Windy in YBW

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

robshelle
Rank 3
Rank 3

Windy in YBW

Post by robshelle »

---------- ADS -----------

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Windy in YBW

Post by goldeneagle »

Clickbait subject, nothing but a link that doesn't work.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

a C182 flipped while taxiiing in a 53 kt quartering tailwind. I have the vid but not technologically savvy enough to post it

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rigpiggy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:06 pm a C182 flipped while taxiiing in a 53 kt quartering tailwind. I have the vid but not technologically savvy enough to post it
Where is the video. What sort of program/app/media

robshelle
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by robshelle »

https://youtu.be/7qe10LNFY6k

Try this instead. I had to video it off my phone, hopefully it works.

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

I canceled one flight. The wind was right down the runway, but I didn't like the odds of a flip over during taxi.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

robshelle wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:22 am https://youtu.be/7qe10LNFY6k

Try this instead. I had to video it off my phone, hopefully it works.
It was hard to tell....I looked at the video several times and it almost seemed like he has up elevator with the tailwind but not sure. Can anyone else tell.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Further to this the recovery crew looped the chokers around the fuselage crushing it written off

Trunorth
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Trunorth »

Anyone know if this was a training flight? Aerobatics? A/C registration?
Hope no one was injured other than pride.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

rigpiggy wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:13 am Further to this the recovery crew looped the chokers around the fuselage crushing it written off
Sadly a lot of repairable airplanes have been ruined by the recovery crew.

robshelle
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by robshelle »

Trunorth wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:08 am Anyone know if this was a training flight? Aerobatics? A/C registration?
Hope no one was injured other than pride.
I heard that all flight schools in YBW were not operating that day due to the winds.

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

pelmet wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:24 pmit almost seemed like he has up elevator with the tailwind but not sure. Can anyone else tell.
The “C 182” starts to advance forward, goes across a slight down-bump (tail first dips down) and coincidently then brakes applied (PIO …tail then goes high / nose strut depressed). The downwind 2 wheels get the weight transfer (right front corner top heavy with the drag) as the left main starts to raise in the extreme left tailquartering crosswind. The left wing and fuselage seem to harness enough wind power to take it right over its CofG at the 2 remaining weigh-carrying points.

It is possible the elevator down is not able to suppress as much from that particular crosswind direction/speed either. There is a report of a loaded 208 that did this during taxi (same wind direction tip-dynamics) in similar wind strength but not right over (similar damaged nose and right wingtip) where the narrative mentions ‘despite correct control positioning’.

Surprising to me to watch how slowly it gradually flips over after the point where nose and right wingtip had impacted down to the pavement so fast already. The increasing incidence angle of the left wing underside into that wind must be what makes the powerful enough lift to flip the rest of the way. The start of the tipping event must be partly from the side force on the fuselage which at the ‘sustained’ strength can’t be countered enough anymore with left aileron in full down position (crosswind component just too strong).

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Pro-tip: When the winds are equal to your stall speed, it's best to tie down and hunker down.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

That's a very good tip.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

RatherBeFlying wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:46 pm The wind was right down the runway.
11:40am started to get real strong (CYBW wunderground history), by 12:13pm / 1913Z was strongest of the day.

Does sharp braking (abrupt stop) shift fuel to help it tip ?

Last edited by pdw on Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Can you find the TAF for that day. It would be interesting to see.

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

pelmet wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:38 am Can you find the TAF for that day. It would be interesting to see.
CYBW 111240z 1113/1201 20010kt P6SM BKN 200 BECMG 1119/1121 27025G35kt

CYBW 111740z 1118/1205 27020G30kt P6SM FEW 250 TEMPO 1120/1124 27030G40kt

Tip during taxi for TKOF Jan11/2022 12:20pm/1920z / CochraneNow news article Jan14

The 1740Z issue has 5KT lower wind speed for 1920Z than the 1240Z TAF, although the update also projected sustained winds doubling 10KTS to 20 (30KT gusts) one hour earlier than the original (1hr 20min before accident).

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

C-GROC, a privately registered Cessna 182N was conducting a flight from Springbank (CYBW),
AB to Bonnyville (CYBF), AB with one pilot on board. As the aircraft was taxiing to the departure
runway, the wind caught the left wing and flipped the aircraft over upside down on the taxiway. The
aircraft sustained significant damage; however, the pilot evacuated the aircraft uninjured. The
METAR for the CYBW airport issued 20 minutes before the accident reported winds at 280°T 28
gusting 44 knots. A special observation issued just before the accident reported winds 280°T at 40
gusting 53 knots.

Gotta watch those forecasts. The other day we had a forecast of gusts to 35K. I thought of this incident here. The metar a few hours later showed gusts to 41K.

Here is another interesting video....

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CcdFqMbA ... _copy_link

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Another flipover, this one in Toronto. I don't thin I have ever bee caught out in a thunderstorm in a light aircraft. I wonder of it is best to turn into wind. Any suggestions?

C-GQFA, a Cessna 172M aircraft with an instructor and student pilot were conducting circuits at
Toronto Buttonville airport (CYKZ), ON. The aircraft was on the fourth approach to Runway 21, on
the base leg, when the instructor noted weather rapidly closing in on the airport. The aircraft
encountered light wind shear on approach, but was stabilized on short final. The instructor took
control and landed the aircraft, the winds were estimated to be around 230@15-20kts. The aircraft
touched down on runway 21 just passed Echo taxiway and came to a complete stop at Charlie
taxiway.

The instructor taxied the aircraft to exit the runway and passed control to student. The student
taxied normally on taxiway Alpha and crossed runway 33. The winds picked up significantly from
the rear left of the aircraft after exiting runway 33 on alpha, along with heavy rain and hail. The
instructor took over and applied full input to the control column to counteract the wind. When the
aircraft reached the last row of aircraft, a sudden strong gust of wind lifted the tail and the aircraft
flipped over. The instructor secured the engine and both the instructor and student egressed the
aircraft through their respective doors with minor injuries.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”