DA40 vs SR20

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: DA40 vs SR20

Post by CpnCrunch »

Aviatard wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:15 pm

Emsdale, elevation 1150, has a 2500 foot and a 2000 foot runway. My DA40 POH takeoff performance chart shows for a 30C day and 2000 foot pressure altitude, no wind and max gross weight of 2535 pounds, on short grass would require about 1650 feet takeoff roll. It's doable but not much margin.
You should be using 1150ft pressure altitude, as PA isn't affected by temperature. The DA will increase, but that is taken into account by using the 30C point on the chart.
---------- ADS -----------

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

CpnCrunch wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:02 pm
Aviatard wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:15 pm

Emsdale, elevation 1150, has a 2500 foot and a 2000 foot runway. My DA40 POH takeoff performance chart shows for a 30C day and 2000 foot pressure altitude, no wind and max gross weight of 2535 pounds, on short grass would require about 1650 feet takeoff roll. It's doable but not much margin.
You should be using 1150ft pressure altitude, as PA isn't affected by temperature. The DA will increase, but that is taken into account by using the 30C point on the chart.
Well sure but PA is affected by pressure. Granted a pressure of 29.07 might be a bit unusual. Using 2000 PA just made it easier to read the PDF chart on my phone.

davidnapper1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by davidnapper1 »

I love this forum. Learning from you all is so great! This lead me to one big question I hadn't thought about yet which is the condition of the strip in Emsdale.I was just looking at grass strip as just that but looking at the Diamond charts it is considerably different based on the condition of the strip. I was looking at average pressure in summer in Muskoka and it's like 1013 to 1014 hPa so using let's say 1,500 PA for fun, I see a ground roll on the NG around 1400 feet at max gross 2,888lbs that is paved dry. I didnt factor in any grass or soft field component. I think from all of this I actually need to go and visit the field before making any big decision. I know the strip is there but because I am new pilot I hadnt any real need to go see it and talk to people. I think that is my first step to really be able to make an informed decision. Wait until spring and go and talk with the local pilots

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

davidnapper1 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:47 pm I love this forum. Learning from you all is so great! This lead me to one big question I hadn't thought about yet which is the condition of the strip in Emsdale.I was just looking at grass strip as just that but looking at the Diamond charts it is considerably different based on the condition of the strip. I was looking at average pressure in summer in Muskoka and it's like 1013 to 1014 hPa so using let's say 1,500 PA for fun, I see a ground roll on the NG around 1400 feet at max gross 2,888lbs that is paved dry. I didnt factor in any grass or soft field component. I think from all of this I actually need to go and visit the field before making any big decision. I know the strip is there but because I am new pilot I hadnt any real need to go see it and talk to people. I think that is my first step to really be able to make an informed decision. Wait until spring and go and talk with the local pilots
You can always talk, but you'll always find pilots who will say that what you are planning is unsafe, and there will always be those who will say there is nothing to it. Doesn't matter what you are trying to accomplish.

Best way would be to see what other planes are successfully taking off from the strip you are intending to use. Note that a lot of planes can take a lot of abuse on the landing gear. Grass really isn't a big deal. 5 inch deep ruts or gravel in your propeller could be.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

davidnapper1 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:47 pm I was looking at average pressure in summer in Muskoka and it's like 1013 to 1014 hPa so using let's say 1,500 PA for fun
That would still be 1150 PA...

A 2300ft grass strip at 1100ft elevation is absolutely safe and fine for a typical piper/cessna as long as it's in reasonable condition. No idea about the DA-40. Generally grass strips only get soft after rain or after snow melt. But even then, it depends how the strip is drained...many grass strips are fine in the wet. If in doubt, call the airport or get a report on conditions before landing there.

Return to “General Comments”