellowknife, but it is what I am signing up for (just hope it doesn't come to that)
Digital facilities are one of NAV CANADA's strategic priorities: https://www.navcanada.ca/en/our-strateg ... ities.aspx

Using the EU ATM master plan as a guide, the operation of digital facilities is penciled in for 2027: https://www.atmmasterplan.eu/exec/deplo ... os/2147228

yegtc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yegtc »

Anyone received a VFR or IFR offer for the upcoming Fall course in YEG?

Wondering if I missed out this round, but optimistically hoping they just haven't gone out :D

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”